An integer programming dynamic farm-household model to evaluate the impact of agricultural policy reforms on farm investment behaviour
AbstractWe develop a multi-objective farm-household dynamic integer programming model to simulate investment behaviour in different policy and price scenarios, with a particular focus on the decoupling of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). The model takes into account the characteristics of individual assets, including ageing and fixity through the explicit consideration of transaction costs. A case study application in the context of arable farming in Northern Italy is provided as an example. The results emphasise different patterns of reaction of different farm-household types over time, as an effect of the varying opportunity costs of resources and initial asset endowments. Overall, this application highlights the potentialities and limits of the methodology. In particular, the approach proved to be effective in providing a variety of results depending on the individual features of each farm-household, such as the differences between: (a) a 'no reaction' attitude; (b) an adaptation of farm activity and assets; and (c) a radical reaction pattern guided by high-income alternatives to farming. This highlights the potential of this tool as a generator of ideas and working hypotheses. We argue that, in view of the further developments of the CAP, the use of instruments able to account for multiple objectives, dynamics and investment choices will become even more relevant in the analysis of EU agricultural policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 207 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
OR in agriculture Dynamic models Household models Multi-objective models Investment;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gebeltova, Zdenka & Pletichova, D., 2012. "Proposal of the Creation of Resources for the Maintenance of the Production Capability of the Agricultural Land Fund by Way of Tax Savings," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 4(4), December.
- Viaggi, D. & Bartolini, F. & Puddu, M. & Raggi, M., 2013.
"Impact of post-2013 CAP reform on land markets: evidence from farm surveys and farm-level modelling,"
Proceedings Issues, 2013: Productivity and Its Impacts on Global Trade, June 2-4, 2013. Seville, Spain
152376, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Viaggi, D. & Bartolini, F. & Puddu, M. & Raggi, M., 2013. "Impact of post-2013 CAP reform on land markets: evidence from farm surveys and farm-level modelling," Proceedings Issues, 2013: Productivity and Its Impacts on Global Trade, June 2-4, 2013. Seville, Spain 152375, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Viaggi, Davide & Raggi, Meri & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2011. "Farm-household investment behaviour and the CAP decoupling: Methodological issues in assessing policy impacts," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 127-145, January.
- Elisa Gatto & Alba Marino & Guido Signorino, 2013. "Biodiversity and risk management in agriculture:what do we learn from CAP reforms? A farm-level analysis," ERSA conference papers ersa13p805, European Regional Science Association.
- Viaggi, Davide & Bartolini, Fabio & Puddu, Marco & Raggi, Meri, 2013. "Farm/Household-level Simulation Results of Testing Policy and Other Scenarios," Factor Markets Working Papers 166, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Bartolini, Fabio & Viaggi, Davide, 2011. "Factors Affecting the Impact of CAP Scenarios on Farm Structure: An Analysis Based on Stated Intentions," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114244, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.