Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries: A Selective Survey
AbstractThis paper surveys the latest developments in the literature on the impact of inward foreign direct investment (FDI) on growth in developing countries. In general, FDI is thought of as a composite bundle of capital stocks, know-how, and technology, and hence its impact on growth is expected to be manifold and vary a great deal between technologically advanced and developing countries. The ultimate impact of FDI on output growth in the recipient economy depends on the scope for efficiency spillovers to domestic firms, by which FDI leads to increasing returns in domestic production, and increases in the value-added content of FDI-related production.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Kent in its series Studies in Economics with number 9701.
Date of creation: Mar 1997
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Development Studies, 1997, 34, pp.1-34
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Kent at Canterbury, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NP
Phone: +44 (0)1227 764000
Fax: +44 (0)1227 827850
Web page: http://www.ukc.ac.uk/economics/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gall, Thomas & Schiffbauer, Marc & Kubny, Julia, 2010.
"Dynamic Effects of Foreign Direct Investment When Credit Markets are Imperfect,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010
5, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Thomas Gall & Marc Schiffbauer & Julia Kubny, 2009. "Dynamic Effects of Foreign Direct Investment When Credit Markets are Imperfect," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-188, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Omri, Anis, 2013. "CO2 emissions, energy consumption and economic growth nexus in MENA countries: Evidence from simultaneous equations models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 657-664.
- Sebastian Florian Enea & Silvia Palaºcã, 2012. "Globalization Versus Segregation - Business Cycles Synchronization In Europe," CES Working Papers, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 4, pages 668-692, December.
- Jellal, Mohamed, 2014.
"Diaspora transferts et volatilité économique
[Diaspora transfers and economic volatility]," MPRA Paper 57288, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Akpan, Uduak & Isihak, Salisu & Asongu, Simplice, 2014.
"Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Fast-Growing Economies: A Study of BRICS and MINT,"
56810, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Akpan Uduak & Isihak Salisu & Asongu Simplice, 2014. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Fast-Growing Economies: A Study of BRICS and MINT," Working Papers 14/002, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Angelo Antoci & Paolo Russu & Elisa Ticci, 2011.
"Investement inflows and sustainable development in a natural resource-dependent economy,"
Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID) University of Siena
0311, Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID), University of Siena.
- Angelo Antoci & Paolo Russu & Elisa Ticci, 2013. "Investment inflows and sustainable development in a natural resource-dependent economy," Department of Economics University of Siena 670, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Bilgili, Faik & Tülüce, Nadide Sevil Halıcı & Doğan, İbrahim, 2012. "The determinants of FDI in Turkey: A Markov Regime-Switching approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1161-1169.
- Lucyna Kornecki & Vedapuri Raghavan, 2011. "Inward FDI Stock and Growth in Central and Eastern Europe," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 1, pages 19-30, February.
- T.K. Jayaraman & Baljeet Singh, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment Creation in Pacific Island Countries: An Empirical Study of Fiji," Working Papers 3507, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Marwah, Kanta & Tavakoli, Akbar, 2004. "The effect of foreign capital and imports on economic growth: further evidence from four Asian countries (1970-1998)," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 399-413, April.
- Bera, Soumitra Kumar, 2010. "Financial crisis: The incrediable hulk in Indian economic growth and external sector," MPRA Paper 27750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Sharma, K.L. & Singh, Rup & Lata, Nalini, 2007. "A Survey of Growth and Development Issues of the Pacific Islands," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Mavrotas, George, 2005. "Financial Sector Development and Productivity Growth," Working Paper Series RP2005/68, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kanta Marwah & Akbar Tavakoli, 2004. "The Effect of Foreign Capital and Imports on Economic Growth: Further Evidence from Four Asian Countries," Carleton Economic Papers 04-02, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Pisit, Puapan, 2014. "Assessment of FDI impact on Thailand's production sectors : implications for investment promotion activities," IDE Discussion Papers 443, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emma Robinson).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.