Comparative performance of cooperatives and investor-owned firms in US food industries
AbstractThe comparative financial performance of cooperatives and investor-owned firms (IOFs) in the fruit and vegetable processing and the dairy industries was analyzed for the years 1976 through 1987. Contrary to theoretical expectations, the cooperatives in both industries were found to perform as well as or better than the comparable IOFs by profitability, leverage, and interest coverage measures. No clear evidence was found of the hypothesized overinvestment in fixed assets or pronounced moral hazard behavior in cooperatives. The lack of significant differences in profitability between the two types of firms suggests that cooperatives may be following goals similar to IOFs.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 6 (1990)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Staatz, John M., 1989. "Farmer Cooperative Theory: Recent Developments," Research Reports 52017, United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs.
- Kwo-Shin Chen & Emerson M. Babb & Lee F. Schrader, 1985. "Growth of large cooperative and proprietary firms in the US food sector," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 201-210.
- Sexton, Richard J. & Wilson, Brooks M. & Wann, Joyce J., 1989. "Some Tests Of The Economic Theory Of Cooperatives: Methodology And Application To Cotton Ginning," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
- Chaddad, Fabio Ribas, 2006. "Investment Constraints in Agricultural Cooperatives: Theory, Evidence and Solutions," 44th Congress, July 23-27, 2006, Fortaleza, CearÃ¡, Brazil 143259, Sociedade Brasileira de Economia, Administracao e Sociologia Rural (SOBER).
- Declerck, Francis & Viviani, Jean-Laurent, 2012.
""Solvency and Performance of French Wineries in Times of Declining Sales: Co-operatives and Corporations”,"
International Journal on Food System Dynamics,
International Center for Management, Communication, and Research, vol. 3(2).
- Declerck, Francis & Viviani, Jean-Laurent, 2010. "Solvency and Performance of French Wineries in Times of Declining Sales: Co‐operatives and Corporations," 2010 Internatonal European Forum, February 8-12, 2010, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 100507, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Kyriakos Kyriakopoulos & Matthew Meulenberg & Jerker Nilsson, 2004. "The impact of cooperative structure and firm culture on market orientation and performance," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 379-396.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.