The Effects of Inflation Targeting on the Current Account: An Empirical Examination
AbstractEmpirical studies have found that inflation targeting leads to a fall in real interest rate, macroeconomic uncertainty, exchange rate volatility, and output volatility. Economic theory suggests that those elements should lead to a rise in investment and a fall in private savings. However, Rose (2007) reports very little association between current account and inflation targeting. This paper examines the effect of inflation targeting on current account. The results show that, consistent with economic theory, inflation targeting does negatively affect current account once global shocks have been properly accounted for. This evidence implies that exchange rate and balance of payment crises should not lead inflation targeting per se.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Current Account; Inflation Targeting; Panel Data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geraats, P. & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Cruijsen, C.A.B. van der, 2006.
"Does Central Bank Transparancy Reduce Interest Rates?,"
2006-11, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Geraats, Petra M & van der Cruijsen, Carin A B, 2006. "Does Central Bank Transparency Reduce Interest Rates?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5526, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Geraats, P. & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Cruijsen, C.A.B. van der, 2006. "Does Central Bank Transparency Reduce Interest Rates?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-178750, Tilburg University.
- Petra M. Geraats & Sylvester C.W. Eijffinger & Carin A.B. van der Cruijsen, 2006. "Does Central Bank Transparency Reduce Interest Rates?," DNB Working Papers 085, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Gürkaynak, Refet S. & Levin, Andrew & Swanson, Eric T, 2006.
"Does Inflation Targeting Anchor Long-Run Inflation Expectations? Evidence from Long-Term Bond Yields in the US, UK and Sweden,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5808, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Refet S. Gürkaynak & Andrew T. Levin & Eric T. Swanson, 2006. "Does inflation targeting anchor long-run inflation expectations? evidence from long-term bond yields in the U.S., U.K., and Sweden," Working Paper Series 2006-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Alejandro M. Werner, 2002.
"Inflation Targeting in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: Performance, Credibility, and the Exchange Rate,"
Journal of LACEA Economia,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Alejandro Werner, 2002. "Inflation Targeting in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: Performance, Credibility, and the Exchange Rate," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 171, Central Bank of Chile.
- Calderon Cesar Augusto & Chong Alberto & Loayza Norman V., 2002.
"Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-33, March.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Norman Loayza, 1999. "Determinants of Current Account Deficits in Developing Countries," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 51, Central Bank of Chile.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto & Loayza, Norman, 2000. "Determinants of current account deficits in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2398, The World Bank.
- Thorarinn G. Petursson, 2005. "Inflation Targeting and its Effects on Macroeconomic Performance," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2005/5 edited by Morten Balling, March.
- Vittorio Corbo & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2001.
"Inflation Targeting in Latin America,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
105, Central Bank of Chile.
- Menzie David Chinn & Eswar Prasad, 2000.
"Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries - An Empirical Exploration,"
IMF Working Papers
00/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2003. "Medium-term determinants of current accounts in industrial and developing countries: an empirical exploration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 47-76, January.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Eswar S. Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries: An Empirical Exploration," NBER Working Papers 7581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh, 1992.
"Macroeconomic Uncertainty, Precautionary Savings and the Current Account,"
IMF Working Papers
92/72, International Monetary Fund.
- Ghosh, Atish R. & Ostry, Jonathan D., 1997. "Macroeconomic uncertainty, precautionary saving, and the current account," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 121-139, September.
- Thorarinn G. Petursson, 2005. "Inflation Targeting and its Effects on Macroeconomic Performance," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Rose, Andrew K., 2007.
"A stable international monetary system emerges: Inflation targeting is Bretton Woods, reversed,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 663-681, September.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2006. "A Stable International Monetary System Emerges: Inflation Targeting is Bretton Woods, Reversed," NBER Working Papers 12711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000.
"Fear of Floating,"
NBER Working Papers
7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew T. Levin & Fabio M. Natalucci & Jeremy M. Piger, 2004. "The macroeconomic effects of inflation targeting," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 51-80.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.