Contagion, Monsoons, and Domestic Turmoil in Indonesia's Currency Crisis
AbstractThe paper investigates whether Indonesia's recent currency crisis was due to domestic fundamentals, common external shocks ("monsoons"), or contagion from neighboring countries. Markov switching models attribute speculative pressure on Indonesia's currency to domestic political and financial factors and contagion from speculative pressures in Thailand and Korea. In particular, the results from a time-varying transition probability Markov switching model (which overcomes some drawbacks of previous methods) show that inclusion of exchange rate pressures from Thailand and Korea in the transition probabilities improves the conditional probabilities of crisis in Indonesia. The paper also finds evidence of contagion in the stock market. Copyright 2002 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas J. Flavin and Ekaterini Panopoulou, 2007.
"Detecting Shift and Pure Contagion in East Asian Equity Markets: A Unified Approach,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- ThomasJ. Flavin & Ekaterini Panopoulou, 2010. "Detecting Shift And Pure Contagion In East Asian Equity Markets: A Unified Approach," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 401-421, 08.
- Thomas J. flavin & Ekaterini Panopoulou, 2008. "Detecting shift and pure contagion in East Asian equity markets: A Unified Approach," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1890208.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Alex Mandilaras & Graham Bird, 2007.
"Foreign exchange markets in south-east Asia 1990-2004: An empirical analysis of spillovers during crisis and non-crisis periods,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
40, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Mandilaras, Alex & Bird, Graham, 2007. "Foreign exchange markets in South-East Asia 1990-2004: An empirical analysis of spillovers during crisis and non-crisis periods," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 41-57, February.
- Ali M. Kutan & Brasukra G. Sudjana, 2004. "Worsening of the Asian Financial Crisis: Who is to Blame?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-658, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2003.
"Did Output Recover from the Asian Crisis?,"
IMF Working Papers
03/48, International Monetary Fund.
- Thomas J. Flavin & Ekaterini Panopoulou & Deren Unalmis, 2008.
"On the Stability of Domestic Financial Market Linkages in the Presence of time-varying Volatility,"
0810, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Flavin, Thomas J. & Panopoulou, Ekaterini & Unalmis, Deren, 2008. "On the stability of domestic financial market linkages in the presence of time-varying volatility," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 280-301, December.
- Thomas J. Flavin & Ekaterini Panopoulou & Deren Unalmis, 2008. "On the stability of domestic financial market linkages in the presence of time-varying volatility," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1981108.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Huang, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin-Wei, 2003. "An analysis of exchange rate linkage effect: an application of the multivariate correlation analysis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 337-351, April.
- Abdul Abiad, 2003. "Early Warning Systems: A Survey and a Regime-Switching Approach," IMF Working Papers 03/32, International Monetary Fund.
- J L Ford & Bagus Santoso & N J Horsewood, 2007. "Asian Currency Crises: Do Fundamentals still Matter? A Markov-Switching Approach to Causes and Timing," Discussion Papers 07-07, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Jesús Crespo Cuaresma & Tomás Slacík, 2007. "Predicting Currency Crises Using the Term Structure of Relative Interest Rates: Case Studies of the Czech Republic," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 135-149.
- Brana, Sophie & Lahet, Delphine, 2010. "Determinants of capital inflows into Asia: The relevance of contagion effects as push factors," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 273-284, September.
- Mandilaras, Alex & Bird, Graham, 2010. "A Markov switching analysis of contagion in the EMS," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1062-1075, October.
- Mardi Dungey & Renée Fry & Vance L. Martin, 2006. "Correlation, Contagion, and Asian Evidence," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 5(2), pages 32-72, June.
- Andre Cartapanis, 2004. "Le declenchement des crises de change : qu'avons-nous appris depuis dix ans ?," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 97, pages 5-48.
- Shiu-Sheng Chen, 2003.
"Revisiting the Interest Rate-Exchange Rate Nexus: A Markov Switching Approach,"
0303002, EconWPA, revised 13 Mar 2003.
- Chen, Shiu-Sheng, 2006. "Revisiting the interest rate-exchange rate nexus: a Markov-switching approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 208-224, February.
- Francis Y. Kumah, 2007. "A Markov-Switching Approach to Measuring Exchange Market Pressure," IMF Working Papers 07/242, International Monetary Fund.
- Tsutsui, Yoshiro & Hirayama, Kenjiro, 2005. "Estimation of the common and country-specific shock to stock prices," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 322-337, September.
- Mardi Dungey & George Milunovich & Susan Thorp, 2008. "Unobservable Shocks as Carriers of Contagion: A Dynamic Analysis Using Identified Structural GARCH," NCER Working Paper Series 22, National Centre for Econometric Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.