Recognizing one-dimensional Euclidean preference profiles
AbstractA preference profile has a one-dimensional Euclidean representation if it can be derived from an arrangement of individuals and alternatives on a line, with each individual preferring the nearer of each pair of alternatives. We provide a polynomial-time algorithm that determines whether a given preference profile has a one-dimensional Euclidean representation and, if so, constructs one. This result has electoral and mechanism design applications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Mathematical Economics.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco
Spatial elections Preference representation Mechanism design;
Other versions of this item:
- Vicki Knoblauch, 2008. "Recognizing One-Dimensional Euclidean Preference Profiles," Working papers 2008-52, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laslier, J.F., 1995. "Multivariate Analysis of Comparison Matrices," Papers 9504, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Bogomolnaia, Anna & Laslier, Jean-Francois, 2007.
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 87-98, February.
- Miguel Angel Ballester & Guillaume Haeringer, 2006.
"A Characterization of Single-Peaked Preferences,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
656.06, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jean-François Laslier, 2003. "Analysing a preference and approval profile," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 229-242, March.
- Jon Eguia, 2013. "On the spatial representation of preference profiles," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 103-128, January.
- Azrieli, Yaron, 2011. "Axioms for Euclidean preferences with a valence dimension," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(4-5), pages 545-553.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.