Membership of EMU: A Fuzzy Clustering Analysis of Alternative Criteria
AbstractThe paper applies fuzzy clustering techniques to the member countries of the European Union in order to arrive at an identification of preferred monetary union groupings. The statistical criteria employed are those suggested, alternatively, by the traditional Optimal Currency Area theory or the Treaty of Maastricht. Both criteria sets identify well-identified sub-groups, where a distinction can be made between a “core group” and one or more peripheral goups. Despite some differences, the similarity between the groups distinguished by the alternative sets of criteria is quite striking. On the whole this is good news for the sustainability of the current “Euro-zone”.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 17 (2002)
Issue (Month): ()
Optimal Currency Area; Maastricht Treaty Criteria; EMU; Fuzzy Clustering;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M.J. Artis, 2002.
"Reflections on the Optimal Currency Area (oca) Criteria in the Light of EMU,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
193, Central Bank of Chile.
- M.J. Artis, 2003. "Reflections on the optimal currency area (OCA) criteria in the light of EMU," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 297-307.
- Michael J. Artis, 2002. "Reflections on the Optimal Currency Area (OCA) criteria in the light of EMU," Working Papers 69, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2007:i:44:p:1-18 is not listed on IDEAS
- Itir Ozer & Ibrahim Ozkan, 2007. "Optimum filtering for optimum currency areas criteria," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(44), pages 1-18.
- Peter Wilson & Choy Keen Meng, 2006.
"Prospects For Enhanced Exchange Rate Cooperation in East Asia: Some Preliminary Findings from Generalized PPP Theory,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0601, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Peter Wilson & Keen Meng Choy, 2007. "Prospects for enhanced exchange rate cooperation in East Asia: some preliminary findings from generalized PPP theory," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 981-995.
- Peter Wilson & Keen Meng Choy, 2006. "Prospects For Enhanced Exchange Rate Cooperation In East Asia : Some Preliminary Findings From Generalized Ppp Theory," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22585, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- repec:onb:oenbwp:y::i:69:b:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tsangarides, Charalambos G. & Qureshi, Mahvash Saeed, 2008.
"Monetary Union Membership in West Africa: A Cluster Analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1261-1279, July.
- repec:prg:jnlpep:v:2013:y:2013:i:4:id:431:p:391-411 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sousa, Pedro, 2009. "Do ECB Council Decisions represent always a Real Euro Consensus?," Working Papers 9/2009, Universidade Portucalense, Centro de Investigação em Gestão e Economia (CIGE).
- Alexandra Ferreira-Lopes & Álvaro M. Pina, 2008.
"Business Cycles, Core and Periphery in Monetary Unions: Comparing Europe and North America,"
Working Papers Series 1
ercwp1908, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
- Alexandra Ferreira-Lopes & Álvaro Pina, 2011. "Business Cycles, Core, and Periphery in Monetary Unions: Comparing Europe and North America," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 565-592, September.
- Alexandra Ferreira Lopes & Álvaro M. Pina, 2008. "Business Cycles, Core and Periphery in Monetary Unions: Comparing Europe and North America," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/21, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Erden, Lutfi & Ozkan, Ibrahim, 2014. "Determinants of international transmission of business cycles to Turkish economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 383-390.
- Chee-Heong Quah & Patrick M. Crowley, 2012. "China and the Dollar: An Optimum Currency Area View," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(4), pages 391-411.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.