Closure and Divestiture By Foreign Entrants: The Impact of Entry and Post-Entry Strategies
AbstractWe analyze the longevity of foreign entrants explicitly considering two possible ways of exit: firm closure and capital divestiture. We find that entry and post-entry strategies affect the longevity of firms and of foreign equity holdings, but in different manners. While the ownership arrangements and organizational structure affect the likelihood of divestment, they exert no significant effect upon closure. The entry mode exerts opposite effects on the two modes of exit, greenfield entrants being more likely to shutdown, but less likely to be divested. Only human capital affects closure and divestment in the same manner. Firms with large endowments of human capital are less likely to exit, irrespective of the exit mode considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department in its series Working Papers with number w199906.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cabral, Luis, 1995. "Sunk Costs, Firm Size and Firm Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 161-72, June.
- Kogut, Bruce, 1989. "The Stability of Joint Ventures: Reciprocity and Competitive Rivalry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 183-98, December.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1987.
"Inter-industry studies of structure and performance,"
1874-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1989. "Inter-industry studies of structure and performance," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 951-1009 Elsevier.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro, 1994. "Life Duration of New Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 227-45, September.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Jean-François Hennart, 1991.
"The Transaction Costs Theory of Joint Ventures: An Empirical Study of Japanese Subsidiaries in the United States,"
INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 483-497, April.
- Hennart, J.-F.M.A., 1991. "The transaction costs theory of joint ventures : an empirical study of Japanese subsidiaries in the United States," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-175820, Tilburg University.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Gatignon, Hubert & Anderson, Erin, 1988. "The Multinational Corporation's Degree of Control over Foreign Subsidiaries: An Empirical Test of a Transaction Cost Explanation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 305-36, Fall.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988.
"The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989. "The Growth and Failure of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-98, November.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro & Guimaraes, Paulo, 1995.
"The survival of new plants: Start-up conditions and post-entry evolution,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 459-481, December.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Mata, José & Portugal, Pedro, 1995. "The Survival of New Plants: Start-up Conditions and Post-entry Evolution," CEPR Discussion Papers 1203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C Patrick Woodcook & Paul W Beamish & Shige Makino, 1994. "Ownership-Based Entry mode Strategies and International Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 253-273, June.
- Michel Ghertman, 1988. "Foreign Subsidiary and Parents' Roles During Strategic Investment and Divestment Decisions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 47-67, March.
- Nemeth, Alexander & Nippa, Michael, 2011. "Revisiting research on IJV exit: More questions than answers," Freiberg Working Papers 2011,03, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- René Belderbos, 2003. "Antidumping and foreign divestment: Japanese electronics multinationals in the EU," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 139(1), pages 131-160, March.
- Pablo Martin, 2006. "The antecedents and consequences of emerging market divestitures," Working Papers Economia wp06-05, Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment.
- Carlos M. Fernández-Otheo & Rafael Myro, .
"Is the foreign capital leaving industrialized countries? The case of Spain,"
Working Papers on International Economics and Finance
- Carlos M. Fernández-Otheo & Rafael Myro, 2004. "Is the foreign capital leaving industrialized countries? The case of Spain," Working Papers 04-03, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Nemeth, Alexander, 2012. "A framework of international joint ventures exit: A resource dependence and learning perspective," Freiberg Working Papers 2012,02, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Antonios Georgopoulos & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Vasilios Sogiakas, 2013. "Survival Characteristics and Adjustment of MNE Affiliates in the European Integrated Market," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 225, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Rünno Lumiste, 2006. "Migration of Electronics Production. Optimisation of Technology or Labour Costs?," Working Papers 148, Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology.
- Silviano Esteve-Pérez & Amparo Sanchis-Llopis & Juan Sanchis-Llopis, 2010. "A competing risks analysis of firms’ exit," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 281-304, April.
- Steven Globerman & Daniel Shapiro, 2009. "Economic and strategic considerations surrounding Chinese FDI in the United States," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 163-183, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.