Retrading in market games
AbstractWhen agents are not price takers, they typically cannot obtain an efficient reallocation of resources in one round of trade. This paper presents a noncooperative model of imperfect competition where agents can retrade allocations,consistent with the Edgeworthâs idea of recontracting. We show that there are allocations on the Pareto frontier that can be approximated arbitrarily closely when trade is myopic, i.e., when agents play a static Nash equilibrium at every round of retrading. We then show that the converging sequence of allocations generated by myopic retrading can also be supported along some retrade-proof Subgame Perfect Equilibrium path when traders anticipate future rounds of retrading.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 115 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gale, Douglas, 1987.
"Limit theorems for markets with sequential bargaining,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 20-54, October.
- Douglas Gale, 2010. "Limit theorems for markets with sequential bargaining," Levine's Working Paper Archive 621, David K. Levine.
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part I: Characterization," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 785-806, July.
- McLennan, Andrew & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1991. "Sequential Bargaining as a Noncooperative Foundation for Walrasian Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1395-1424, September.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Sahi, Siddharta & Shubik, Martin, 1993.
"Repeated trade and the velocity of money,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 125-137.
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part II: Existence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 807-18, July.
- Goenka, Aditya & Kelly, David L. & Spear, Stephen E., 1998.
"Endogenous Strategic Business Cycles,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 97-125, July.
- Aditya Goenka & David Kelly & Stephen Spear, . "Endogenous Strategic Business Cycles," GSIA Working Papers 2, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Aditya Goenka, David L. Kelly and Stephen E.Spear, . "Endogenous Strategic Business Cycles," Economics Discussion Papers 473, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Beth Allen & Jayasri Dutta & Haraklis M. Polemarchakis, 1994. "Equilibrium selections," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 90, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Peck, James & Shell, Karl, 1990. "Liquid markets and competition," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 362-377, December.
- Dubey, Pradeep, 1980. "Nash equilibria of market games: Finiteness and inefficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 363-376, April.
- Malinvaud, Edmond, 1972. "Prices for Individual Consumption, Quantity Indicators for Collective Consumption," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 385-405, October.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-68, October.
- Jehiel, Philippe & Moldovanu, Benny, 1995.
"Resale Markets and the Assignment of Property Rights,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1196, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jehiel, Philippe & Moldovanu, Benny, 1999. "Resale Markets and the Assignment of Property Rights," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(4), pages 971-91, October.
- Jehiel, Phillipe & Moldovanu, Benny, 1997. "Resale Markets and the Assignment of Property Rights," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 97-05, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1974. "Excess demand functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 15-21, March.
- Forges, F., 1991.
"Correlated equilibrium and sunspot equilibrium,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1991053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dreze, Jacques H & de la Vallee Poussin, D, 1971. "A Tatonnement Process for Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(114), pages 133-50, April.
- Dubey, P. & Rogawski, J. D., 1990. "Inefficiency of smooth market mechanisms," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 285-304.
- Peck, James & Shell, Karl & Spear, Stephen E., 1992. "The market game: existence and structure of equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 271-299.
- Giraud, Gael, 2003. "Strategic market games: an introduction," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 355-375, July.
- Duffy, John & Matros, Alexander & Temzelides, Ted, 2011.
"Competitive behavior in market games: Evidence and theory,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(4), pages 1437-1463, July.
- John Duffy & Alexander Matros & Ted Temzelides, 2008. "Competitive Behavior in Market Games: Evidence and Theory," Working Papers 366, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2009.
- Alexander Matros & John Duffy & Ted Temzelides, 2006. "Competitive Behavior in Market Games: Evidence and Theory," Working Papers 201, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2008.
- Jamsheed Shorish, 2010.
"Functional rational expectations equilibria in market games,"
Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 351-376, June.
- Shorish, Jamsheed, 2006. "Functional Rational Expectations Equilibria in Market Games," Economics Series 186, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Ghosal, Sayantan & Porter, James, 2010. "Out of Equilibrium Dynamics with Decentralized Exchange Cautious Trading and Convergence to Efficiency," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 928, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dmitry Levando, 2012. "A Survey Of Strategic Market Games," Economic Annals, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, vol. 57(194), pages 63-106, July - Se.
- Flåm, Sjur Didrik & Gramstad, Kjetil, 2012. "Direct Exchange in Linear Economies," Working Papers in Economics 05/12, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Gaël Giraud, 2004. "The limit-price exchange process," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques b04118, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.