How does research address the design of innovative agricultural production systems at the farm level? A review
AbstractIn trying to respond to societal demands for sustainable development, farming systems worldwide face a range of environmental, technical and economic challenges. These challenges call for renewed methodologies that can be used to support farmers in designing innovative agricultural production systems at the farm level. This paper aims to analyze the various methods described in scientific literature. The review is based on the analysis of 80 reference papers published in international scientific journals between 1999 and 2010. We focused in particular on the purpose of the research, which fell into two broad categories: “design” and “design support”. We also examined the use of models to represent production systems and to evaluate ex-ante the impact of innovations on these systems’ functioning and performance. In so doing, we developed a classification system to organize the studies into five sub-categories according to the type of methodology followed, namely: prototyping and design modelling for design orientated studies; participation, support modelling and advisory for design-support orientated studies. We found that very few studies attempt to address the three main components of an innovation process in agricultural production systems (biotechnical processes, farm management, and advisory services) within a single research framework. We therefore developed such a framework by connecting the design and design support orientations together with biotechnical research and conducting integrated research both at farm and advisory service levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Agricultural Systems.
Volume (Year): 104 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agsy
Participation; Modelling; Advisory; Farm management; Crop; Livestock;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giller, K.E. & Tittonell, P. & Rufino, M.C. & van Wijk, M.T. & Zingore, S. & Mapfumo, P. & Adjei-Nsiah, S. & Herrero, M. & Chikowo, R. & Corbeels, M. & Rowe, E.C. & Baijukya, F. & Mwijage, A. & Smith,, 2011. "Communicating complexity: Integrated assessment of trade-offs concerning soil fertility management within African farming systems to support innovation and development," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 191-203, February.
- Kerr, D. V. & Cowan, R. T. & Chaseling, J., 1999. "DAIRYPRO--a knowledge-based decision support system for strategic planning on sub-tropical dairy farms. I. System description," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 245-255, March.
- Ahumada, Omar & Villalobos, J. Rene, 2009. "Application of planning models in the agri-food supply chain: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(1), pages 1-20, July.
- Vayssières, Jonathan & Bocquier, François & Lecomte, Philippe, 2009. "GAMEDE: A global activity model for evaluating the sustainability of dairy enterprises. Part II - Interactive simulation of various management strategies with diverse stakeholders," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 139-151, July.
- Sharifi, M. A. & Van Keulen, H., 1994. "A decision support system for land use planning at farm enterprise level," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 239-257.
- Dogliotti, S. & van Ittersum, M.K. & Rossing, W.A.H., 2005. "A method for exploring sustainable development options at farm scale: a case study for vegetable farms in South Uruguay," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 29-51, October.
- Sadras, Victor & Roget, David & Krause, Mike, 2003. "Dynamic cropping strategies for risk management in dry-land farming systems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 929-948, June.
- Torkamani, Javad, 2005. "Using a whole-farm modelling approach to assess prospective technologies under uncertainty," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 138-154, August.
- Donnelly, J. R. & Freer, M. & Salmon, L. & Moore, A. D. & Simpson, R. J. & Dove, H. & Bolger, T. P., 2002. "Evolution of the GRAZPLAN decision support tools and adoption by the grazing industry in temperate Australia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 115-139, October.
- Langeveld, J.W.A. & van Keulen, H. & de Haan, J.J. & Kroonen-Backbier, B.M.A. & Oenema, J., 2005. "The nucleus and pilot farm research approach: experiences from The Netherlands," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 227-252, May.
- Dowle, K. & Doyle, C. J. & Spedding, A. W. & Pollott, G. E., 1988. "A model for evaluating grassland management decisions on beef and sheep farms in the UK," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 299-317.
- Janssen, Sander & van Ittersum, Martin K., 2007. "Assessing farm innovations and responses to policies: A review of bio-economic farm models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 622-636, June.
- Gibbons, James M. & Sparkes, Debbie L. & Wilson, Paul & Ramsden, Stephen J., 2005. "Modelling optimal strategies for decreasing nitrate loss with variation in weather - a farm-level approach," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 113-134, February.
- Cros, M. J. & Duru, M. & Garcia, F. & Martin-Clouaire, R., 2004. "Simulating management strategies: the rotational grazing example," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 23-42, April.
- Lisson, Shaun & MacLeod, Neil & McDonald, Cam & Corfield, Jeff & Pengelly, Bruce & Wirajaswadi, Lalu & Rahman, Rahmat & Bahar, Syamsu & Padjung, Rusnadi & Razak, Nasruddin & Puspadi, Ketut & Dahlanudd, 2010. "A participatory, farming systems approach to improving Bali cattle production in the smallholder crop-livestock systems of Eastern Indonesia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(7), pages 486-497, September.
- Herrero, M. & Fawcett, R. H. & Dent, J. B., 1999. "Bio-economic evaluation of dairy farm management scenarios using integrated simulation and multiple-criteria models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 169-188, December.
- Blazy, Jean-Marc & Ozier-Lafontaine, Harry & Doré, Thierry & Thomas, Alban & Wery, Jacques, 2009. "A methodological framework that accounts for farm diversity in the prototyping of crop management systems. Application to banana-based systems in Guadeloupe," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 101(1-2), pages 30-41, June.
- Bernet, T. & Ortiz, O. & Estrada, R. D. & Quiroz, R. & Swinton, S. M., 2001. "Tailoring agricultural extension to different production contexts: a user-friendly farm-household model to improve decision-making for participatory research," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 183-198, September.
- Veysset, P. & Bebin, D. & Lherm, M., 2005. "Adaptation to Agenda 2000 (CAP reform) and optimisation of the farming system of French suckler cattle farms in the Charolais area: a model-based study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 179-202, February.
- de Buck, A. J. & Hendrix, E. M. T. & Schoorlemmer, H. B., 1999. "Analysing production and environmental risks in arable farming systems: A mathematical approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 416-426, December.
- Musshoff, Oliver & Hirschauer, Norbert, 2007. "What benefits are to be derived from improved farm program planning approaches? - The role of time series models and stochastic optimization," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 95(1-3), pages 11-27, December.
- Cardoso, I. M. & Guijt, I. & Franco, F. S. & Carvalho, A. F. & Ferreira Neto, P. S., 2001. "Continual learning for agroforestry system design: university, NGO and farmer partnership in Minas Gerais, Brazil," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 235-257, September.
- Tittonell, P. & van Wijk, M.T. & Herrero, M. & Rufino, M.C. & de Ridder, N. & Giller, K.E., 2009. "Beyond resource constraints - Exploring the biophysical feasibility of options for the intensification of smallholder crop-livestock systems in Vihiga district, Kenya," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 101(1-2), pages 1-19, June.
- Dorward, Peter & Galpin, Mark & Shepherd, Derek, 2003. "Participatory Farm Management methods for assessing the suitability of potential innovations. A case study on green manuring options for tomato producers in Ghana," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 97-117, January.
- Castelan-Ortega, Octavio A. & Fawcett, Roy H. & Arriaga-Jordan, Carlos & Herrero, Mario, 2003. "A Decision Support System for smallholder campesino maize-cattle production systems of the Toluca Valley in Central Mexico. Part II--Emulating the farming system," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 23-46, January.
- Hayman, P. T. & Easdown, W. J., 2002. "An ecology of a DSS: reflections on managing wheat crops in the northeastern Australian grains region with WHEATMAN," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 57-77, October.
- Tittonell, P. & Muriuki, A. & Shepherd, K.D. & Mugendi, D. & Kaizzi, K.C. & Okeyo, J. & Verchot, L. & Coe, R. & Vanlauwe, B., 2010. "The diversity of rural livelihoods and their influence on soil fertility in agricultural systems of East Africa - A typology of smallholder farms," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 83-97, February.
- Sterk, B. & van Ittersum, M.K. & Leeuwis, C. & Rossing, W.A.H. & van Keulen, H. & van de Ven, G.W.J., 2006. "Finding niches for whole-farm design models - contradictio in terminis?," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 211-228, February.
- Buysse, J. & Van Huylenbroeck, G. & Vanslembrouck, I. & Vanrolleghem, P., 2005. "Simulating the influence of management decisions on the nutrient balance of dairy farms," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 333-348, December.
- Dogliotti, S. & Rossing, W. A. H. & van Ittersum, M. K., 2004. "Systematic design and evaluation of crop rotations enhancing soil conservation, soil fertility and farm income: a case study for vegetable farms in South Uruguay," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 277-302, June.
- Stonehouse, D. P. & de Vos, G. W. & Weersink, A., 2002. "Livestock manure systems for swine finishing enterprises," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 279-296, September.
- Yiridoe, Emmanuel K. & Langyintuo, Augustine S. & Dogbe, Wilson, 2006. "Economics of the impact of alternative rice cropping systems on subsistence farming: Whole-farm analysis in northern Ghana," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 91(1-2), pages 102-121, November.
- Carberry, P. S. & Hochman, Z. & McCown, R. L. & Dalgliesh, N. P. & Foale, M. A. & Poulton, P. L. & Hargreaves, J. N. G. & Hargreaves, D. M. G. & Cawthray, S. & Hillcoat, N. & Robertson, M. J., 2002. "The FARMSCAPE approach to decision support: farmers', advisers', researchers' monitoring, simulation, communication and performance evaluation," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 141-177, October.
- Thornton, P. K. & Herrero, M., 2001. "Integrated crop-livestock simulation models for scenario analysis and impact assessment," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 70(2-3), pages 581-602.
- Modin-Edman, Anna-Karin & Oborn, Ingrid & Sverdrup, Harald, 2007. "FARMFLOW--A dynamic model for phosphorus mass flow, simulating conventional and organic management of a Swedish dairy farm," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 431-444, May.
- van de Ven, G.W.J. & van Keulen, H., 2007. "A mathematical approach to comparing environmental and economic goals in dairy farming: Identifying strategic development options," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 231-246, May.
- Waithaka, M.M. & Thornton, P.K. & Herrero, M. & Shepherd, K.D., 2006. "Bio-economic evaluation of farmers' perceptions of viable farms in western Kenya," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 90(1-3), pages 243-271, October.
- de Geus, A. P., 1992. "Modelling to predict or to learn?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-5, May.
- White, Douglas S. & Labarta, Ricardo A. & Leguia, Efrain J., 2005. "Technology adoption by resource-poor farmers: considering the implications of peak-season labor costs," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 183-201, August.
- Cacho, O. J. & Finlayson, J. D. & Bywater, A. C., 1995. "A simulation model of grazing sheep: II. Whole farm model," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 27-50.
- Zingore, S. & González-Estrada, E. & Delve, R.J. & Herrero, M. & Dimes, J.P. & Giller, K.E., 2009. "An integrated evaluation of strategies for enhancing productivity and profitability of resource-constrained smallholder farms in Zimbabwe," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 101(1-2), pages 57-68, June.
- McCown, R. L., 2002. "Changing systems for supporting farmers' decisions: problems, paradigms, and prospects," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 179-220, October.
- Nelson, R. A. & Holzworth, D. P. & Hammer, G. L. & Hayman, P. T., 2002. "Infusing the use of seasonal climate forecasting into crop management practice in North East Australia using discussion support software," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 393-414, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.