Exchange-rate management viewed as tax policies
AbstractThe paper develops an analytical framework which demonstrates that the various forms of exchange-rate management are equivalent to corresponding tax policies. To highlight the salient issues, we consider two specific categories of exchange-rate policies. The first is a dual exchange-rate regime, which separates exchange rates for commercial and for financial transactions, and the second is a unified exchange-rate system in which the country unilaterally pegs its exchange rate at the same rate for all transactions. We show that the dual exchange rate policies can be usefully cast as distortionary taxes on international borrowing, and a unified pegged exchange-rate policies can be usefully cast as lump-sum tax cum subsidy policies. The equivalence between the various characteristics of exchange-rate management and tax management suggests that exchange-rate analysis could be usefully incorporated into the broader framework of the analysis of fiscal policies. A two-country model of the world economy is used to demonstrate the international transmission mechanism of these policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 33 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eer
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adams, Charles & Greenwood, Jeremy, 1985. "Dual exchange rate systems and capital controls: An investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 43-63, February.
- Greenwood, Jeremy, 1983. "Expectations, the exchange rate, and the current account," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 543-569, November.
- Persson, Torsten, 1984. "Real transfers in fixed exchange rate systems and the international adjustment mechanism," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 349-369, May.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981.
"An Exploration in the Theory of Exchange-Rate Regimes,"
3445091, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981. "An Exploration in the Theory of Exchange-Rate Regimes," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 865-90, October.
- Joshua Aizenman, 1986.
"On the Complementarity of Commercial Policy, Capital Controls and Inflation Tax,"
NBER Working Papers
1583, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman, 1986. "On the Complementarity of Commercial Policy, Capital Controls, and Inflation Tax," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(1), pages 114-33, February.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1978.
"A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
113, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Stockman, Alan C & Hernandez D, Alejandro, 1988.
"Exchange Controls, Capital Controls, and International Financial Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 362-74, June.
- Alan C. Stockman & Alejandro Hernandez D., 1989. "Exchange Controls, Capital Controls, and International Financial Markets," NBER Working Papers 1755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1986. "Fiscal Policies in the World Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 564-94, June.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1986.
"Capital Controls, The Dual Exchange Rate, and Devaluation,"
NBER Working Papers
1324, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1986. "Capital controls, the dual exchange rate, and devaluation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 1-20, February.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1986.
"Special Exchange Rates for Capital Account Transactions,"
NBER Working Papers
1659, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1986. "Special Exchange Rates for Capital Account Transactions," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 3-33, September.
- Huizinga, Harry, 1997.
"Real exchange rate misalignment and redistribution,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 259-277, February.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1997. "Real exchange rate misalignment and redistribution," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-73813, Tilburg University.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1994. "Real exchange rate misalignment and redistribution," Discussion Paper 1994-90, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Huizinga, H., 1994. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment and Redistribution," Papers 9490, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1996. "The Taxation Implicit in Two-Tiered Exchange Rate Systems," Discussion Paper 1996-100, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Paul Reding & Jean-Marie Viaene, 1995. "Capital controls and international trade finance in a dual exchange rate regime: The Belgian experience post-mortem," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 1-27, March.
- B. Gabriela Mundaca & Jon Strand, 2004.
"A Risk Allocation Approach to Optimal Exchange Rate Policy,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1361, CESifo Group Munich.
- B. Gabriela Mundaca & Jon Strand, 2005. "A risk allocation approach to optimal exchange rate policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(3), pages 398-421, July.
- Canzoneri, M. & Rogers, C., 1989. "Is the European Community an Optimal Currency Area? : Optimal Tax Smoothing versus the Cost of Multiple Currencies," Discussion Paper 1989-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cécile Daubrée & Jean-Paul Azam, 1991. "La détermination des taux de change parallèles en Afrique : modèle macro-économique et test économétrique (Nigeria, Zaïre, Ghana)," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 97(1), pages 105-115.
- Windt, P.C. van der & Schaling, E. & Huizinga, H.P., 2007.
"Capital Controls and Foreign Investor Subsidies Implicit in South Africa's Dual Exchange Rate System,"
2007-91, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Huizinga, Harry & Schaling, Eric & van der Windt, Peter C, 2007. "Capital Controls and Foreign Investor Subsidies Implicit in South Africa's Dual Exchange Rate System," CEPR Discussion Papers 6347, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.