Dual sourcing using capacity reservation and spot market: Optimal procurement policy and heuristic parameter determination
AbstractThis contribution focuses on the cost-effective management of the combined use of two procurement options: the short-term option is given by a spot market with random price, whereas the long-term alternative is characterized by a multi period capacity reservation contract with fixed purchase price and reservation level. A reservation cost, proportional with the reservation level, has to be paid for the option of receiving any amount per period up to the reservation level. A long-term decision has to be made regarding the reserved capacity level, and then it has to be decided – period by period – which quantities to procure from the two sources. Considering the multi-period problem with stochastic demand and spot price, the structure of the optimal combined purchasing policy is derived using stochastic dynamic programming. Exploiting these structural properties, an advanced heuristic is developed to determine the respective policy parameters. This heuristic is compared with two rolling-horizon approaches which use the one-period and two-period optimal solution. A comprehensive numerical study reveals that the approaches based on one-period and two-period solutions have considerable drawbacks, while the advanced heuristic performs very well compared to the optimal solution. Finally, by exploiting our numerical results we give some insights into the system’s behavior under problem parameter variations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 225 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Dual sourcing; Capacity reservation; Spot market; Procurement policy; Stochastic dynamic programming; Heuristics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnold, Jan & Minner, Stefan & Eidam, Björn, 2009. "Raw material procurement with fluctuating prices," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 353-364, October.
- Jewel S. Bonser & S. David Wu, 2001. "Procurement Planning to Maintain Both Short-Term Adaptiveness and Long-Term Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(6), pages 769-786, June.
- Thomas, Douglas J. & Tyworth, John E., 2006. "Pooling lead-time risk by order splitting: A critical review," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 245-257, July.
- Minner, Stefan, 2003. "Multiple-supplier inventory models in supply chain management: A review," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 265-279, January.
- Bardia Kamrad & Akhtar Siddique, 2004. "Supply Contracts, Profit Sharing, Switching, and Reaction Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 64-82, January.
- Xu, Ningxiong, 2011. "Myopic optimal policy for a multi-period, two-delivery-lead-times, stochastic inventory problem with minimum cumulative commitment and capacity," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 719-727, October.
- Adilov, Nodir, 2012. "Strategic use of forward contracts and capacity constraints," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 164-173.
- Woo, Chi-Keung & Horowitz, Ira & Olson, Arne & Horii, Brian & Baskette, Carmen, 2006. "Efficient frontiers for electricity procurement by an LDC with multiple purchase options," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 70-80, January.
- Inderfurth, Karl & Kelle, Peter, 2011. "Capacity reservation under spot market price uncertainty," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 272-279, September.
- Geman, Hélyette, 2005. "From measure changes to time changes in asset pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 2701-2722, November.
- Geman, Hélyette, 2005. "From Measure Changes to Time Changes in Asset Pricing," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1388, Paris Dauphine University.
- Serel, Dogan A. & Dada, Maqbool & Moskowitz, Herbert, 2001. "Sourcing decisions with capacity reservation contracts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 131(3), pages 635-648, June.
- Hazra, Jishnu & Mahadevan, B., 2009. "A procurement model using capacity reservation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(1), pages 303-316, February.
- Spinler, Stefan & Huchzermeier, Arnd, 2006. "The valuation of options on capacity with cost and demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 171(3), pages 915-934, June.
- Wu, D. J. & Kleindorfer, P. R. & Zhang, Jin E., 2002. "Optimal bidding and contracting strategies for capital-intensive goods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(3), pages 657-676, March.
- Gavirneni, Srinagesh & Bollapragada, Srinivas & E. Morton, Thomas, 1998. "Periodic review stochastic inventory problem with forecast updates: Worst-case bounds for the myopic solution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 381-392, December.
- Mordechai Henig & Yigal Gerchak & Ricardo Ernst & David F. Pyke, 1997. "An Inventory Model Embedded in Designing a Supply Contract," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(2), pages 184-189, February.
- Tapiero, Charles S., 2008. "Orders and inventory commodities with price and demand uncertainty in complete markets," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 12-18, September.
- Li, Shanling & Murat, Alper & Huang, Wanzhen, 2009. "Selection of contract suppliers under price and demand uncertainty in a dynamic market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(3), pages 830-847, November.
- Benth, Fred Espen & Kiesel, Rüdiger & Nazarova, Anna, 2012. "A critical empirical study of three electricity spot price models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1589-1616.
- Arnold, Jan & Minner, Stefan, 2011. "Financial and operational instruments for commodity procurement in quantity competition," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 96-106, May.
- Paul R. Kleindorfer & D. J. Wu, 2003. "Integrating Long- and Short-Term Contracting via Business-to-Business Exchanges for Capital-Intensive Industries," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(11), pages 1597-1615, November.
- Vukina Tomislav & Shin Changmok & Zheng Xiaoyong, 2009. "Complementarity among Alternative Procurement Arrangements in the Pork Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Seifert, Ralf W. & Thonemann, Ulrich W. & Hausman, Warren H., 2004. "Optimal procurement strategies for online spot markets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(3), pages 781-799, February.
- Gülpınar, N. & Oliveira, F.S., 2012. "Robust trading in spot and forward oligopolistic markets," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 35-45.
- Apostolos Burnetas & Peter Ritchken, 2005. "Option Pricing with Downward-Sloping Demand Curves: The Case of Supply Chain Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(4), pages 566-580, April.
- X. Guo & P. Kaminsky & P. Tomecek & M. Yuen, 2011. "Optimal spot market inventory strategies in the presence of cost and price risk," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 73(1), pages 109-137, February.
- Wu, Xiaole & Kouvelis, Panos & Matsuo, Hirofumi & Sano, Hiroki, 2014. "Horizontal coordinating contracts in the semiconductor industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 237(3), pages 887-897.
- Rainer Kleber & Karl Inderfurth & Peter Kelle, 2014. "Combined sourcing and inventory management using capacity reservation and spot market," FEMM Working Papers 140005, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Densing, M., 2013. "Dispatch planning using newsvendor dual problems and occupation times: Application to hydropower," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 228(2), pages 321-330.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.