Increasing correlations or just fat tails?
AbstractIncreasing correlation during turbulent market conditions implies a reduction in portfolio diversification benefits. We investigate the robustness of recent empirical results that indicate a breakdown in the correlation structure by deriving theoretical truncated and exceedance correlations using alternative distributional assumptions. Analytical results show that the increase in conditional correlation could be a result of assuming conditional normality for the return distribution. When assuming a popular alternative distribution - the bivariate Student-tr - we find significantly less support for an increase in conditional correlation and conclude that this is due to the presence of fat tails when assuming normality in the return distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Empirical Finance.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bekaert, Geert & Hodrick, Robert J. & Zhang, Xiaoyan, 2008.
"International stock return comovements,"
Working Paper Series
0931, European Central Bank.
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick & Xiaoyan Zhang, 2005. "International Stock Return Comovements," NBER Working Papers 11906, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Hodrick, Robert J. & Zhang, Xiaoyan, 2005. "International Stock Return Comovements," Working Papers 06-3, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Bekaert, Geert & Hodrick, Robert J & Zhang, Xiaoyan, 2006. "International Stock Return Comovements," CEPR Discussion Papers 5955, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huisman, R. & Koedijik, K.G. & Pownall, R.A.J., 1998. "VaR-x: Fat Tails in Financial Risk Management," Papers 98-54, Southern California - School of Business Administration.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements,"
NBER Working Papers
7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Longin, Francois, 2005. "The choice of the distribution of asset returns: How extreme value theory can help?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1017-1035, April.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Terasvirta, Timo & Patton, Andrew J., 2006.
"Common factors in conditional distributions for bivariate time series,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 43-57, May.
- Timo Terasvirta & Clive W.J Granger & Andrew Patton, 2003. "Common factors in conditional distributions for Bivariate time series," FMG Discussion Papers dp455, Financial Markets Group.
- Ang, Andrew & Chen, Joseph, 2002. "Asymmetric correlations of equity portfolios," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 443-494, March.
- Butler, K. C. & Joaquin, D. C., 2002. "Are the gains from international portfolio diversification exaggerated? The influence of downside risk in bear markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 981-1011, December.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-47, August.
- Dennis Jansen & Casper de Vries, 1988.
"On the frequency of large stock returns: putting booms and busts into perspective,"
1989-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Jansen, Dennis W & de Vries, Casper G, 1991. "On the Frequency of Large Stock Returns: Putting Booms and Busts into Perspective," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 18-24, February.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2003.
"Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 559-581, December.
- ROCKINGER, Michael & JONDEAU, Eric, 2001. "Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns," Les Cahiers de Recherche 739, HEC Paris.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert, 2002. "International Asset Allocation With Regime Shifts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(4), pages 1137-1187.
- Karolyi, G Andrew, 1995. "A Multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of the United States and Canada," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Baur, Dirk G. & Dimpfl, Thomas & Jung, Robert C., 2012.
"Stock return autocorrelations revisited: A quantile regression approach,"
University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance
24, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Baur, Dirk G. & Dimpfl, Thomas & Jung, Robert C., 2012. "Stock return autocorrelations revisited: A quantile regression approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 254-265.
- Daniel Bartz & Kerr Hatrick & Christian W. Hesse & Klaus-Robert M\"uller & Steven Lemm, 2011. "Directional Variance Adjustment: improving covariance estimates for high-dimensional portfolio optimization," Papers 1109.3069, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2012.
- Mittnik, Stefan, 2013. "VaR-implied tail-correlation matrices," CFS Working Paper Series 2013/05, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012.
"No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality,"
Working Papers CEB
12-010, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Brière, Marie & Chapelle, Ariane & Szafarz, Ariane, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1729-1744.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "No Contagion, only Globalization and Flight to Quality," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/149092, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marie Briere & Ariane Chapelle & Ariane Szafarz, 2008. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," DULBEA Working Papers 08-22.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Szafarz, Ariane & Chapelle, Ariane & Brière, Marie, 2012. "No contagion, only globalization and flight to quality," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7746, Paris Dauphine University.
- Le Pen, Yannick & Sévi, Benoît, 2009. "News and correlations: an impulse response analysis," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6804, Paris Dauphine University.
- Dror Y. Kenett & Xuqing Huang & Irena Vodenska & Shlomo Havlin & H. Eugene Stanley, 2014. "Partial correlation analysis: Applications for financial markets," Papers 1402.1405, arXiv.org.
- Kaiser, Jonas & Krämer, Walter, 2011. "A cautionary note on computing conditional from unconditional correlations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 176-179, May.
- Tjøstheim, Dag & Hufthammer, Karl Ove, 2013. "Local Gaussian correlation: A new measure of dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 172(1), pages 33-48.
- Palmroos, Peter, 2009. "Effects of unobserved defaults on correlation between probability of default and loss given default on mortgage loans," Research Discussion Papers 3/2009, Bank of Finland.
- Tse, Chi K. & Liu, Jing & Lau, Francis C.M., 2010. "A network perspective of the stock market," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 659-667, September.
- Mittnik, Stefan, 2014. "VaR-implied tail-correlation matrices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 69-73.
- Dominik Wied & Matthias Arnold & Nicolai Bissantz & Daniel Ziggel, 2012. "A new fluctuation test for constant variances with applications to finance," Metrika, Springer, vol. 75(8), pages 1111-1127, November.
- Chester Curme & Michele Tumminello & Rosario N. Mantegna & H. Eugene Stanley & Dror Y. Kenett, 2014. "Emergence of statistically validated financial intraday lead-lag relationships," Papers 1401.0462, arXiv.org.
- Krämer, Walter & van Kampen, Maarten, 2011. "A simple nonparametric test for structural change in joint tail probabilities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(3), pages 245-247, March.
- Galeano, Pedro & Wied, Dominik, 2014. "Multiple break detection in the correlation structure of random variables," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 262-282.
- Paulo Sergio Ceretta & Marcelo Brutti Righi & Alexandre Silva Da costa & Fernanda Maria Muller, 2012. "Quantiles autocorrelation in stock markets returns," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 2065-2075.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.