Scale Efficiency In Australian Dairy Farms
AbstractData Envelope Analysis, (DEA), a linear programming technique, provides a more consistent measure of efficiency than the commonly cited partial measures of farm efficiency. It yields a relative measure of efficiency and identifies inputs or outputs that are under utilized. In this paper, DEA is used to assess the technical efficiency of a sample of dairy farms across all dairy regions in Australia. Regions vary in size and scale of operation and are examined to see the relationship between farm size and technical efficiency, and to see if there is justification in the move towards bigger dairy production units than currently exist, given their factor mix.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia with number 57878.
Date of creation: Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Farm Management; Production Economics; Productivity Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chambers, Robert G. & Fare, Rolf & Jaenicke, Edward & Lichtenberg, Erik, 1998. "Using dominance in forming bounds on DEA models: The case of experimental agricultural data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 189-203, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Alfons Weersink & Calum G. Turvey & Abdulahi Godah, 1990. "Decomposition Measures of Technical Efficiency for Ontario Dairy Farms," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 38(3), pages 439-456, November.
- Sauer, Johannes & Davidova, Sophia & Gorton, Matthew, 2012. "Heterogeneous Technologies as an Answer to Market and Price Risk: The Case of Kosovo," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122509, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Watson, Alistair S., 2005. "Productivity and the Dairy Industry," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 13.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.