The value of information: The case of signal-dependent opportunity sets
AbstractWe generalize the economic decision problem considered by Blackwell(1953) in which a decision maker chooses an action after observing a signal correlated to the state of nature. Unlike Blackwell's case where the feasible set is fixed, in our framework, the feasible set of actions depends on the signal and the information system. As we indicate such a framework has more significance to economic models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
Volume (Year): 21 (1997)
Issue (Month): 10 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc
Other versions of this item:
- Sulganik,E. & Zilcha,I., 1996. "The value of Information: the Case of Signal-Dependent Opportunity Sets," Papers 1-96, Tel Aviv.
- C70 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - General
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanford Grossman & Oliver Hart, .
"An Analysis of the Principal-Agent Problem,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
15-80, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Edward E. Schlee, 1996. "The Value of Information About Product Quality," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(4), pages 803-815, Winter.
- Green, Jerry R, 1981. "Value of Information with Sequential Futures Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 335-58, March.
- Hirshleifer, Jack, 1975. "Speculation and Equilibrium: Information, Risk, and Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 519-42, November.
- Wilson, Robert B, 1978. "Information, Efficiency, and the Core of an Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 807-16, July.
- Matthew Doyle, 2010.
"Informational externalities, strategic delay, and optimal investment subsidies,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(3), pages 941-966, August.
- Doyle, Matthew, 2002. "Informational Externalities, Strategic Delay, and the Search for Optimal Policy," Staff General Research Papers 10046, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bruno Bassan & Olivier Gossner & Marco Scarsini & Shmuel Zamir, 2001.
"Positive value of information in games,"
ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series
26-2003, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research, revised Jul 2003.
- G. Berttocchi, 1995.
"Growth Under Uncertainty with Experimentation,"
95-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Lehrer, Ehud & Rosenberg, Dinah, 2006.
"What restrictions do Bayesian games impose on the value of information?,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 343-357, June.
- Ehud Lehrer & Dinah Rosenberg, 2003. "What restrictions do Bayesian games impose on the value of information?," Game Theory and Information 0312005, EconWPA.
- Alfred Müller & Marco Scarsini, 2002. "Even Risk-Averters may Love Risk," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 81-99, February.
- Marcoul, Philippe & Weninger, Quinn, 2008.
"Search and active learning with correlated information: Empirical evidence from mid-Atlantic clam fishermen,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1921-1948, June.
- Marcoul, Philippe & Weninger, Quinn, 2008. "Search and Active Learning with Correlated Information: Empirical Evidence from Mid-Atlantic Clam Fishermen," Staff General Research Papers 11601, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hiroyuki Nakata, 2011. "Equivalent comparisons of information channels," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 71(4), pages 559-574, October.
- Emmanuel Haven, 2008. "Private Information and the ‘Information Function’: A Survey of Possible Uses," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 64(2), pages 193-228, March.
- Eckwert, Bernhard & Zilcha, Itzhak, 2001. "The Value of Information in Production Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 172-186, September.
- Broll, Udo & Eckwert, Bernhard & Eickhoff, Andreas, 2012. "Financial intermediation and endogenous risk in the banking sector," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1618-1622.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.