Farm-level efficiency and productivity measurement using panel data: wool production in south-west Victoria
AbstractIn this article we explore some issues surrounding the use of farm‐level efficiency and productivity estimates for benchmarking studies. Using an eight‐year balanced panel of Victorian wool producers we analyse annual variation between estimates of farm‐level technical efficiency derived using Data Envelopment Analysis and Malmquist estimates of Total Factor Productivity. We find that farms change their relative rank in terms of efficiency across years. Also, unlike aggregate studies of Total Factor Productivity, we find at best erratic and modest growth, a worrying result for this industry. However, caution is needed when interpreting these results, and for that matter, benchmarking analysis as currently practised when using frontier estimation techniques like Data Envelopment Analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
Livestock Production/Industries; Productivity Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., . "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chambers, Robert G. & Fare, Rolf & Jaenicke, Edward & Lichtenberg, Erik, 1998. "Using dominance in forming bounds on DEA models: The case of experimental agricultural data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 189-203, July.
- D. L. Neff & P. Garcia & C. H. Nelson, 1993. "Technical Efficiency: A Comparison Of Production Frontier Methods," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 479-489.
- Kalirajan, K P & Shand, R T, 1999. " Frontier Production Functions and Technical Efficiency Measures," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 149-72, April.
- Fraser, I. & Cordina, D., 1999. "An application of data envelopment analysis to irrigated dairy farms in Northern Victoria, Australia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 267-282, March.
- Ahmad, Munir & Boris E., Bravo-Ureta, 1996. "Technical efficiency measures for dairy farms using panel data: a comparison of alternative model specifications," MPRA Paper 37703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- te Kloot, Jack H. & Anderson, Jock R., 1977. "Estimation Of Technological Change In The Pastoral Zone," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(04), December.
- Villano, Renato A. & Fleming, Euan M. & Farrell, Terence C. & Fleming, Pauline, 2006.
"Productivity Change in the Australian Sheep Industry Revisited,"
2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia
139921, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Villano, Renato A. & Fleming, Euan M. & Farrell, Terence C. & Fleming, Pauline, 2006. "Productivity Change in the Australian Sheep Industry Revisited," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25593, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tozer, Peter R. & Villano, Renato, 2013. "Decomposing Productivity and Efficiency among Western Australian Grain Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(3), December.
- Henderson, Benjamin B. & Kingwell, Ross S., 2001. "An Investigation of the Technical and Allocative Efficiency of Broadacre Farmers," 2002 Conference (46th), February 13-15, 2002, Canberra 125109, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Fraser, Iain & Horrace, William C., 2002.
"Technical Efficiency of Australian Wool Production: Point and Confidence Interval Estimates,"
2002 Conference (46th), February 13-15, 2002, Canberra
125084, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- I. Fraser & W. Horrace, 2003. "Technical Efficiency of Australian Wool Production: Point and Confidence Interval Estimates," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 169-190, September.
- Iain Fraser & William C. Horrace, 2002. "Technical Efficiency of Australian Wool Production: Point and Confidence Interval Estimates," Public Economics 0206001, EconWPA, revised 11 May 2003.
- Karanja, Francis & Gilmour, Daniel & Fraser, Iain, 2012. "Dairy productivity growth, efficiency change and technological progress in Victoria," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 125053, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Watson, Alistair S., 2005. "Productivity and the Dairy Industry," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 13.
- Fleming, Euan M. & Farrell, Terence C. & Villano, Renato A. & Fleming, Pauline, 2006. "Is farm benchmarking the new acceptable face of comparative analysis?," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 14.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.