The expansion of public health insurance and the demand for private health insurance in rural China
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of the New Cooperative Medical Scheme (NCMS) on private health insurance purchasing decisions in rural China, using longitudinal data from the China Health and Nutrition Survey (CHNS, 2000-2006). A Difference-in-difference (DID) approach is employed to estimate NCMS effects. The overall effects of NCMS were modest, but differed for adults and children. We find that adults were 2.1% more likely to purchase private health insurance when NCMS became available. NCMS had a larger positive effect on adult private coverage in higher income groups and in communities with a preexisting health care financing system, known as the Cooperative Medical Scheme (CMS). We also find evidence suggesting that NCMS crowded out child private health insurance, especially in lower income groups. However, this finding is not robust to controlling for other covariates including household characteristics and availability of private insurance in the community. For both adults and children, risk preferences and socio-economic status, including income and education, are important predictors of private insurance take-up. We find no evidence for adverse selection in the demand for private health insurance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal China Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 22 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/chieco
New Cooperative Medical Scheme Private health insurance Rural China;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomqvist, Åke, 2009. "Health system reform in China: What role for private insurance?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 605-612, December.
- Xiao-Hua Ying & Teh-Wei Hu & Jane Ren & Wen Chen & Ke Xu & Jin-Hui Huang, 2007. "Demand for private health insurance in Chinese urban areas," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(10), pages 1041-1050.
- John Strauss & Duncan Thomas, 1998.
"Health, Nutrition, and Economic Development,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 766-817, June.
- Xueshan, Feng & Shenglan, Tang & Bloom, Gerald & Segall, Malcolm & Xingyuan, Gu, 1995. "Cooperative medical schemes in contemporary rural China," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1111-1118, October.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Lindelow, Magnus & Jun, Gao & Ling, Xu & Juncheng, Qian, 2009.
"Extending health insurance to the rural population: An impact evaluation of China's new cooperative medical scheme,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Lindelow, Magnus & Gao Jun & Xu Ling & Qian Juncheng, 2007. "Extending health insurance to the rural population : an impact evaluation of China's new cooperative medical scheme," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4150, The World Bank.
- Adam Wagstaff & Winnie Yip & Magnus Lindelow & William C. Hsiao, 2009. "China's health system and its reform: a review of recent studies," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(S2), pages S7-S23, July.
- Yuyu Chen & Hongbin Li, 2006.
"Mother's Education and Child Health: Is There a Nurturing Effect?,"
00021, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Yuyu & Li, Hongbin, 2009. "Mother's education and child health: Is there a nurturing effect?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 413-426, March.
- Dennis G. Shea & R. Patrick Stewart, 1995. "Demand for insurance by elderly persons: Private purchases and employer provision," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(4), pages 315-326, 07.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 2007.
"China's (uneven) progress against poverty,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 1-42, January.
- Karen Eggleston & Li Ling & Meng Qingyue & Magnus Lindelow & Adam Wagstaff, 2008.
"Health service delivery in China: a literature review,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 149-165.
- Eggleston, Karen & Ling, Li & Qingyue, Meng & Lindelow, Magnus & Wagstaff, Adam, 2006. "Health Service Delivery in China: A Literature Review," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3978, The World Bank.
- Gordon G. Liu & Xiaodong Wu & Chaoyang Peng & Alex Z. Fu, 2003. "Urbanization And Health Care In Rural China," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(1), pages 11-24, 01.
- Wang, H. Holly & Rosenman, Robert, 2007. "Perceived need and actual demand for health insurance among rural Chinese residents," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 373-388.
- Chou, Shin-Yi & Liu, Jin-Tan & Hammitt, James K., 2003. "National Health Insurance and precautionary saving: evidence from Taiwan," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 1873-1894, September.
- Liu, Tsai-Ching & Chen, Chin-Shyan, 2002. "An analysis of private health insurance purchasing decisions with national health insurance in Taiwan," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 755-774, September.
- Finkelstein, Amy, 2004. "The interaction of partial public insurance programs and residual private insurance markets: evidence from the US Medicare program," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Yip, Winnie & Hsiao, William, 2009. "China's health care reform: A tentative assessment," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 613-619, December.
- Wang, Hufeng, 2009. "A dilemma of Chinese healthcare reform: How to re-define government roles?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 598-604, December.
- Dong, Keyong, 2009. "Medical insurance system evolution in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 591-597, December.
- You, Xuedan & Kobayashi, Yasuki, 2009. "The new cooperative medical scheme in China," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 1-9, June.
- Shore-Sheppard, Lara & Buchmueller, Thomas C. & Jensen, Gail A., 2000. "Medicaid and crowding out of private insurance: a re-examination using firm level data," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 61-91, January.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Yu, Shengchao, 2007.
"Do health sector reforms have their intended impacts?: The World Bank's Health VIII project in Gansu province, China,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 505-535, May.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Yu, Shengchao, 2005. "Do health sector reforms have their intended impacts ? The World Bank's Health VIII project in Gansu province, China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3743, The World Bank.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
- Denise Doiron & Glenn Jones & Elizabeth Savage, 2008. "Healthy, wealthy and insured? The role of self-assessed health in the demand for private health insurance," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 317-334.
- Carrin, Guy & Ron, Aviva & Hui, Yang & Hong, Wang & Tuohong, Zhang & Licheng, Zhang & Shuo, Zhang & Yide, Ye & Jiaying, Chen & Qicheng, Jiang & Zhaoyang, Zhang & Jun, Yu & Xuesheng, Li, 1999. "The reform of the rural cooperative medical system in the People's Republic of China: interim experience in 14 pilot counties," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 48(7), pages 961-972, April.
- Cutler, David M & Gruber, Jonathan, 1996.
"Does Public Insurance Crowd Out Private Insurance?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(2), pages 391-430, May.
- David M. Cutler & Jonathan Gruber, 1995. "Does Public Insurance Crowd Out Private Insurance?," NBER Working Papers 5082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xiaoyan Lei & Wanchuan Lin, 2009. "The New Cooperative Medical Scheme in rural China: does more coverage mean more service and better health?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(S2), pages S25-S46, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.