International Capital Mobility and Tax Evasion
AbstractThis paper studies the welfare effects of international investment to evade domestic taxes on domestic investment income. Capital mobility for tax evasion eliminates distortions in the intertemporal allocation of consumption, but introduces distortions in domestic production. Conversely, a regime where residents pay taxes on all investment income, domestic and foreign, introduces distortions in intertemporal consumption allocation, but leaves domestic production distortion-free. The relative magnitude of the interest elasticity of savings and the interest elasticity of domestic investment determines the welfare effects of capital movements for the purpose tax evasion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2460.
Date of creation: Dec 1987
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as "International Capital Mobility and Tax Avoidance." Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, No. 177, pp. 197-223, June 1991.
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Findlay, Christopher C, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of International Income Flows," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 62(177), pages 208-14, June.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Kent P. Kimbrough, 1987. "An Investigation in the Theory of Foreign Exchange Controls," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 271-88, May.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1980. "Dynamic inconsistency, cooperation and the benevolent dissembling government," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 93-107, May.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1986.
"Capital mobility in the world economy: Theory and measurement,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 55-103, January.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1985. "Capital Mobility in the World Economy: Theory and Measurement," NBER Working Papers 1692, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James M. Poterba, 1987.
"Tax Evasion and Capital Gains Taxation,"
436, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Horst, Thomas, 1980. "A Note on the Optimal Taxation of International Investment Income," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 793-98, June.
- Alan C. Stockman & Alejandro Hernandez D., 1985.
"Exchange Controls, Capital Controls, and International Financial Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
1755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stockman, Alan C & Hernandez D, Alejandro, 1988. "Exchange Controls, Capital Controls, and International Financial Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 362-74, June.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1989.
"International Effects of Tax Reforms,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(395), pages 38-58, Supplemen.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1978. "Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bhag78-1, May.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Kent P. Kimbrough, 1985. "Capital Controls and Fiscal Policy in the World Economy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 743-65, November.
- Adams, Charles & Greenwood, Jeremy, 1985. "Dual exchange rate systems and capital controls: An investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 43-63, February.
- Joshua Aizenman, 1986.
"On the Complementarity of Commercial Policy, Capital Controls, and Inflation Tax,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(1), pages 114-33, February.
- Joshua Aizenman, 1985. "On the Complementarity of Commercial Policy, Capital Controls and Inflation Tax," NBER Working Papers 1583, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Slemrod, J., 1990.
"A North-South Model Of Taxation And Capital Flows,"
257, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1988.
"Savings Promotion, Investment Promotion, and International Competitiveness,"
NBER Working Papers
2635, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1989. "Savings Promotion, Investment Promotion, and International Competitiveness," NBER Chapters, in: Trade Policies for International Competitiveness, pages 5-52 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shah, Anwar & Slemrod, Joel, 1990. "Tax sensitivity of foreign direct investment : an empirical assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 434, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.