Parenting practices and children's education outcomes
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effects of parenting practices on children's education. Our empirical analyses are based on household data from Taiwan. More specifically, we investigate the influence of parents' child-rearing practices (i.e., encouragement and punishment) on their children's education attainments and aspirations. We also explore the association between parents' socioeconomic background and their child-rearing practices. The empirical results help explain the relationship between family background and education attainments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics of Education Review.
Volume (Year): 24 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/econedurev
Other versions of this item:
- Kamhon Kana & Wei-Der Tsai, 2003. "Parenting Practices and Children's Education Outcomes," IEAS Working Paper : academic research 03-A005, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- J13 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Fertility; Family Planning; Child Care; Children; Youth
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker, Gary S & Tomes, Nigel, 1979. "An Equilibrium Theory of the Distribution of Income and Intergenerational Mobility," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1153-89, December.
- Avery, Robert B & Hansen, Lars Peter & Hotz, V Joseph, 1983. "Multiperiod Probit Models and Orthogonality Condition Estimation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(1), pages 21-35, February.
- Kane, Thomas J, 1994. "College Entry by Blacks since 1970: The Role of College Costs, Family Background, and the Returns to Education," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(5), pages 878-911, October.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1996. "Estimating systems of equations with different instruments for different equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 387-405, October.
- Lorraine Dearden & Javier Ferri & Costas Meghir, 2002.
"The Effect Of School Quality On Educational Attainment And Wages,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Lorraine Dearden & Javier Ferri & Costas Meghir, 1998. "The effect of school quality on educational attainment and wages," IFS Working Papers W98/03, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lorraine Dearden & Javier Ferri & Costas Meghir, 2000. "The effect of school quality on educational attainment and wages," IFS Working Papers W00/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Leibowitz, Arleen, 1974. "Home Investments in Children," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(2), pages S111-S131, Part II, .
- O'Brien, Margaret & Jones, Deborah, 1999. "Children, Parental Employment and Educational Attainment: An English Case Study," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(5), pages 599-621, September.
- Robert Kaestner, 1997.
"Are Brothers Really Better? Sibling Sex Composition and Educational Achievement Revisited,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(2), pages 250-284.
- Robert Kaestner, 1996. "Are Brothers Really Better? Sibling Sex Composition and Educational Achievement Revisited," NBER Working Papers 5521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dale J. Poirier and Paul A. Ruud., 1987.
"Probit with Dependent Observations,"
Economics Working Papers
8734, University of California at Berkeley.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1, October.
- Robert Haveman & Barbara Wolfe, 1995. "The Determinants of Children's Attainments: A Review of Methods and Findings," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1829-1878, December.
- David A. Kodde & Jozef M. M. Ritzen, 1988. "Direct and Indirect Effects of Parental Education Level on the Demand for Higher Education," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 23(3), pages 356-371.
- Donna K. Ginther & Robert A. Pollak, 2003.
"Does Family Structure Affect Children's Educational Outcomes?,"
NBER Working Papers
9628, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donna K. Ginther & Robert A. Pollak, 2000. "Does family structure affect children's educational outcomes?," Working Paper 2000-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- David M. Blau, 1999. "The Effect Of Income On Child Development," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 261-276, May.
- Daniel Aaronson, 1996.
"Using sibling data to estimate the impact of neighborhoods on children' s educational outcomes,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
WP-96-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Daniel Aaronson, 1998. "Using Sibling Data to Estimate the Impact of Neighborhoods on Children's Educational Outcomes," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(4), pages 915-946.
- Daniel Aaronson, . "Using Sibling Data to Estimate the Impact of Neighborhoods on Children's Educational Outcomes," IPR working papers 95-20, Institute for Policy Resarch at Northwestern University.
- Arleen Leibowitz, 1974. "Home Investments in Children," NBER Chapters, in: Marriage, Family, Human Capital, and Fertility, pages 111-135 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arleen Leibowitz, 1974. "Home Investments in Children," NBER Chapters, in: Economics of the Family: Marriage, Children, and Human Capital, pages 432-456 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Bruce A. Weinberg, 2001. "An Incentive Model of the Effect of Parental Income on Children," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(2), pages 266-280, April.
- Van Klaveren, Chris, 2011.
"Lecturing style teaching and student performance,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 729-739, August.
- Gabor Kertesi & Gabor Kezdi, 2005. "Roma children in the transformational recession - Widening ethnic schooling gap and Roma poverty in post-communist Hungary," Budapest Working Papers on the Labour Market 0508, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Kertesi, Gábor & Kézdi, Gábor, 2005.
"Általános iskolai szegregáció, I. rész. Okok és következmények
[Segregation in the primary-school system, I. Causes and consequences]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(4), pages 317-355.
- Strain, Michael R., 2013. "Single-sex classes & student outcomes: Evidence from North Carolina," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 73-87.
- Kim, Youngmi & Sherraden, Michael & Clancy, Margaret, 2013. "Do mothers’ educational expectations differ by race and ethnicity, or socioeconomic status?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 82-94.
- Chumacero, Rómulo A. & Gómez, Daniel & Paredes, Ricardo D., 2011. "I would walk 500 miles (if it paid): Vouchers and school choice in Chile," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1103-1114, October.
- Yuxin Li & Karen Mumford, . "Aspirations, Expectations and Education Outcomes for Children in Britain: Considering Relative Measures of Family Efficiency," Discussion Papers 09/26, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Otto, Annette, 2013. "Saving in childhood and adolescence: Insights from developmental psychology," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 8-18.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.