The impact of bank entry in the Japanese corporate bond underwriting market
AbstractThe 1993 Japanese financial system reform allowed banks to enter the underwriting market for corporate bonds through bank-owned security subsidiaries. This paper examines empirically whether underwriting commissions and spreads for corporate bonds fell as a result of this bank entry. The empirical results show that bank entry significantly lowers underwriting commissions. Commissions charged by banks are significantly lower than those charged by investment houses. In contrast, there is no strong evidence that bond spreads are significantly lowered by bank entry. A main bank relationship between the issuing firm and the parent of a bank-owned underwriting subsidiary does not have any significant influence in commission setting or the determination of spreads
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 30 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Other versions of this item:
- C.R. McKenzie & Sumiko Takaoka, 2004. "The Impact of Bank Entry in the Japanese Corporate Bond Underwriting Market," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 128, Econometric Society.
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- K22 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Business and Securities Law
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roma, Antonio & Torous, Walter, 1997. " The Cyclical Behavior of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1519-42, September.
- Ayako Yasuda, 2001. "Institutions, Relationships and Bank Competition in Bond Underwriting Markets: An International Comparative Study," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-31, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Roten, Ivan C. & Mullineaux, Donald J., 2002. "Debt underwriting by commercial bank-affiliated firms and investment banks: More evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 689-718, April.
- Puri, Manju, 1999. "Commercial banks as underwriters: implications for the going public process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 133-163, October.
- Gande, Amar, et al, 1997. "Bank Underwriting of Debt Securities: Modern Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1175-1202.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap, 2004. "Corporate Financing and Governance in Japan: The Road to the Future," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262582481.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Konishi, Masaru, 2002. "Bond underwriting by banks and conflicts of interest: Evidence from Japan during the pre-war period," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 767-793, April.
- George Athanassakos & Peter Carayannopoulos, 2001. "An empirical analysis of the relationship of bond yield spreads and macro economic factors," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 197-207.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990.
"The Role of Banks in Reducing the Costs of Financial Distress in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
3435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1990. "The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-88, September.
- Mark M. Spiegel & Jose A. Lopez, 2009. "Foreign entry into underwriting services: evidence from Japan's "Big Bang" deregulation," Working Paper Series 2009-14, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Yasuda, Ayako, 2007. "Bank relationships and underwriter competition: Evidence from Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 369-404, November.
- Van Overfelt W. & Annaert J. & De Ceuster M. & Deloof M., 2007. "Do Universal Banks Create Value? Universal Bank Affiliation and Company Performance in Belgium, 1905-1909," Working Papers 2007001, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Takanori Tanaka, 2011. "Corporate Governance and the Costs of Public Debt Financing: Evidence from Japan," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 11-35, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Suzuki, Katsushi, 2010. "Do the equity holding and soundness of bank underwriters affect issue costs of SEOs?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 984-995, May.
- Sun, Yue & Uchida, Konari & Matsumoto, Mamoru, 2013. "The dark side of independent venture capitalists: Evidence from Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 279-300.
- Nakashima, Kiyotaka & Saito, Makoto, 2009.
"Credit spreads on corporate bonds and the macroeconomy in Japan,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 309-331, September.
- Kiyotaka Nakashima & Makoto Saito, 2009. "Credit Spreads on Corporate Bonds and the Macroeconomy in Japan," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-068, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- McKenzie, C.R. & Takaoka, Sumiko, 2013. "The matching of lead underwriters and issuing firms in the Japanese corporate bond market," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 86-97.
- de Jong, Abe & Roosenboom, Peter & Schramade, Willem, 2006. "Bond underwriting fees and keiretsu affiliation in Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 522-545, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.