Retrading in market games
AbstractWhen agents are not price takers, they typically cannot obtain an efficient reallocation of resources in one round of trade. This paper presents a noncooperative model of imperfect competition where agents can retrade allocations,consistent with the Edgeworthâs idea of recontracting. We show that there are allocations on the Pareto frontier that can be approximated arbitrarily closely when trade is myopic, i.e., when agents play a static Nash equilibrium at every round of retrading. We then show that the converging sequence of allocations generated by myopic retrading can also be supported along some retrade-proof Subgame Perfect Equilibrium path when traders anticipate future rounds of retrading.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 115 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peck, James & Shell, Karl & Spear, Stephen E., 1992. "The market game: existence and structure of equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 271-299.
- Jehiel, Philippe & Moldovanu, Benny, 1999.
"Resale Markets and the Assignment of Property Rights,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(4), pages 971-91, October.
- Jehiel, Phillipe & Moldovanu, Benny, 1997. "Resale Markets and the Assignment of Property Rights," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 97-05, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Jehiel, Philippe & Moldovanu, Benny, 1995. "Resale Markets and the Assignment of Property Rights," CEPR Discussion Papers 1196, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aditya Goenka & David Kelly & Stephen Spear, .
"Endogenous Strategic Business Cycles,"
GSIA Working Papers
2, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Douglas Gale, 2010.
"Limit theorems for markets with sequential bargaining,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
621, David K. Levine.
- Gale, Douglas, 1987. "Limit theorems for markets with sequential bargaining," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 20-54, October.
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part I: Characterization," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 785-806, July.
- Beth Allen & Jayasri Dutta & Haraklis M. Polemarchakis, 1994. "Equilibrium selections," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 90, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- McLennan, Andrew & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1991. "Sequential Bargaining as a Noncooperative Foundation for Walrasian Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1395-1424, September.
- Peck, James & Shell, Karl, 1990. "Liquid markets and competition," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 362-377, December.
- Martin Shubik & Pradeep Dubey & Siddhartha Sahi, 1989.
"Repeated Trade and the Velocity of Money,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
895, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dubey, Pradeep, 1980. "Nash equilibria of market games: Finiteness and inefficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 363-376, April.
- Dreze, Jacques H & de la Vallee Poussin, D, 1971. "A Tatonnement Process for Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(114), pages 133-50, April.
- Dubey, P. & Rogawski, J. D., 1990. "Inefficiency of smooth market mechanisms," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 285-304.
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part II: Existence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 807-18, July.
- Malinvaud, Edmond, 1972. "Prices for Individual Consumption, Quantity Indicators for Collective Consumption," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 385-405, October.
- Forges, F., 1991.
"Correlated equilibrium and sunspot equilibrium,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1991053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-68, October.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1974. "Excess demand functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 15-21, March.
- Flåm, Sjur Didrik & Gramstad, Kjetil, 2012. "Direct Exchange in Linear Economies," Working Papers in Economics 05/12, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Shorish, Jamsheed, 2006.
"Functional Rational Expectations Equilibria in Market Games,"
186, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Jamsheed Shorish, 2010. "Functional rational expectations equilibria in market games," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 351-376, June.
- Ghosal, Sayantan & Porter, James, 2010. "Out of Equilibrium Dynamics with Decentralized Exchange Cautious Trading and Convergence to Efficiency," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 928, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ghosal, Sayantan & Porter, James, 2013. "Decentralised exchange, out-of-equilibrium dynamics and convergence to efficiency," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 1-21.
- John Duffy & Alexander Matros & Ted Temzelides, 2008.
"Competitive Behavior in Market Games: Evidence and Theory,"
366, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2009.
- Duffy, John & Matros, Alexander & Temzelides, Ted, 2011. "Competitive behavior in market games: Evidence and theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(4), pages 1437-1463, July.
- Alexander Matros & John Duffy & Ted Temzelides, 2006. "Competitive Behavior in Market Games: Evidence and Theory," Working Papers 201, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2008.
- Dmitry Levando, 2012. "A Survey Of Strategic Market Games," Economic Annals, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, vol. 57(194), pages 63-106, July - Se.
- Gaël Giraud, 2004. "The limit-price exchange process," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques b04118, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Sjur Didrik Flåm, 2013. "Reaching Market Equilibrium Merely by Bilateral Barters," CESifo Working Paper Series 4504, CESifo Group Munich.
- Giraud, Gael, 2003. "Strategic market games: an introduction," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 355-375, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.