Commodity Spot Prices: An Exploratory Assessment of Market Structure and Forward-Trading Effects
AbstractWe assess how characteristics of product and forward markets affect levels and volatilities of commodity spot prices. We examine (i) how product market structure and forward market trading affect spot market games, (ii) the links between product market structure and spot price stability, (iii) whether forward trading destabilizes spot prices, and (iv) how information arrival affects price volatility and the volume of trade. We find that market structure models of the price level but not of price stability receive support, that increased forward trading leads to lower prices, and that the relationship between trading and price instability is indirect via a common causal factor. Copyright (c) The London School of Economics and Political Science 2006.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 73 (2006)
Issue (Month): 290 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jan J. J. Groen & Paolo A. Pesenti, 2009.
"Commodity prices, commodity currencies, and global economic developments,"
387, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jan J. J. Groen & Paolo A. Pesenti, 2011. "Commodity Prices, Commodity Currencies, and Global Economic Developments," NBER Chapters, in: Commodity Prices and Markets, East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 20, pages 15-42 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paolo A. Pesenti & Jan J.J. Groen, 2011. "Commodity prices, commodity currencies, and global economic developments," European Economy - Economic Papers 440, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Groen, Jan J. J. & Pesenti, Paolo, 2010. "Commodity prices, commodity currencies, and global economic developments," CEPR Discussion Papers 7689, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan J. J. Groen & Paolo A. Pesenti, 2010. "Commodity prices, commodity currencies, and global economic developments," NBER Working Papers 15743, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stuermer, Martin, 2013.
"150 Years of Boom and Bust: What Drives Mineral Commodity Prices?,"
51859, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Stürmer, 2013. "150 Years of Boom and Bust: What Drives Mineral Commodity Prices?," 2013 Papers pst529, Job Market Papers.
- Green, Richard & Le Coq, Chloé, 2010. "The length of contracts and collusion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 21-29, January.
- Pankaj Kumar GUPTA & Sunita RAVI, 2012. "Commodity Market Inefficiencies and Inflationary Pressures - India’s Economic Policy Dilemma," Risk in Contemporary Economy, "Dunarea de Jos" University of Galati, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, pages 31-34.
- Joris Pinkse & Margaret Slade & Lihong Shen, 2006. "Dynamic Spatial Discrete Choice Using One-step GMM: An Application to Mine Operating Decisions," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 53-99.
- Cinquegrana, Piero, 2008. "The Need for Transparency in Commodity and Commodity Derivatives Markets," ECMI Papers 1589, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Abhijit Sharma & Kelvin G Balcombe & Iain M Fraser, 2009.
"Non-renewable resource prices: Structural breaks and long term trends,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 805-819.
- Sharma, Abhijit & Balcombe, Kelvin & Fraser, Iain, 2009. "Non-renewable Resource Prices: Structural Breaks and Long Term Trends," MPRA Paper 16948, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Steinmetz, Alexander, 2010. "Price and inventory dynamics in an oligopoly industry: A framework for commodity markets," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 82, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.