A Characterization of Single-Peaked Preferences
AbstractWe identify in this paper two conditions that characterize the domain of single-peaked preferences on the line in the following sense: a preference profile satisfies these two properties if and only if there exists a linear order L over the set of alternatives such that these preferences are single-peaked with respect L. The first property states that for any subset of alternatives the set of alternatives considered as the worst by all agents cannot contains more than 2 elements. The second property states that two agents cannot disagree on the relative ranking of two alternatives with respect to a third alternative but agree on the (relative) ranking of a fourth one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Barcelona Graduate School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 273.
Date of creation: Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Single-peaked preferences; lineal order;
Other versions of this item:
- Miguel Angel Ballester & Guillaume Haeringer, 2006. "A Characterization of Single-Peaked Preferences," UFAE and IAE Working Papers, Unitat de Fonaments de l'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (UAB) and Institut d'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (CSIC) 656.06, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demange, Gabrielle, 1982. "Single-peaked orders on a tree," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 389-396, December.
- Haluk I. Ergin, 2002. "Efficient Resource Allocation on the Basis of Priorities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 70(6), pages 2489-2497, November.
- H. Moulin, 1980. "On strategy-proofness and single peakedness," Public Choice, Springer, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 437-455, January.
- Nehring, Klaus & Puppe, Clemens, 2007. "The structure of strategy-proof social choice -- Part I: General characterization and possibility results on median spaces," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 269-305, July.
- Barbera, S. & Sonnenschein, H., 1988.
"Voting By Quota And Committee,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers, Unitat de Fonaments de l'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (UAB) and Institut d'AnÃ lisi EconÃ²mica (CSIC)
95-88, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Klaus, Bettina & Peters, Hans & Storcken, Ton, 1997. "Strategy-proof division of a private good when preferences are single-dipped," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 339-346, September.
- Salvador Barbera & Hugo Sonnenschein & Lin Zhou, 1990.
"Voting by Committees,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University
941, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Vicki Knoblauch, 2008. "Recognizing a Single-Issue Spatial Election," Working papers, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics 2008-26, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- BOSSERT, Walter & PETERS, Hans, 2006.
Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques
2006-14, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- BOSSERT, Walter & PETERS, Hans, 2006. "Single-Peaked Choice," Cahiers de recherche, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ 11-2006, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Bossert, Walter & Peters, Hans, 2006. "Single-peaked choice," Research Memorandum, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR) 037, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Knoblauch, Vicki, 2010.
"Recognizing one-dimensional Euclidean preference profiles,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-5, January.
- Vicki Knoblauch, 2008. "Recognizing One-Dimensional Euclidean Preference Profiles," Working papers, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics 2008-52, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.