A game theoretic approach to option valuation under Markovian regime-switching models
AbstractIn this paper, we consider a game theoretic approach to option valuation under Markovian regime-switching models, namely, a Markovian regime-switching geometric Brownian motion (GBM) and a Markovian regime-switching jump-diffusion model. In particular, we consider a stochastic differential game with two players, namely, the representative agent and the market. The representative agent has a power utility function and the market is a "fictitious" player of the game. We also explore and strengthen the connection between an equivalent martingale measure for option valuation selected by an equilibrium state of the stochastic differential game and that arising from a regime switching version of the Esscher transform. When the stock price process is governed by a Markovian regime-switching GBM, the pricing measures chosen by the two approaches coincide. When the stock price process is governed by a Markovian regime-switching jump-diffusion model, we identify the condition under which the pricing measures selected by the two approaches are identical.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 42 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Robert Elliott & Leunglung Chan & Tak Siu, 2006. "Risk measures for derivatives with Markov-modulated pure jump processes," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 129-149, June.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Back, Kerry & Pliska, Stanley R., 1991. "On the fundamental theorem of asset pricing with an infinite state space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-18.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1983. "A stochastic calculus model of continuous trading: Complete markets," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 313-316, August.
- Elliott, R. J. & Malcolm, W. P. & Tsoi, Allanus H., 2003. "Robust parameter estimation for asset price models with Markov modulated volatilities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1391-1409, June.
- Robert J. Elliott & Leunglung Chan & Tak Kuen Siu, 2005. "Option pricing and Esscher transform under regime switching," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 423-432, October.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Constantinides,George & Duffie,Darrel, 1992.
"Asset pricing with heterogeneous consumers,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
381, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Hans Haller & Roger Lagunoff, 2000.
"Genericity and Markovian Behavior in Stochastic Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1231-1248, September.
- Hans Haller & Roger Lagunoff, 1999. "Genericity and Markovian Behavior in Stochastic Games," Game Theory and Information 9901003, EconWPA, revised 03 Jun 1999.
- Naik, Vasanttilak, 1993. " Option Valuation and Hedging Strategies with Jumps in the Volatility of Asset Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1969-84, December.
- X. Guo, 2001. "Information and option pricings," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 38-44.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Robert J. Elliott & John van der Hoek, 1997. "An application of hidden Markov models to asset allocation problems (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 229-238.
- Robert Elliott & Carlton-James Osakwe, 2006. "Option Pricing for Pure Jump Processes with Markov Switching Compensators," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 250-275, April.
- Robert Elliott & Tak Siu & Leunglung Chan, 2008. "A PDE approach for risk measures for derivatives with regime switching," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 55-74, January.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Schachermayer, W., 1992. "A Hilbert space proof of the fundamental theorem of asset pricing in finite discrete time," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 249-257, December.
- Fan, Kun & Shen, Yang & Siu, Tak Kuen & Wang, Rongming, 2014. "Pricing foreign equity options with regime-switching," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 296-305.
- Xie, Shuxiang, 2009. "Continuous-time mean-variance portfolio selection with liability and regime switching," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 148-155, August.
- Liew, Chuin Ching & Siu, Tak Kuen, 2010. "A hidden Markov regime-switching model for option valuation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 374-384, December.
- Shen, Yang & Siu, Tak Kuen, 2013. "Stochastic differential game, Esscher transform and general equilibrium under a Markovian regime-switching Lévy model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 757-768.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.