International Effects of Tax Reforms
AbstractIn an open economy with international capital flows, there is an equivalence relation between income tax, consumption tax, international borrowing tax, and an external interest earning tax. This paper analyzes tax reform involving shifts between income and consumption taxes in this setting. It is shown that the real effects of such revenue-neutral tax reform depend critically on the country's current account position and the nature of the reform. In particular, whether the world interest rate rises or falls as a consequence of a budget deficit depends on the tax system in force. The analysis provides a clear rationale for the international coordination of tax policies. Copyright 1989 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 99 (1989)
Issue (Month): 395 (Supplement)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brock, William A & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1981. "The Analysis of Macroeconomic Policies in Perfect Foresight Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 179-209, February.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Lawrence Kotlikoff, 1980.
"National Savings, Economic Welfare, and the Structure of Taxation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
570, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1983. "National Savings, Economic Welfare, and the Structure of Taxation," NBER Chapters, in: Behavioral Simulation Methods in Tax Policy Analysis, pages 459-498 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1983. "National Savings, Economic Welfare, and the Structure of Taxation," NBER Working Papers 0729, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judd, Kenneth L, 1987. "A Dynamic Theory of Factor Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(2), pages 42-48, May.
- Ploeg, F. van der, 1990.
"Budgetary aspects of economic and monetary integration in Europe,"
1990-37, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1991. "Budgetary Aspects of Economic and Monetary Integration in Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 492, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Van Der Ploeg, F., 1990. "Budgetary Aspects Of Economic And Monetary Integration Inn Europe," Papers 9037, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Giovanni Ganelli & Juha Tervala, 2014.
"Dynamic Scoring in Open Economies,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 70(1), pages 31-66, March.
- Juha Tervala & Giovanni Ganelli, 2008. "Tax Reforms, "Free Lunches", and "Cheap Lunches" in Open Economies," IMF Working Papers 08/227, International Monetary Fund.
- Enrique G. Mendoza, 2001. "The International Macroeconomics of Taxation and the Case Against European Tax Harmonization," NBER Working Papers 8217, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Giovannini, 1987. "International Capital Mobility and Tax Evasion," NBER Working Papers 2460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Steve Symansky, 1991.
"International VAT Harmonization: Economic Effects,"
NBER Working Papers
3656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Van Der Ploeg, F., 1990.
"Macroeconomic Policy Coordination During The Various Phases Of Economic And Monetary Integration In Europe,"
9061, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Ploeg, F. van der, 1990. "Macroeconomic policy coordination during the various phases of economic and monetary integration in Europe," Discussion Paper 1990-61, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- A. Bovenberg, 1994. "Destination- and origin-based taxation under international capital mobility," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 247-273, October.
- Lin, Shuanglin, 1999. "Tax reform and external balance," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 891-909, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.