The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Employment
AbstractIn this paper the authors assess the impact of structural funds on the per capita GDP and employment convergence process of 145 European regions over 1989–1999. This paper goes beyond the recent contributions on European regional policies and convergence since each of the five objectives of regional support is studied and spatial effects are included in the analysis. For this purpose the authors use spatial econometrics to include the relevant spatial effects in the estimation of the appropriate conditional ß-convergence model. The impact of the funds and their spatial lag indicate few significant results, and when they are, their extent is very small or even negative. This raises some doubts on the efficiency of regional support and call for a deep reform for the next programming period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences in its journal Finance a uver - Czech Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 57 (2007)
Issue (Month): 7-8 (September)
European structural funds; ß-convergence; growth; employment; spatial econometrics; geographic spillovers;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Puga, Diego, 2001.
"European Regional Policies in Light of Recent Location Theories,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Diego Puga, 2002. "European regional policies in light of recent location theories," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 373-406, October.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1994.
"Industrial Location and Public Infrastructure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
909, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991.
"Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Barro, R.J., 1988. "Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth," RCER Working Papers 130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth," Scholarly Articles 3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Durlauf,S.N. & Quah,D.T., 1998.
"The new empirics of economic growth,"
3, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Danny T. Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 6422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S Durlauf & Danny Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," CEP Discussion Papers dp0384, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Danny T. Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," Working Papers 98-01-012, Santa Fe Institute.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Aadne Cappelen & Fulvio Castellacci & Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2003.
"The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Convergence in the European Union,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41, pages 621-644, 09.
- Cappelen, A. & Castellacci, F. & Fagerberg, J. & Verspagen, B, 2003. "The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Convergence in the European Union," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18029, Maastricht University.
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
- Karen Helene Midelfart-Knarvik & Henry G. Overman, 2002. "Delocation and European integration: is structural spending justified?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 321-359, October.
- Philippe Martin, 2000. "The Role of Public Policy in the Process of Regional Convergence," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/9328, Sciences Po.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Katja Novak, 2011.
"Learning processes and economic returns in European Cohesion policy,"
2011-17, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Novak, Katja, 2013. "Learning processes and economic returns in European Cohesion policy," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 25, pages 1-20.
- Polasek, Wolfgang & Sellner, Richard, 2011.
"Does Globalization Affect Regional Growth? Evidence for NUTS-2 Regions in EU-27,"
266, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Wolfgang Polasek & Richard Sellner, 2011. "Does Globalization affect Regional Growth? Evidence for NUTS-2 Regions in EU-27," Working Paper Series 24_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Richard Sellner & Wolfgang Polasek, 2011. "Does Globalization a ffect Regional Growth? Evidence for NUTS-2 Regions in EU-27," ERSA conference papers ersa11p819, European Regional Science Association.
- Ondrej Schneider, 2006.
"The EU Budget Dispute - A Blessing in Disguise?,"
Research and Policy Notes
2006/01, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Ondrej Schneider, 2007. "The EU Budget Dispute – A Blessing in Disguise?," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(7-8), pages 304-323, September.
- Ondrej Schneider, 2007. "The EU Budget Dispute – A Blessing in Disguise?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1986, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ondřej Schneider, 2007. "The EU Budget Dispute - A Blessing in Disguise?," Working Papers IES 2007/14, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Apr 2007.
- Sandy DALL’ERBA & Rachel GUILLAIN & Julie LE GALLO, 2009. "Impact Of Structural Funds On Regional Growth: How To Reconsider A 9 Year-Old Black Box," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 30, pages 77-100.
- Mohl, P. & Hagen, T., 2010. "Do EU structural funds promote regional growth? New evidence from various panel data approaches," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 353-365, September.
- Sandy Dall'erba & Eveline Van Leeuwen, 2006. "Does Agricultural Employment Benefit From Eu Support?," ERSA conference papers ersa06p96, European Regional Science Association.
- Elisa Montresor & Francesco Pecci & Nicola Pontarollo, 2010. "The evaluation of european structural funds on economic convergence with the application of spatial filtering technique," Working Papers 07/2010, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Montresor, Elisa & Pecci, Francesco & Pontarollo, Nicola, 2011. "The convergence process of the European regions: the role of Regional Policy and the Common Agricultural Policy," Studies in Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, vol. 113(2), October.
- Tausch, Arno, 2009.
"Ist die Globalisierung fit für das soziale Europa?
[Is Globalization fit for Social Europe?]," MPRA Paper 14264, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tausch, Arno, 2008. "308 Billion Euros into the Sand? The Debacle of the EU's Regional Policy [308 Milliarden Euro in den Sand? Zum Debakel der EU-Regionalpolitik]," MPRA Paper 10609, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohl, Philipp & Hagen, Tobias, 2011. "Do EU structural funds promote regional employment? Evidence from dynamic panel data models," Working Paper Series 1403, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.