Divestment of foreign production operations
AbstractThis study investigates some determinants fo the divestment of foreign manufacturing operations by Norwegian companies. To date, very few studies have taken a closer look at what might influence whether foreign subsidiaries are divested or not. Although foreign direct investment - in principle - represent long-term commitments to foreign manufacturing operations, divestments are in fact quite common. This study shows that more than half of a sample of foreig subsidiaries woned by Norwegian companies in 1982 wee divested within a period of ten years. The empirical findings indicate that foreign divestment is inversely related to economic growth in the host country, and that the propensity to divest is significantly higher for subsidiaries that had been acquired than for greenfield establishments. Also, related (horizontal) subsidiaries are less likely to be divested than unrelated (non-horizontal)subsidiaries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (1997)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1982.
"The Location of Overseas Production and Production for Export by U.S. Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
0482, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kravis, Irving B. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1982. "The location of overseas production and production for export by U.S. multinational firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 201-223, May.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1990.
" Do Managerial Objectives Drive Bad Acquisitions?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 31-48, March.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1991. "Locational Determinants and Ranking of Host Countries: An Empirical Assessment," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 363-82.
- Pennings, J.M. & Barkema , H. & Douma, S., 1994. "Organizational learning and diversification," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-382776, Tilburg University.
- Gabriel R G Benito & Geir Gripsrud, 1992. "The Expansion of Foreign Direct Investments: Discrete Rational Location Choices or a Cultural Learning Process?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(3), pages 461-476, September.
- Belderbos, Rene & Zou, J, 2007.
"On the growth of foreign affiliates: Multinational plant networks, joint ventures, and flexibility,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/120601, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Ren� Belderbos & Jianglei Zou, 2007. "On the growth of foreign affiliates: multinational plant networks, joint ventures, and flexibility," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(7), pages 1095-1112, December.
- Tomassen, Sverre & Benito, Gabriel R.G., 2009. "The costs of governance in international companies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 292-304, June.
- Belderbos, Rene & Zou, Jianglei, 2006.
"Divestment of foreign manufacturing affiliates: country platforms, multinational plant networks, and foreign investor agglomeration,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/121186, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Belderbos, Rene & Zou, Jianglei, 2005. "Divestment of foreign manufacturing affiliates: Country platforms, multinational plant networks, and foreign investor agglomeration," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/121533, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Narula, Rajneesh & Duysters, Geert, 2004.
"Globalisation and trends in international R&D alliances,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13047, Maastricht University.
- Narula, Rajneesh & Duysters, Geert, 2004. "Globalisation and trends in international R&D alliances," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 199-218.
- Narula,Rajneesh, 2003. "Globalisation and trends in international R&D alliances," Research Memoranda 001, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- Casillas, José C. & Moreno, Ana M. & Acedo, Francisco J., 2012. "Path dependence view of export behaviour: A relationship between static patterns and dynamic configurations," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 465-479.
- De Voldere, I & Sleuwaegen, Leo & Van Pelt, An & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2003. "Corporate structure of leading firms in Europe: does country of origin still matter?," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/118268, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Aharoni, Yair & Tihanyi, Laszlo & Connelly, Brian L., 2011. "Managerial decision-making in international business: A forty-five-year retrospective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 135-142, April.
- Moniz, António & Gomes, Cláudia, 2002.
"Impactos sociais do desinvestimento
[Social Impacts of divestment]," MPRA Paper 5882, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2002.
- Chung, Chris Changwha & Lee, Seung-Hyun & Beamish, Paul W. & Southam, Colette & Nam, Daeil (Dale), 2013. "Pitting real options theory against risk diversification theory: International diversification and joint ownership control in economic crisis," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 122-136.
- Jan Hendrik, Fisch, 2011. "Real call options to enlarge foreign subsidiaries - The moderating effect of irreversibility on the influence of economic volatility and political instability on subsequent FDI," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 517-526, October.
- Matthyssens,Paul & Pauwels,Pieter, 2002. "The Dynamics of International Market Withdrawal," Research Memoranda 048, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Swoboda, Bernhard & Olejnik, Edith & Morschett, Dirk, 2011. "Changes in foreign operation modes: Stimuli for increases versus reductions," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 578-590, October.
- Ele Reiljan, 2006. "The role of entrepreneurial actions in the de-internationalization of Estonian enterprises: entrepreneurs’ perceptions," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, in: Entrepreneurship in Estonia: policies, practices, education and research, volume 28, chapter 7, pages 139-153 Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Moniz, António & Gomes, Cláudia, 2003.
"Impacto do desinvestimento no mercado local de emprego: o caso de uma unidade da indústria metalomecânica
[Impact of divestment on the local employment market: a case of the metal industry]," MPRA Paper 6862, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2003.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.