Do the equity holding and soundness of bank underwriters affect issue costs of SEOs?
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of characteristics of bank underwriters on issue costs in seasoned equity offerings in Japan following deregulation in 1999. I find that banks' holding loans have a negative effect on price discounts and no effect on underwriting fees. However, banks' equity holdings have no effect on discount rates and a positive effect on underwriting fees. Furthermore, issuers with unhealthy banks pay higher discount rates, are more likely to be weak in their ex-post operating performance, and are less willing to switch underwriters. I conclude that the characteristics of banks have different effects on issue costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Commercial bank Issue cost Certification Conflicts of interest Bargaining power;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Hsuan-Chi & Fauver, Larry & Yang, Pei-Ching, 2009. "What do investment banks charge to underwrite American Depositary Receipts?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 609-618, April.
- Mitchell Berlin & Kose John & Anthony Saunders, 1995.
"Bank equity stakes in borrowing firms and financial distress,"
96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Berlin, Mitchell & John, Kose & Saunders, Anthony, 1996. "Bank Equity Stakes in Borrowing Firms and Financial Distress," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 889-919.
- Hoshi, Takeo, 2001. "What Happened to Japanese Banks?," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-29, February.
- James Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 1998.
"Characterizing Selection Bias Using Experimental Data,"
NBER Working Papers
6699, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 1998. "Characterizing Selection Bias Using Experimental Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1017-1098, September.
- C.R. McKenzie & Sumiko Takaoka, 2004.
"The Impact of Bank Entry in the Japanese Corporate Bond Underwriting Market,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
128, Econometric Society.
- Takaoka, Sumiko & McKenzie, C.R., 2006. "The impact of bank entry in the Japanese corporate bond underwriting market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 59-83, January.
- Barucci, Emilio & Mattesini, Fabrizio, 2008.
"Bank shareholding and lending: Complementarity or substitution? Some evidence from a panel of large Italian firms,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2237-2247, October.
- Emilio Barucci & Fabrizio Mattesini, 2008. "Bank shareholding and lending: complementarity or substitution? Some evidence from a panel of large Italian firms!," CEIS Research Paper 118, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 14 Jul 2008.
- Steven Drucker & Manju Puri, 2005. "On the Benefits of Concurrent Lending and Underwriting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(6), pages 2763-2799, December.
- Kirkulak, Berna & Davis, Colin, 2005. "Underwriter reputation and underpricing: Evidence from the Japanese IPO market," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 451-470, September.
- Yasuda, Ayako, 2007. "Bank relationships and underwriter competition: Evidence from Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 369-404, November.
- Pinkowitz, Lee & Williamson, Rohan, 2001. "Bank Power and Cash Holdings: Evidence from Japan," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(4), pages 1059-82.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Shane A. Corwin, 2003. "The Determinants of Underpricing for Seasoned Equity Offers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2249-2279, October.
- Hansen, Robert S & Torregrosa, Paul, 1992. " Underwriter Compensation and Corporate Monitoring," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1537-55, September.
- Gande, Amar, et al, 1997. "Bank Underwriting of Debt Securities: Modern Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1175-1202.
- Morck, Randall & Nakamura, Masao & Shivdasani, Anil, 2000. "Banks, Ownership Structure, and Firm Value in Japan," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages 539-67, October.
- Chaplinsky, Susan & Erwin, Gayle R., 2009. "Great expectations: Banks as equity underwriters," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 380-389, February.
- Xu, Xijia, 2009. "Aligning debt and equity claimant interests: Evidence from dual claim investors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2227-2240, December.
- Jeon, Jin Q. & Ligon, James A., 2011. "The role of co-managers in reducing flotation costs: Evidence from seasoned equity offerings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1041-1056, May.
- Kovner, Anna, 2012. "Do underwriters matter? The impact of the near failure of an equity underwriter," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 507-529.
- Ari Pandes, J., 2010. "Bought deals: The value of underwriter certification in seasoned equity offerings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1576-1589, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.