An Atemporal Microeconomic Theory And An Empirical Test Of Price-Induced Technical Progress
AbstractAn exhaustive comparative statics analysis of a general price taking cost-minimizing model of the firm operating under the influence of price-induced technical progress is carried out from a dual vista. The resulting refutable implications are observable and thus amenable to empirical verification, and take on the form of a symmetric and negative semidefinite matrix. Using data from individual cotton gins in Californias San Joaquin Valley, we empirically test the complete set of implications of the price-induced technical progress theory using both classical and Bayesian statistical procedures. We find that the data are fully consistent with the atemporal, costminimizing, price-induced microeconomic theory of technical progress.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics in its series Working Papers with number 11992.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies;
Other versions of this item:
- Michael Caputo & Quirino Paris, 2005. "An Atemporal Microeconomic Theory and an Empirical Test of Price-Induced Technical Progress," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 259-281, November.
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sexton, Richard J. & Wilson, Brooks M. & Wann, Joyce J., 1989. "Some Tests Of The Economic Theory Of Cooperatives: Methodology And Application To Cotton Ginning," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
- Quirino Paris & Michael R. Caputo, 2001. "Price-induced technical progress and comparative statics," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(8), pages 1-8.
- Paris, Quirino & Caputo, Michael R., 1995. "The Rhetoric Of Duality," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1993.
"Prices and Productivity in Agriculture,"
Staff General Research Papers
773, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1992. "Prices and Productivity in Agriculture," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 93-gatt2, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1992. "Prices and Productivity in Agriculture," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 93-gatt2, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1992. "Prices and Productivity in Agriculture," Staff General Research Papers 543, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Silberberg, Eugene, 1974. "A revision of comparative statics methodology in economics, or, how to do comparative statics on the back of an envelope," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 159-172, February.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Paris, Quirino & Caputo, Michael R., 2001. "Comparative Statics Of Money-Goods Specifications Of The Utility Function," Working Papers 11953, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- A Oude Lansink & E Silva & S Stefanou, 2000. "Decomposing productivity growth allowing efficiency gains and price-induced technical progress," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(4), pages 497-518, December.
- Geweke, John, 1986. "Exact Inference in the Inequality Constrained Normal Linear Regression Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 127-41, April.
- Adam Jaffe & Richard Newell & Robert Stavins, 2002. "Environmental Policy and Technological Change," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 41-70, June.
- Samuelson, Paul A & Sato, Ryuzo, 1984. "Unattainability of Integrability and Definiteness Conditions in the General Case of Demand for Money and Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 588-604, September.
- Quirino Paris, 2008. "Price-induced technical progress in 80 years of US agriculture," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 29-51, August.
- Roberto Esposti & Pierpaolo Pierani, 2008.
"Price-induced technical progress in Italian agriculture,"
Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement,
INRA Department of Economics, vol. 89(4), pages 5-28.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Pierpaolo PIERANI, 2006. "Price-Induced Technical Progress in Italian Agriculture," Working Papers 275, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Caputo, Michael R. & Paris, Quirino, 2013. "An intertemporal microeconomic theory of disembodied and price-induced technical progress," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 631-640.
- Kumar, Surender & Managi, Shunsuke, 2009. "Energy price-induced and exogenous technological change: Assessing the economic and environmental outcomes," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 334-353, November.
- Esposti, Roberto & Pierani, Pierpaolo, 2005. "Price-Induced Technological Change in Italian Agriculture: An SGM Restricted Cost Function Approach (1951-91)," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24662, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Meszaros, Sandor, 2008. "Theory testing (hypothesis testing) in agricultural economics," Studies in Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, issue 107, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.