Commercial banks getting underwriting business: Tying or business building?
AbstractI investigate how commercial banks can use lending to attract underwriting business from loan clients. My empirical evidence indicates that rather than using less credit and higher spreads to punish firms that do not give them underwriting business (i.e., coercive tying), banks use more credit and lower spreads as incentives for firms to give them future underwriting business. Further, banks that continue business relations by lending again to firms are rewarded with a higher probability of receiving those firms’ future underwriting business. My results do not support recent concerns of tying behavior by banks. Rather, the evidence suggests that banks use discounted lending to attract underwriting business. My results indicate that the ability to lend may have an impact on how investments banks compete for underwriting business.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economics and Business.
Volume (Year): 66 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconbus
Universal banking; Tying; Business building; Underwriting;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kroszner, Randall S & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. "Is the Glass-Steagall Act Justified? A Study of the U.S. Experience with Universal Banking before 1933," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 810-32, September.
- Hao, Li & Nandy, Debarshi K. & Roberts, Gordon S., 2012. "Effects of Bank Regulation and Lender Location on Loan Spreads," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(06), pages 1247-1278, December.
- Xavier Freixas & GyÃ¶ngyi LÃ³rÃ¡nth & Alan D. Morrison, 2005.
"Regulating Financial Conglomerates,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2005fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Xavier Freixas & Gyöngyi Lóránth & Alan D. Morrison, 2005. "Regulating financial conglomerates," Economics Working Papers 820, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Xavier Freixas & Gyongyi Loranth & Alan D. Morrison & Hyun Song Shin, 2004. "Regulating Financial Conglomerates," Working Paper Research 54, National Bank of Belgium.
- Freixas, Xavier & Lóránth, Gyöngyi & Morrison, Alan, 2005. "Regulating Financial Conglomerates," CEPR Discussion Papers 5036, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chemmanur, T.J. & Fulghieri, P., 1992.
"Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice Between Bank Loans and Publicity Traded Debt,"
92-24, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J & Fulghieri, Paolo, 1994. "Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice between Bank Loans and Publicly Traded Debt," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 475-506.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Kamphol Panyagometh & Gordon S. Roberts, 2010. "Do Lead Banks Exploit Syndicate Participants? Evidence from Ex Post Risk," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 39(1), pages 273-299, 03.
- Marcia Millon Cornett & Evren Ors & Hassan Tehranian, 2002. "Bank Performance around the Introduction of a Section 20 Subsidiary," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 501-521, 02.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Carter, Richard B & Manaster, Steven, 1990. " Initial Public Offerings and Underwriter Reputation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1045-67, September.
- Miles Livingston & Lei Zhou, 2002. "The Impact of Rule 144A Debt Offerings Upon Bond Yields and Underwriter Fees," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(4), Winter.
- Richard B. Carter & Frederick H. Dark & Ajai K. Singh, 1998. "Underwriter Reputation, Initial Returns, and the Long-Run Performance of IPO Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 285-311, 02.
- Ayako Yasuda, 2005. "Do Bank Relationships Affect the Firm's Underwriter Choice in the Corporate-Bond Underwriting Market?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1259-1292, 06.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J & Fulghieri, Paolo, 1994. " Investment Bank Reputation, Information Production, and Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 57-79, March.
- Gande, Amar, et al, 1997. "Bank Underwriting of Debt Securities: Modern Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1175-1202.
- Carola Schenone, 2004. "The Effect of Banking Relationships on the Firm's IPO Underpricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2903-2958, December.
- Mark Carey S. & Stephen Prowse & John Rea & Gregory Udell, 1993. "The economics of the private placement market," Staff Studies 166, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Shane A. Corwin & Paul Schultz, 2005. "The Role of IPO Underwriting Syndicates: Pricing, Information Production, and Underwriter Competition," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(1), pages 443-486, 02.
- Puri, Manju, 1994. "The long-term default performance of bank underwritten security issues," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 397-418, January.
- Ang, James S. & Richardson, Terry, 1994. "The underwriting experience of commercial bank affiliates prior to the Glass-Steagall Act: A reexamination of evidence for passage of the act," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 351-395, January.
- Bharath, Sreedhar & Dahiya, Sandeep & Saunders, Anthony & Srinivasan, Anand, 2007. "So what do I get? The bank's view of lending relationships," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 368-419, August.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1989.
"Asymmetric information, bank lending, and implicit contracts: a stylized model of customer relationships,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
70, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1990. " Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending, and Implicit Contracts: A Stylized Model of Customer Relationships," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1069-87, September.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Megginson, William L & Weiss, Kathleen A, 1991. " Venture Capitalist Certification in Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 879-903, July.
- Bolton, Patrick & Freixas, Xavier & Shapiro, Joel, 2007. "Conflicts of interest, information provision, and competition in the financial services industry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 297-330, August.
- Steven Drucker & Manju Puri, 2005. "On the Benefits of Concurrent Lending and Underwriting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(6), pages 2763-2799, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.