Strategic Incentives in Biosecurity Actions: Theoretical and Empirical Analyses
AbstractWe model a game between two players taking biosecurity actions and characterize the Nash equilibria and their properties for the cases of strategic complements and substitutes. Implications of the theoretical model are investigated using data for biosecurity behavior among producers participating in a livestock exhibition. Biosecurity actions with own benefits and lasting impacts in home communities exhibit a positive relationship with behavior of the producers from geographically close areas. The number and probabilities of biosecurity actions taken by exhibitors are positively associated with the number of animals exhibited and they vary among commercial and hobby producers and across species/types of commercial production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
California; livestock disease; livestock exhibition; strategic complements; strategic substitutes; Agribusiness;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bicknell, Kathryn & Wilen, James E. & Howitt, Richard E., 1999. "Public policy and private incentives for livestock disease control," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 43(4), December.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F. & Reiss, Peter C., 1991. "Empirical models of discrete games," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1-2), pages 57-81.
- Burnett, Kimberly M., 2006. "Introductions of Invasive Species: Failure of the Weaker Link," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
- Michele Graziano Ceddia & Jaakko Heikkilä & Jukka Peltola, 2008. "Biosecurity in agriculture: an economic analysis of coexistence of professional and hobby production ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 52(4), pages 453-470, December.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:17:y:2008:i:10:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrew Muhammad & Keithly Jones, 2008. "The impact of federal indemnification on livestock biosecurity," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 17(10), pages 1-9.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521635677 is not listed on IDEAS
- James E. Wilen, 2007. "Economics of Spatial-Dynamic Processes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1134-1144.
- Charles Manski, 2010.
"Identification of treatment response with social interactions,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP01/10, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Charles F. Manski, 2013. "Identification of treatment response with social interactions," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 16(1), pages S1-S23, 02.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521632010 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gramig, Benjamin M. & Horan, Richard D. & Wolf, Christopher A., 2008.
"Livestock Disease Indemnity Design When Moral Hazard is Followed by Adverse Selection,"
2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida
6542, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Benjamin M. Gramig & Richard D. Horan & Christopher A. Wolf, 2008. "Livestock Disease Indemnity Design When Moral Hazard Is Followed by Adverse Selection," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 627-641.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Benjamin M. Gramig & Christopher A. Wolf, 2007. "Estimating Within-Herd Preventive Spillovers in Livestock Disease Management," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1219-1225.
- Patrick Bajari & Han Hong & Stephen P. Ryan, 2010. "Identification and Estimation of a Discrete Game of Complete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(5), pages 1529-1568, 09.
- Benjamin M. Gramig & Richard D. Horan, 2011.
"Jointly determined livestock disease dynamics and decentralised economic behaviour,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 55(3), pages 393-410, 07.
- Gramig, Benjamin M. & Horan, Richard D., 2009. "Jointly-Determined Livestock Disease Dynamics and Decentralized Economic Behavior," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49260, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Elbakidze, Levan & McCarl, Bruce A., 2006. "Animal Disease Pre-Event Preparedness versus Post-Event Response: When is it Economic to Protect?," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(02), August.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990.
"Nash equilibrium with strategic complementarities,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 305-321.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Harris, Thomas R. & Kvasnicka, William G. & Veserat, Gary M., 1997. "Factors Influencing Rates Of Adoption Of Trichomoniasis Vaccine By Nevada Range Cattle Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Michaela Draganska & Sanjog Misra & Victor Aguirregabiria & Pat Bajari & Liran Einav & Paul Ellickson & Dan Horsky & Sridhar Narayanan & Yesim Orhun & Peter Reiss & Katja Seim & Vishal Singh & Raphael, 2008. "Discrete choice models of firms’ strategic decisions," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 399-416, December.
- Mahul, Olivier & Gohin, Alexandre, 1999. "Irreversible Decision Making in Contagious Animal Disease Control under Uncertainty: An Illustration Using FMD in Brittany," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(1), pages 39-58, March.
- Miravete, Eugenio J. & Pernías, José C., 2010. "Testing for complementarity when strategies are dichotomous," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 28-31, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.