Can off farm employment affect the privatization of social safety net? The case of self-employed farm households
AbstractThis study uses a two-stage econometric framework with farm household level data to investigate whether off-farm work of operators and spouses influences healthcare expenditures and retirement savings. Results indicate that agricultural policy discourages off-farm work by farm operators and spouses. However, off-farm work decisions of farm couples significantly decrease healthcare expenditures and increase retirement savings of farm households in the US. The effect of farm spouse’s off-farm employment on household retirement saving is more pronounced. These conclusions can extend to middle-income countries where off-farm work may enable farmers to afford better healthcare and retirement pension plans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
Agricultural policy; Off-farm work; Healthcare expenditures; Retirement savings;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James M. Poterba & Steven F. Venti & David A. Wise, 1993.
"Do 401(k) Contributions Crowd Out Other Persoanl Saving?,"
NBER Working Papers
4391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poterba, James M. & Venti, Steven F. & Wise, David A., 1995. "Do 401(k) contributions crowd out other personal saving?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 1-32, September.
- Joe Dewbre, 2006. "The Impact of Coupled and Decoupled Government Subsidies on Off-Farm Labor Participation of U.S. Farm Operators," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 393-408.
- Huffman, Wallace, 1980.
"Farm and Off-Farm Work Decisions: The Role of Human Capital,"
Staff General Research Papers
10973, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace E, 1980. "Farm and Off-Farm Work Decisions: The Role of Human Capital," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 14-23, February.
- E. Phimister & D. Roberts, 2006. "The Effect of Off-farm Work on the Intensity of Agricultural Production," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 34(4), pages 493-515, August.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & John Karl Scholz, 1993.
"Private Saving and Public Policy,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 7, pages 73-110
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tin Su & Subhash Pokhrel & Adjima Gbangou & Steffen Flessa, 2006. "Determinants of household health expenditure on western institutional health care," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 195-203, September.
- Huffman, Wallace E & Lange, Mark D, 1989.
"Off-Farm Work Decisions of Husbands and Wives: Joint Decision Making,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 471-80, August.
- Huffman, Wallace & Lange, Mark D., 1989. "Off-Farm Work Decisions of Husbands and Wives: Joint Decision Making," Staff General Research Papers 10986, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Patricia Justino, 2003.
"Social Security in Developing Countries: Myth or Necessity? Evidence from India,"
PRUS Working Papers
20, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Patricia Justino, 2007. "Social security in developing countries: MYTH or necessity? Evidence from India," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 367-382.
- Guido W. Imbens & Donald B. Rubin & Bruce Sacerdote, 1999.
"Estimating the Effects of Unearned Income on Labor Supply, Earnings, Savings, and Consumption: Evidence from a Survey of Lottery Players,"
NBER Working Papers
7001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, G.W. & Rubin, D. & Sacerdote, B., 1999. "Estimating the effect of unearned income on labor supply, earnings, savings and consumption: Evidence from a survey of lottery players," Discussion Paper 99.34, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Euwals, Rob & Eymann, Angelika & Borsch-Supan, Axel, 2004. "Who determines household savings for old age? Evidence from Dutch panel data," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 195-211, April.
- Denis Drechsler & Johannes P. Jütting, 2005. "Private Health Insurance for the Poor in Developing Countries?," OECD Development Centre Policy Insights 11, OECD Publishing.
- Parker, Susan W. & Wong, Rebeca, 1997. "Household income and health care expenditures in Mexico," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 237-255, June.
- Benjamin, Catherine & Kimhi, Ayal, 2003.
"Farm Work, Off-Farm Work, And Hired Farm Labor: Estimating A Discrete-Choice Model Of French Farm Couples' Labor Decisions,"
2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada
22150, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Catherine Benjamin & Ayal Kimhi, 2006. "Farm work, off-farm work, and hired farm labour: estimating a discrete-choice model of French farm couples' labour decisions," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 149-171, June.
- Benjamin, Catherine & Kimhi, Ayal, 2003. "Farm Work, Off-Farm Work, And Hired Farm Labor: Estimating A Discrete-Choice Model Of French Farm Couples' Labor Decisions," Discussion Papers 14990, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Brown, Eleanor & Lankford, Hamilton, 1992. "Gifts of money and gifts of time estimating the effects of tax prices and available time," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 321-341, April.
- Holden, Stein & Shiferaw, Bekele & Pender, John, 2004. "Non-farm income, household welfare, and sustainable land management in a less-favoured area in the Ethiopian highlands," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 369-392, August.
- Babatunde, Raphael O. & Qaim, Matin, 2010. "Impact of Off-farm Income on Food Security and Nutrition in Nigeria," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 97332, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Owusu, Victor & Abdulai, Awudu & Abdul-Rahman, Seini, 2011. "Non-farm work and food security among farm households in Northern Ghana," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 108-118, April.
- Glauben, Thomas & Herzfeld, Thomas & Wang, Xiaobing, 2008. "Labor market participation of Chinese agricultural households: Empirical evidence from Zhejiang province," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 329-340, August.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Chang, Hung-Hao, 2011. "Tax-Deferred Retirement Savings of Farm Households: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Quizon, Jaime & Sparrow, Robert, 2001. "Non-agricultural earnings in peri-urban areas of Tanzania: evidence from household survey data," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 385-403, August.
- Chang, Hung-Hao & Mishra, Ashok, 2008. "Impact of off-farm labor supply on food expenditures of the farm household," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 657-664, December.
- Steven T. Yen, 2002. "Beverage consumption among US children and adolescents: full-information and quasi maximum-likelihood estimation of a censored system," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 85-104, March.
- Barrett, C. B. & Reardon, T. & Webb, P., 2001. "Nonfarm income diversification and household livelihood strategies in rural Africa: concepts, dynamics, and policy implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 315-331, August.
- Block, S. & Webb, P., 2001. "The dynamics of livelihood diversification in post-famine Ethiopia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 333-350, August.
- Tokle, J. G. & Huffman, Wallace, 1991. "Local Economic Conditions and Wage Labor Decisions of Farm and Rural Nonfarm Couples," Staff General Research Papers 10988, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chang, Hung-Hao & Mishra, Ashok K. & Livingston, Michael, 2011. "Agricultural policy and its impact on fuel usage: Empirical evidence from farm household analysis," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 348-353, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.