The Does Globalization Affect Regional Growth? Evidence for NUTS-2 Regions in EU-27
AbstractWe analyze the influence of newly constructed globalization measures on regional growth for the EU-27 countries between 2001 and 2006. The spatial Chow-Lin procedure, a method constructed by the authors, was used to construct, on a NUTS-2 level, complete regional data for exports, imports and FDI inward stocks, which serve as indicators for the influence of globalization, integration and technology transfers on European regions. The results suggest that most regions have significantly benefited from globalization measured by increasing trade openness and FDI. In a non-linear growth convergence model, the growth elasticities for globalization and technology transfers decrease with increasing GDP per capita. Furthermore, the estimated elasticity for FDI decreases when the model includes a higher human capital premium for CEE countries and a small significant growth enhancing effect accrues from the structural funds expenditures in the EU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association Comenius - EACO in its journal DANUBE: Law and Economics Review.
Volume (Year): (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.eaco.eu
Regional Globalization Measures; EU Integration (Structural Funds); Regional Growth Convergence Models; Foreign Direct Investment (FDI);
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberta Capello & Ugo Fratesi, 2010. "Globalization and a dual Europe: future alternative growth trajectories," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(3), pages 633-665, December.
- Diego Puga, 2002.
"European regional policies in light of recent location theories,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 373-406, October.
- Puga, Diego, 2001. "European Regional Policies in Light of Recent Location Theories," CEPR Discussion Papers 2767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Becker, Sascha O. & Egger, Peter H. & von Ehrlich, Maximilian, 2010.
"Going NUTS: The effect of EU Structural Funds on regional performance,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(9-10), pages 578-590, October.
- Becker, Sascha & Egger, Peter H & Fenge, Robert & von, Ehrlich Maximilian, 2008. "Going NUTS: The Effect of EU Structural Funds on Regional Performance," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2008-27, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Sascha O. Becker & Peter Egger & Maximilian Von Ehrlich & Robert Fenge, 2008. "Going NUTS: The Effect of EU Structural Funds on Regional Performance," CESifo Working Paper Series 2495, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hatzius, Jan, 2000. "Foreign direct investment and factor demand elasticities," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 117-143, January.
- Paul Romer, 1989.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manfred Fischer & Claudia Stirböck, 2006. "Pan-European regional income growth and club-convergence," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 693-721, December.
- Aadne Cappelen & Fulvio Castellacci & Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2003. "The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Convergence in the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41, pages 621-644, 09.
- Manfred Fischer & Monika Bartkowska & Aleksandra Riedl & Sascha Sardadvar & Andrea Kunnert, 2009. "The impact of human capital on regional labor productivity in Europe," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 97-108, October.
- Roberta Capello, 2007. "A forecasting territorial model of regional growth: the MASST model," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 753-787, December.
- Sterlacchini, Alessandro, 2008. "R&D, higher education and regional growth: Uneven linkages among European regions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 1096-1107, July.
- Manfred M. Fischer & Thomas Scherngell & Eva Jansenberger, 2005. "The Geography of Knowledge Spillovers between High-Technology Firms in Europe - Evidence from a Spatial Interaction Modelling Perspective," ERSA conference papers ersa05p5, European Regional Science Association.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Wolfgang Polasek & Richard Sellner, 2008. "Spatial Chow-Lin Methods: Bayesian And Ml Forecast Comparisons," Working Paper Series 38-08, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2008.
- Joseph Berechman & Dilruba Ozmen & Kaan Ozbay, 2006. "Empirical analysis of transportation investment and economic development at state, county and municipality levels," Transportation, Springer, vol. 33(6), pages 537-551, November.
- G�ran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Gernot Doppelhofer & Martin Feldkircher, 2008.
"The Determinants of Economic Growth in European Regions,"
2008-26, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Jes�s Crespo Cuaresma & Gernot Doppelhofer & Martin Feldkircher, 2014. "The Determinants of Economic Growth in European Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(1), pages 44-67, January.
- Jesus Crespo-Cuaresma & Gernot Doppelhofer & Martin Feldkircher, 2009. "The Determinants of Economic Growth in European Regions," wiiw Working Papers 57, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Jesús Crespo-Cuaresma & Gernot Doppelhofer & Martin Feldkircher, 2009. "The Determinants of Economic Growth in European Regions," CESifo Working Paper Series 2519, CESifo Group Munich.
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Paul M. Romer, 1990.
"Economic Integration and Endogenous Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Paci & F. Pigliaru, 2001. "Technological Diffusion, Spatial Spillovers And Regional Convergence In Europe," Working Paper CRENoS 200101, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Narula, Rajneesh & Wakelin, Katharine, 1998.
"Technological competitiveness, trade and foreign direct investment,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 373-387, September.
- Narula ,Rajneesh & Wakelin ,Katharine, 1995. "Technological competitiveness, trade and foreign direct investment," Research Memorandum 013, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Bronzini, Raffaello & Piselli, Paolo, 2009. "Determinants of long-run regional productivity with geographical spillovers: The role of R&D, human capital and public infrastructure," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 187-199, March.
- Mari Carmen Puigcerver-Penalver, 2007. "The Impact of Structural Funds Policy on European Regions' Growth : A Theoretical and Empirical Approach," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 4(2), pages 179-208, September.
- Ricardo, David, 1821. "On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, edition 3, number ricardo1821.
- Noorbakhsh, Farhad & Paloni, Alberto & Youssef, Ali, 2001. "Human Capital and FDI Inflows to Developing Countries: New Empirical Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1593-1610, September.
- Rivera-Batiz, Luis A. & Xie, Danyang, 1993. "Integration among unequals," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 337-354, July.
- Polasek, Wolfgang & Sellner, Richard, 2010. "Spatial Chow-Lin Methods for Data Completion in Econometric Flow Models," Economics Series 255, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Hirte, Georg & Brunow, Stephan, 2008. "The age pattern of human capital and regional productivity," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 01/08, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Petrakos, George & Dimitris, Kallioras & Ageliki, Anagnostou, 2007. "A Generalized Model of Regional Economic Growth in the European Union," Papers DYNREG12, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Ting Gao, 2004. "FDI, openness and income," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 305-323.
- Root, Franklin R & Ahmed, Ahmed A, 1979. "Empirical Determinants of Manufacturing Direct Foreign Investment in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 751-67, July.
- Manfred M. Fischer & Attila Varga, 2003. "Spatial knowledge spillovers and university research: Evidence from Austria," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 303-322, 05.
- Axel Dreher, 2005.
"Does Globalization Affect Growth? Evidence from a new Index of Globalization,"
TWI Research Paper Series
6, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universität Konstanz.
- Axel Dreher, 2006. "Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index of globalization," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1091-1110.
- Zwinkels, Remco C.J. & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2010. "Gravity equations: Workhorse or Trojan horse in explaining trade and FDI patterns across time and space?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 102-115, February.
- Wolfang Polasek & Carlos Llano & Richard Sellner, 2010. "Bayesian Methods for Completing Data in Spatial Models," Review of Economic Analysis, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 2(2), pages 194-214, June.
- Marcela González Rivas, 2007. "The effects of trade openness on regional inequality in Mexico," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 545-561, September.
- Geweke, J, 1993. "Bayesian Treatment of the Independent Student- t Linear Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S19-40, Suppl. De.
- Manfred Fischer & Peter Stumpner, 2008. "Income distribution dynamics and cross-region convergence in Europe," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 109-139, June.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998. "A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zuzana Machova).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.