Some Tests Of The Economic Theory Of Cooperatives: Methodology And Application To Cotton Ginning
AbstractLittle progress has been made in testing the often conflicting hypotheses generated from theoretical research on cooperatives. This paper addresses the deficiency by describing and applying (to California cotton ginning cooperatives) a methodology to test key hypotheses concerning (a) cooperativesÂ’ price-output equilibrium, (b) allocative efficiency, and (c) utilization of capital inputs. The empirical results (a) are consistent with predictions from the game theory model of cooperative behavior, (b) reject the null hypothesis of absolute allocative efficiency, and (c) indicate absolute overutilization of capital inputs among the sample cooperatives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Western Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1989)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Agribusiness; Crop Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krinsky, Itzhak & Robb, A Leslie, 1986. "On Approximating the Statistical Properties of Elasticities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 715-19, November.
- Oberhofer, W & Kmenta, J, 1974. "A General Procedure for Obtaining Maximum Likelihood Estimates in Generalized Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 579-90, May.
- Michael Caputo & Quirino Paris, 2005.
"An Atemporal Microeconomic Theory and an Empirical Test of Price-Induced Technical Progress,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 259-281, November.
- Caputo, Michael R. & Paris, Quirino, 2004. "An Atemporal Microeconomic Theory And An Empirical Test Of Price-Induced Technical Progress," Working Papers 11992, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan & Dimitri, Carolyn, 2007. "AJAE Appendix: Agricultural Contracts: Data and Research Needs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(5), December.
- Senhaji, Arvid, 2008. "Duality theorems summarising some unambiguous qualitative comparative static results for processing cooperatives - The restricted profit function applied," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44374, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hueth, Brent & Taylor, Christopher W., 2013. "Spatial Competition in Agricultural Markets: A Discrete-Choice Approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150506, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lerman, Zvi & Parliament, Claudia, 1990. "Comparative Performance Of Food-Processing Cooperatives And Investor-Owned Firms," Staff Papers 13455, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Chaddad, Fabio Ribas, 2006. "Investment Constraints in Agricultural Cooperatives: Theory, Evidence and Solutions," 44th Congress, July 23-27, 2006, Fortaleza, CearÃ¡, Brazil 143259, Sociedade Brasileira de Economia, Administracao e Sociologia Rural (SOBER).
- Hailu, Getu & Jeffrey, Scott R. & Goddard, Ellen W., 2004. "Impact Of Decision Makers Divergence In Risk Attitudes And Perceptions On Co-Operative Management In Canada," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20246, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Steven Buccola, 2000. "Material And Value-Adding Inputs In Manufacturing Enterprises," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 231-247, May.
- Zvi Lerman & Claudia Parliament, 1990. "Comparative performance of cooperatives and investor-owned firms in US food industries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(6), pages 527-540.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.