Commercial banks as underwriters: implications for the going public process
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 54 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505576
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Kreps & Robert Wilson, 1999.
"Reputation and Imperfect Information,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
238, David K. Levine.
- Berlin, Mitchell & John, Kose & Saunders, Anthony, 1996.
"Bank Equity Stakes in Borrowing Firms and Financial Distress,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 889-919.
- Mitchell Berlin & Kose John & Anthony Saunders, 1995. "Bank equity stakes in borrowing firms and financial distress," Working Papers 96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Yasushi Hamao & Frank Packer & Jay Ritter, 1998.
"Institutional affiliation and the role of venture capital: evidence from initial public offerings in Japan,"
9807, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Packer, Frank & Ritter, Jay R., 2000. "Institutional affiliation and the role of venture capital: Evidence from initial public offerings in Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 529-558, October.
- Yasushi Hamao & Frank Packer & Jay R. Ritter, 1998. "Institutional affiliation and the role of venture capital: evidence from initial public offerings in Japan," Staff Reports 52, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan, 1995.
"Financial System Architecture,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1197, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Puri, Manju, 1994. "The long-term default performance of bank underwritten security issues," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 397-418, January.
- Megginson, William L & Weiss, Kathleen A, 1991. " Venture Capitalist Certification in Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 879-903, July.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Tirole, Jean, 1991. "Perfect Bayesian equilibrium and sequential equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 236-260, April.
- Ber, Y. & Yafeh, Y. & Yosha, O., 1997. "Conflict of Interest in Universal Banking: Evidence from the Post-Issue performance of IPO Firms," Papers 18-97, Tel Aviv.
- George J. Benston, 1994. "Universal Banking," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(3), pages 121-143, Summer.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Monitoring and Reputation: The Choice between Bank Loans and Directly Placed Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 689-721, August.
- Lummer, Scott L. & McConnell, John J., 1989. "Further evidence on the bank lending process and the capital-market response to bank loan agreements," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 99-122, November.
- Paul Milgrom & John Roberts, 1980.
"Predation, Reputation, and Entry Deterrence,"
427, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Gande, Amar, et al, 1997. "Bank Underwriting of Debt Securities: Modern Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1175-1202.
- Maksimovic, Vojislav & Titman, Sheridan, 1991. "Financial Policy and Reputation for Product Quality," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(1), pages 175-200.
- Barry, Christopher B. & Muscarella, Chris J. & Peavy, John III & Vetsuypens, Michael R., 1990. "The role of venture capital in the creation of public companies*1: Evidence from the going-public process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 447-471, October.
- Leland, Hayne E & Pyle, David H, 1977.
"Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 371-87, May.
- Hayne E. Leland and David H. Pyle., 1976. "Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 41, University of California at Berkeley.
- James, Christopher & Wier, Peggy, 1990. "Borrowing relationships, intermediation, and the cost of issuing public securities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 149-171.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V, 1997. "Banking Scope and Financial Innovation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1099-1131.
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- John, Kose & Nachman, David C, 1985. " Risky Debt, Investment Incentives, and Reputation in a Sequential Equilibrium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 863-78, July.
- Walter Boudry & Jarl Kallberg & Crocker Liu, 2011. "Analyst Behavior and Underwriter Choice," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 5-38, July.
- Ayako Yasuda, 2001. "Institutions, Relationships and Bank Competition in Bond Underwriting Markets: An International Comparative Study," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-31, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Hvide, Hans K., 2004. "A Theory of Certification with an Application to the Market for Auditing Services," Discussion Papers 2004/10, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Hamid Mehran & Rene M. Stulz, 2006.
"The Economics of Conflicts of Interest in Financial Institutions,"
NBER Working Papers
12695, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mehran, Hamid & Stulz, Rene M., 2007. "The economics of conflicts of interest in financial institutions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 267-296, August.
- Mehran, Hamid & Stulz, Rene M., 2006. "The Economics of Conflicts of Interest in Financial Institutions," Working Paper Series 2006-21, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Ivan Roten & Donald Mullineaux, 2005. "Equity Underwriting Spreads at Commercial Bank Holding Companies and Investment Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 243-258, September.
- Takaoka, Sumiko & McKenzie, C.R., 2006.
"The impact of bank entry in the Japanese corporate bond underwriting market,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 59-83, January.
- C.R. McKenzie & Sumiko Takaoka, 2004. "The Impact of Bank Entry in the Japanese Corporate Bond Underwriting Market," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 128, Econometric Society.
- Kenji Ketsuna & Janet Kiholm Smith & Richard L. Smith, 2003.
"Banking Relationships and Access to Equity Capital Markets: Evidence from Japan’s Main Bank System,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
2003-09, Claremont Colleges.
- Kutsuna, Kenji & Smith, Janet Kiholm & Smith, Richard L., 2007. "Banking relationships and access to equity capital markets: Evidence from Japan's main bank system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 335-360, February.
- Kenneth A. Carow & Edward J. Kane, 2001.
"Event-Study Evidence of the Value of Relaxing Longstanding Regulatory Restraints on Banks, 1970-2000,"
NBER Working Papers
8594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carow, Kenneth A. & Kane, Edward J., 2002. "Event-study evidence of the value of relaxing long-standing regulatory restraints on banks, 1970-2000," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 439-463.
- Hans Gersbach & Harald Uhlig, 2006.
"On the Coexistence of Banks and Markets,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2006-054, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Luca Benzoni & Carola Schenone, 2007. "Conflict of interest and certification in the U.S. IPO market," Working Paper Series WP-07-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2004:i:may:p:428-435 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jong, A. de & Roosenboom, P.G.J. & Schramade, W.L.J., 2005. "Bond underwriting fees and keiretsu affiliation in Japan," Research Paper ERS-2005-038-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Kollo, Michael G., 2005. "Underwriter competition and gross spreads in the eurobond market," Working Paper Series 0550, European Central Bank.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2005:i:may:p:140-147 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bharat N. Anand & Alexander Galetovic, 2002. "Investment Banking and Security Market Development: Does Finance Follow Industry?," Documentos de Trabajo 121, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Dahiya, Sandeep & Puri, Manju & Saunders, Anthony, 2001. "Bank Borrowers and Loan Sales: New Evidence on the Uniqueness of Bank Loans," Research Papers 1746, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Steven Drucker & Manju Puri, 2004. "The Tying of Lending and Equity Underwriting," NBER Working Papers 10491, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.