Review of Easterly's The Elusive Quest for Growth
AbstractWilliam Easterly's superb book draws on what we have learned from almost two decades of cross-country growth comparisons, providing a critical synthesis of the current state of empirical knowledge on growth. The author emphasizes policy and institution-driven incentives for growth, and also critically surveys evidence for more traditional sources of growth such as factor accumulation. Another contribution of the book is an accessible and detailed description of the vicious cycle of adjustment loans directed by the World Bank and IMF at countries that squander these resources in current consumption rather than investment, leading to stagnant growth, debt crises, debt relief and further adjustment loans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal Journal of Economic Literature.
Volume (Year): 40 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bertocchi, Graziella, 2011.
"Growth, Colonization, and Institutional Development: In and Out of Africa,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8486, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Graziella Bertocchi, 2011. "Growth, Colonization, and Institutional Development. In and Out of Africa," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 064, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- Bertocchi, Graziella, 2011. "Growth, Colonization, and Institutional Development: In and Out of Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 5856, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Karsten Staehr, 2003.
"Reforms and economic growth in transition economies: Complementarity, sequencing and speed,"
- Karsten Staehr, 2005. "Reforms and Economic Growth in Transition Economies: Complementarity, Sequencing and Speed," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 2(2), pages 177-202, December.
- Staehr, Karsten, 2003. "Reforms and economic growth in transition economies: Complementarity, sequencing and speed," BOFIT Discussion Papers 1/2003, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Robert P. Inman, 2008. "Federalism's Values and the Value of Federalism," NBER Working Papers 13735, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Godunova, M., 2010. "Influence of import tariffs, accumulation of FER and external debt on economic growth depending on stages of economic development," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, issue 5, pages 28-45.
- Patricia Prüfer & Gabriele Tondl, 2009.
"The FDI-Growth Nexus in Latin America: The Role of Source Countries and Local Conditions,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c014_025, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Prüfer, P. & Tondl, G., 2008. "The FDI-Growth Nexus in Latin America: The Role of Source Countries and Local Conditions," Discussion Paper 2008-61, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cohen, Joseph N, 2010. "Neoliberalism’s relationship with economic growth in the developing world: Was it the power of the market or the resolution of financial crisis?," MPRA Paper 24399, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Slavov, Slavi T., 2009. "Do common currencies facilitate the net flow of capital among countries?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 124-144, August.
- Jean Cartier-Bresson, 2011. "L'agenda de la gouvernance," Working Papers hal-00845170, HAL.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Rousseau, Peter L., 2012.
"Historical evidence on the finance-trade-growth nexus,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1236-1243.
- Michael D. Bordo & Peter L. Rousseau, 2011. "Historical Evidence on the Finance-Trade-Growth Nexus," NBER Working Papers 17024, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William R. Hauk & Romain Wacziarg, 2004.
"A Monte Carlo Study of Growth Regressions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, Angela Y. & Aaker, Jennifer L., 2006. "A Monte Carlo Study of Growth Regressions," Research Papers 1836r1, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Bhalotra, Sonia R. & Umana-Aponte, Marcela, 2010.
"The Dynamics of Women's Labour Supply in Developing Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4879, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sonia Bhalotra & Marcela Umaña-Aponte, 2010. "The Dynamics of Women’s Labour Supply in Developing Countries," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 10/235, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Matthew McCartney, 2011. "Pakistan, Growth, Dependency, and Crisis," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 16(Special E), pages 71-94, September.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 2004.
"Intellectual Property Rights and the World Trade Organization: Retrospect and Prospects,"
Staff General Research Papers
10442, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- GianCarlo Moschini, 2003. "Intellectual Property Rights and the World Trade Organization: Retrospect and Prospects," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 03-wp334, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Bhalotra, Sonia & Umana-Aponte, Marcela, 2012. "Women.s Labour Supply and Household Insurance in Africa," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Diego Bastourre & Luis Casanova & Alejo Espora, 2011. "Tipo de Cambio Real y Crecimiento: Síntesis de la Evidencia y Agenda de Investigación," Department of Economics, Working Papers 082, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.