Mixed contracts for the newsvendor problem with real options and discrete demand
AbstractIn this paper we consider the newsvendor model with real options under discrete demand. We consider a mixed contract where the retailer can order a combination of q units subject to the conditions in a classical newsvendor contract and Q real options on the same items. We provide a closed form solution to this mixed contract when the demand is discrete and study some of its properties. In particular we demonstrate that a mixed contract may be superior to a real option contract when a manufacturer has a bound on how much variance she is willing to accept.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dawn Barnes-Schuster & Yehuda Bassok & Ravi Anupindi, 2002. "Coordination and Flexibility in Supply Contracts with Options," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 4(3), pages 171-207, May.
- Paul R. Kleindorfer & D. J. Wu, 2003. "Integrating Long- and Short-Term Contracting via Business-to-Business Exchanges for Capital-Intensive Industries," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(11), pages 1597-1615, November.
- Chen, Xu & Li, Ling & Zhou, Ming, 2012. "Manufacturer's pricing strategy for supply chain with warranty period-dependent demand," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 807-816.
- Li, Shanling & Murat, Alper & Huang, Wanzhen, 2009. "Selection of contract suppliers under price and demand uncertainty in a dynamic market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(3), pages 830-847, November.
- Seifert, Ralf W. & Thonemann, Ulrich W. & Hausman, Warren H., 2004. "Optimal procurement strategies for online spot markets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(3), pages 781-799, February.
- Zhou, Yong-Wu & Wang, Sheng-Dong, 2009. "Manufacturer-buyer coordination for newsvendor-type-products with two ordering opportunities and partial backorders," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(3), pages 958-974, November.
- A. A. Tsay & W. S. Lovejoy, 1999. "Quantity Flexibility Contracts and Supply Chain Performance," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 1(2), pages 89-111.
- Wu, D. J. & Kleindorfer, P. R. & Zhang, Jin E., 2002. "Optimal bidding and contracting strategies for capital-intensive goods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(3), pages 657-676, March.
- Hazra, Jishnu & Mahadevan, B., 2009. "A procurement model using capacity reservation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(1), pages 303-316, February.
- Gary D. Eppen & Ananth. V. Iyer, 1997. "Backup Agreements in Fashion Buying---The Value of Upstream Flexibility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(11), pages 1469-1484, November.
- Adkins, Roger & Paxson, Dean, 2013. "Deterministic models for premature and postponed replacement," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1008-1019.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.