Optimum filtering for optimum currency areas criteria
AbstractThis study aims to analyze Turkey and the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) countries in the light of criteria suggested by the optimum currency areas (OCA) theory and to compare the criteria obtained by an application of Hodrick-Prescott (H-P) and Baxter-King (B-K) filters. To this end, we follow a novel technique, fuzzy c-means (FCM) clustering with upper and lower levels of fuzziness. The results show that the application of the H-P filtering technique with appropriate smoothing parameter values produces sensible clusters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 6 (2007)
Issue (Month): 44 ()
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F0 - International Economics - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2004.
"Estimating the Smoothing Parameter in the So-Called Hodrick-Prescott Filter,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1054, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2004. "Estimating the Smoothing Parameter in the So-Called Hodrick-Prescott Filter," Discussion Papers in Economics 304, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Artis, M.J. & Zhang, W., 2002. "Membership of EMU: A Fuzzy Clustering Analysis of Alternative Criteria," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 54-79.
- Christian J. Murray, 2003. "Cyclical Properties of Baxter-King Filtered Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 472-476, May.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999.
"Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995. "Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "BKFILTER: RATS procedure to implement band pass filter using Baxter-King method," Statistical Software Components RTS00026, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2002.
""New" views on the optimum currency area theory: what is EMU telling us?,"
Working Paper Series
0138, European Central Bank.
- Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2002. "ìNew" Views on the Optimum Currency Area Theory: What is EMU Telling US?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 140, Royal Economic Society.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1.
- Kozluk, Tomasz, 2005. "CEEC Accession Countries and the EMU - An Assessment of Relative and Readiness for Euro-Area Membership," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 439-474.
- DomeNico Raguseo & Jan Sebo, 2008. "Optimum Currency Areas theory and the Slovak suitability for the euro adoption," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(40), pages 1-14.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.