Foreign Investment, Divestment and Relocation by Japanese Electronics Firms in East Asia
AbstractAlthough foreign divestment and international relocation by multinational firms carry important economic implications for the industrialization of East Asian countries, there has been little empirical research on these issues. In this paper we analyze the magnitude and pattern of foreign divestment and relocation by Japanese electronics firms in nine East Asian countries during 1995-2003. The average annual divestment rate of electronics manufacturing affiliates is 3 percent, but divestment patterns diverge strongly across countries. Divestments are much more frequent in higher labor cost countries and in approximately one-third of cases are accompanied by relocations to lower wage countries, particularly to China. Evidence is found for rivalry between China and ASEAN countries in attracting foreign direct investment, but the growing attractiveness of China has not been accompanied by a reduction in employment in Japanese affiliates in ASEAN countries (with the exception of Singapore). Divestments and relocations are related to Japanese firms' strategy to reconfigure their Asian production networks in response to changing competitiveness, regional integration, and changes in local investment environments. Copyright 2006 East Asian Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by East Asian Economic Association in its journal Asian Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 20 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1351-3958
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Belderbos, Rene & Zou, Jianglei, 2006. "Foreign investment, divestment and relocation by Japanese electronics firms in East Asia," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/120517, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rünno Lumiste, 2006. "Migration of Electronics Production. Optimisation of Technology or Labour Costs?," Working Papers 148, Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology.
- Yohanes Kadarusman, 2012. "Knowledge Acquisition: Lessons from Local and Global Interaction in the Indonesian Consumer Electronics Sector," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 4(2), pages 65-100, July.
- Ren� Belderbos & Jianglei Zou, 2007.
"On the growth of foreign affiliates: multinational plant networks, joint ventures, and flexibility,"
Journal of International Business Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(7), pages 1095-1112, December.
- Belderbos, Rene & Zou, J, 2007. "On the growth of foreign affiliates: Multinational plant networks, joint ventures, and flexibility," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/120601, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Tomassen, Sverre & Benito, Gabriel R.G., 2009. "The costs of governance in international companies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 292-304, June.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Obashi, Ayako, 2011.
"Production Networks in East Asia: What We Know So Far,"
ADBI Working Papers
320, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Fukunari Kimura & Ayako Obashi, 2011. "Production Networks in East Asia : What We Know So Far," Microeconomics Working Papers 23216, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Fukunari Kimura & Ayako Obashi, 2011. "Production Networks in East Asia : What We Know So Far," Trade Working Papers 23216, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Tony Tong & Jing Li, 2008. "Real options and MNE strategies in Asia Pacific," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 153-169, January.
- Jesús F. Lampón & Pablo Cabanelas-Lorenzo & Santiago Lago-Peñas, 2013. "Why firms relocate their production overseas? The answer lies inside: corporate, logistic and technological determinants," Working Papers 2013/3, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.