A Frequency Selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series
AbstractAn effective and easy-to-implement frequency filter is designed by convolving a Hamming window with the ideal rectangular filter response function. Three other filters (Hodrick-Prescott, Baxter-King, and Christiano-Fitzgerald) are critically reviewed. The behavior of the Hamming-windowed filter is compared to the others through their frequency responses and by applying them both to an artificial, known-structure series and the Euro zone GDP quarterly series. As for the Hodrick-Prescott filter, a bandpass version of it is used. The Hamming-windowed filter has almost no leakage and is thus much better than the others at eliminating high frequency components, while the response in the passband is significantly flatter. Moreover, its behavior at low frequencies ensures a better removal of undesired long-term components. Those improvements are particularly evident when working with short-length time series, which are common in Macroeconomics. The proposed filter is stationary, symmetric, uses all the information contained in the raw data and stationarizes series integrated up to order two. It thus proves to be a good candidate for extracting frequency-defined business cycle components.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE) in its series Documents de Travail de l'OFCE with number 2004-05.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Spectral methods; frequency selective filters; Hodrick-Prescott; Baxter-King and Christiano-Fitzgerald bandpass filters; business cycles.;
Other versions of this item:
- Alessandra Iacobucci & Alain Noullez, 2005. "A Frequency Selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 75-102, February.
- Alain Noullez & Alessandra Iacobucci, 2004. "A Frequency-selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 128, Society for Computational Economics.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-06-10 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2004-06-07 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, A.C. & Trimbur, T.M., 2001.
"General Model-based Filters for Extracting Cycles and Trends in Economic Time Series,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0113, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Andrew C. Harvey & Thomas M. Trimbur, 2003. "General Model-Based Filters for Extracting Cycles and Trends in Economic Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 244-255, May.
- Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 1999.
"Business cycle fluctuations in us macroeconomic time series,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 3-64
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1998. "Business Cycle Fluctuations in U.S. Macroeconomic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 6528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Terry J. Fitzgerald, 1999.
"The Band Pass Filter,"
NBER Working Papers
7257, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Haldane, Andrew & Quah, Danny, 1999.
"UK Phillips Curves and Monetary Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2292, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ravn, Morten O. & Uhlig, Harald, 2001.
"On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2858, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2001. "On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations," CESifo Working Paper Series 479, CESifo Group Munich.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S. & Ravn, M., 1997. "On Adjusting the H-P Filter for the Frequency of Observations," Discussion Paper 1997-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Andrew Harvey, 2004. "Trend estimation, signal-noise ratios and the frequency of observations," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 343, Econometric Society.
- Gomez, Victor, 2001. "The Use of Butterworth Filters for Trend and Cycle Estimation in Economic Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 365-73, July.
- King, Robert G. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1993.
"Low frequency filtering and real business cycles,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 207-231.
- Christian J. Murray, 2003. "Cyclical Properties of Baxter-King Filtered Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 472-476, May.
- Luca Benati, 2001. "Band-pass filtering, cointegration, and business cycle analysis," Bank of England working papers 142, Bank of England.
- Ghate, Chetan & Pandey, Radhika & Patnaik, Ila, 2011. "Has India emerged? Business cycle facts from a transitioning economy," Working Papers 11/88, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Robert Dixon & David Shepherd, 2013.
"Regional Dimensions of the Australian Business Cycle,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(2), pages 264-281, February.
- Robert Dixon & David Shepherd, 2009. "Regional Dimensions of the Australian Business Cycle," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1088, The University of Melbourne.
- Ghate, Chetan & Pandey, Radhika & Patnaik, Ila, 2013.
"Has India emerged? Business cycle stylized facts from a transitioning economy,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 157-172.
- Chetan Ghate & Radhika Pandey & Ila Patnaik, 2011. "Has India emerged? Business cycle stylized facts from a transitioning economy," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 11-05, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Matteo Pelagatti & Valeria Negri, 2008. "Milan’s Cycle as an Accurate Leading Indicator for the Italian Business Cycle," Working Papers 20080601, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica.
- Jovanovic, Branimir, 2007. "Calculating the Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rate of the Macedonian Denar," MPRA Paper 43161, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prof D.S.G. Pollock, 2008. "The Realisation of Finite-Sample Frequency-Selective Filters," Discussion Papers in Economics 08/13, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- D.S.G. Pollock, 2008. "Realisations of Finite-Sample Frequency-Selective Filters," Discussion Papers in Economics 08/32, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Matthieu Lemoine, 2005. "A model of the stochastic convergence between business cycles," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2005-05, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Svatopluk Kapounek & Jitka Pomenkova, 2012. "Spurious synchronization of business cycles: Dynamic correlation analysis of V4 countries," MENDELU Working Papers in Business and Economics 2012-22, Mendel University in Brno, Faculty of Business and Economics.
- Schoch, Tobias & Staub, Kaspar & Pfister, Christian, 2012. "Social inequality and the biological standard of living: An anthropometric analysis of Swiss conscription data, 1875–1950," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 154-173.
- Jérôme Creel & Francesco Saraceno, 2008.
"Automatic Stabilisation, Discretionary Policy and the Stability Pact,"
Sciences Po publications
2008-15, Sciences Po.
- Jerome Creel & Francesco Saraceno, 2008. "Automatic Stabilisation, Discretionary Policy and the Stability Pact," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2008-15, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- David Shepherd & Robert Dixon, 2010. "The not-so-great moderation? Evidence on changing volatility from Australian regions," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1090, The University of Melbourne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.