The Effect Of Personal And Farm Characteristics Upon Grain Marketing Practices
AbstractA survey of Kansas, Texas, and Iowa agricultural producers was taken to examine the factors affecting their grain marketing practices. Sales indices models and models of qualitative choice are used to determine whether marketers' choices of cash market, forward contract, or futures and options oriented marketing practices are significantly affected by their personal farm business characteristics. Results indicate that geographic location, farm size, grain enterprise specialization, farming experience, use of grain storage, and use of crop insurance have significant effects upon the respondents' choice of grain marketing practices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2000)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
agricultural options; cash marketing; futures; grain marketing practices; multinomial logit; Tobit; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Skaggs, Rhonda K. & Kirksey, R.E. & Harper, Wilmer M., 1994. "Determinants And Implication Of Post-Crp Land Use Decisions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Saupe, W., 1987. "Determinants of Health Insurance Coverage for Family Farm Households: A Midwestern Study," Staff General Research Papers 11237, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Harris, Thomas R. & Kvasnicka, William G. & Veserat, Gary M., 1997. "Factors Influencing Rates Of Adoption Of Trichomoniasis Vaccine By Nevada Range Cattle Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- H. Holly Wang & Yanping Zhang & Laping Wu, 2011. "Is contract farming a risk management instrument for Chinese farmers?: Evidence from a survey of vegetable farmers in Shandong," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 489-505, November.
- Anastassiadis, Friederieke & Feil, Jan-Henning & Musshoff, Oliver & Schilling, Philipp, 2013. "Analysing farmers' use of price hedging instruments: an experimental approach," DARE Discussion Papers 1306, Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE).
- Lai, Jing-Yi & Myers, Robert J. & Hanson, Steven D., 2001. "Optimal Post-Harvest Grains Storage By Risk Averse Farmers," Staff Papers 11739, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Jordaan, Henry & Grove, Bennie, 2007. "Factors Affecting Maize Producers Adoption of Forward Pricing in Price Risk Management: The Case of Vaalharts," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 46(4), December.
- Jordaan, Henry & Grove, Bennie, 2008. "Factors affecting the use of forward pricing methods in price risk management with special reference to the influence of risk aversion," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 47(1), March.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Pennings, Joost M.E. & Garcia, Philip, 2012. "Measuring Risk Attitude and Relation to Marketing Behavior," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124471, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ueckermann, E.M. & Blignaut, J.N. & Gupta, Rangan & Raubenheimer, J., 2008. "Modelling South African grain farmersâ€™ preferences to adopt derivative contracts using discrete choice models," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 47(2), June.
- Williams, John & Malcolm, Bill, 2012. "Farmer decisions about selling wheat and managing wheat price risk in Australia," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 20.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.