Social Science & Medicine
2010, Volume 70, Issue 11
- 1745-1755 Poverty, vulnerability, and provision of healthcare in Afghanistan
by Trani, Jean-Francois & Bakhshi, Parul & Noor, Ayan A. & Lopez, Dominique & Mashkoor, Ashraf
- 1756-1764 Maori healers' views on wellbeing: The importance of mind, body, spirit, family and land
by Mark, Glenis Tabetha & Lyons, Antonia C.
- 1765-1772 Project-induced migration and depression: A panel analysis
by Hwang, Sean-Shong & Cao, Yue & Xi, Juan
- 1773-1779 Patterns of distress, precipitating events, and reflections on suicide attempts by young Latinas
by Zayas, Luis & Gulbas, Lauren E. & Fedoravicius, Nicole & Cabassa, Leopoldo J.
- 1780-1788 Socio-economic status and oral health-related behaviours in Korean adolescents
by Jung, Se-Hwan & Tsakos, Georgios & Sheiham, Aubrey & Ryu, Jae-In & Watt, Richard G.
- 1789-1798 The knowledge, education and behaviour of young people with regard to Chlamydia trachomatis in Aarhus, Denmark and Bonn, Germany: Do prevention concepts matter?
by Lengen, Charis & Jäger, Sabine & Kistemann, Thomas
- 1799-1805 Are children and adolescents less active if parents restrict their physical activity and active transport due to perceived risk?
by Carver, Alison & Timperio, Anna & Hesketh, Kylie & Crawford, David
- 1806-1815 Local environments as determinants of walking in Melbourne, Australia
by Bentley, Rebecca & Jolley, Damien & Kavanagh, Anne Marie
- 1816-1824 Do working mothers raise couch potato kids? Maternal employment and children's lifestyle behaviours and weight in early childhood
by Brown, Judith E. & Broom, Dorothy H. & Nicholson, Jan M. & Bittman, Michael
- 1825-1831 The adaptive role of perceived control before and after cancer diagnosis: A prospective study
by Ranchor, Adelita V. & Wardle, Jane & Steptoe, Andrew & Henselmans, Inge & Ormel, Johan & Sanderman, Robbert
- 1832-1839 The impact of subjective and objective social status on psychological distress among men and women in Japan
by Sakurai, Keiko & Kawakami, Norito & Yamaoka, Kazue & Ishikawa, Hirono & Hashimoto, Hideki
- 1840-1846 The protective effects of civic communities against all-cause mortality
by Lee, Matthew R.
- 1847-1857 Fertility history and cause-specific mortality: A register-based analysis of complete cohorts of Norwegian women and men
by Grundy, Emily & Kravdal, Øystein
- 1858-1864 Alcohol use and social interactions among adolescents in Sweden: Do peer effects exist within and/or between the majority population and immigrants?
by Svensson, Mikael
- 1866-1866 Call for papers: Sociology of diagnosis: Negotiation, mediation and contingency
by Jutel, Annemarie & Nettleton, Sarah
2010, Volume 70, Issue 10
- 1467-1474 Schools as social complex adaptive systems: A new way to understand the challenges of introducing the health promoting schools concept
by Keshavarz, Nastaran & Nutbeam, Don & Rowling, Louise & Khavarpour, Freidoon
- 1475-1477 Approaching complexity: A commentary on Keshavarz, Nutbeam, Rowling and Khavarpour
by Haggis, Tamsin
- 1478-1479 Social complex adaptive systems. A response to Haggis
by Keshavarz, Nastaran & Nutbeam, Don & Rowling, Louise
- 1480-1486 Timing of retirement and mortality - A cohort study of Swedish construction workers
by Hult, Carl & Stattin, Mikael & Janlert, Urban & Järvholm, Bengt
- 1487-1488 Do disability pensioners have a higher mortality rate than non-pensioners? Adjusting for potential confounding: A commentary on Hult, Stattin, Janlert and Järvholm
by Wallman, Thorne & Svärdsudd, Kurt
- 1489-1491 Comparing mortality rates and recognizing health selection bias: A response to Wallman and Svärdsudd
by Hult, Carl & Stattin, Mikael & Janlert, Urban & Järvholm, Bengt
- 1492-1500 Translating evidence into practice: A shared priority in public health?
by McAneney, H. & McCann, J.F. & Prior, L. & Wilde, J. & Kee, F.
- 1501-1508 Using the life course perspective to study the entry into the illness trajectory: The perspective of caregivers of people with Alzheimer's disease
by Carpentier, Normand & Bernard, Paul & Grenier, Amanda & Guberman, Nancy
- 1509-1517 Disseminating educational innovations in health care practice: Training versus social networks
by Jippes, Erik & Achterkamp, Marjolein C. & Brand, Paul L.P. & Kiewiet, Derk Jan & Pols, Jan & van Engelen, Jo M.L.
- 1518-1526 "It all depends": Conceptualizing public involvement in the context of health technology assessment agencies
by Gauvin, Francois-Pierre & Abelson, Julia & Giacomini, Mita & Eyles, John & Lavis, John N.
- 1527-1535 The effect of a public health card program on the supply of health care
by Johar, Meliyanni
- 1536-1543 Understanding the impact of economic evidence on clinical decision making: A discrete choice experiment in cardiology
by Torbica, Aleksandra & Fattore, Giovanni
- 1544-1549 Dramatic increase of Cesarean deliveries in the midst of health reforms in rural China
by Bogg, Lennart & Huang, Kun & Long, Qian & Shen, Yuan & Hemminki, Elina
- 1550-1557 Social disparities and cause-specific mortality during economic development
by Mary Schooling, C. & Lau, Elaine W.L. & Tin, Keith Y.K. & Leung, Gabriel M.
- 1558-1566 Socioeconomic and behavioral risk factors for mortality in a national 19-year prospective study of U.S. adults
by Lantz, Paula M. & Golberstein, Ezra & House, James S. & Morenoff, Jeffrey
- 1567-1573 Economic models of the family and the relationship between economic status and health
by Tipper, Adam
- 1574-1580 Difficulty of healthy eating: A Rasch model approach
by Henson, Spencer & Blandon, Jose & Cranfield, John
- 1581-1589 The cost of sickness: On the effect of the duration of sick leave on post-sick leave earnings
by Andersen, Signe Hald
- 1590-1598 Does variation in general practitioner (GP) practice matter for the length of sick leave? A multilevel analysis based on Norwegian GP-patient data
by Aakvik, Arild & Holmås, Tor Helge & Kamrul Islam, M.
- 1599-1608 Listen carefully: The risk of error in spoken medication orders
by Lambert, Bruce L. & Dickey, Laura Walsh & Fisher, William M. & Gibbons, Robert D. & Lin, Swu-Jane & Luce, Paul A. & McLennan, Conor T. & Senders, John W. & Yu, Clement T.
- 1609-1617 Effects of organizational justice on depressive symptoms and sickness absence: A longitudinal perspective
by Ybema, Jan F. & van den Bos, Kees
- 1618-1625 Using theory to synthesise evidence from behaviour change interventions: The example of audit and feedback
by Gardner, Benjamin & Whittington, Craig & McAteer, John & Eccles, Martin P. & Michie, Susan
- 1626-1632 Suicide prevention by limiting access to methods: A review of theory and practice
by Florentine, Julia Buus & Crane, Catherine
- 1633-1640 Spiritual therapeutic landscapes and healing: A case study of St. Anne de Beaupre, Quebec, Canada
by Williams, Allison
- 1641-1647 "He's a good-looking chap aint he?": Narrative and visualisations of self in body dysmorphic disorder
by Silver, Joanna & Reavey, Paula
- 1648-1655 Group-based citizenship in the acceptance of indoor residual spraying (IRS) for malaria control in Mozambique
by Montgomery, Catherine M. & Munguambe, Khátia & Pool, Robert
- 1656-1664 Don't let the suffering make you fade away: An ethnographic study of resilience among survivors of genocide-rape in southern Rwanda
by Zraly, Maggie & Nyirazinyoye, Laetitia
2010, Volume 70, Issue 9
- 1263-1270 Suppression of racial disparities for children with special health care needs among families receiving Medicaid
by Rose, Roderick A. & Parish, Susan L. & Yoo, Joan & Grady, Melissa D. & Powell, Sarah E. & Hicks-Sangster, Tamara K.
- 1271-1273 Medicaid and racial disparities in health: The issue of causality. A commentary on Rose etÂ al
by Michael Foster, E.
- 1274-1276 Observation, correlation and policy analysis: A response to Foster
by Rose, Roderick A. & Parish, Susan L. & Yoo, Joan P.
- 1277-1284 Genotype-environment interaction and sociology: Contributions and complexities
by Seabrook, Jamie A. & Avison, William R.
- 1285-1294 Theorising big IT programmes in healthcare: Strong structuration theory meets actor-network theory
by Greenhalgh, Trisha & Stones, Rob
- 1295-1300 Are cancer registries unconstitutional?
by McLaughlin, Robert H. & Clarke, Christina A. & Crawley, LaVera M. & Glaser, Sally L.
- 1301-1308 Defining near misses: Towards a sharpened definition based on empirical data about error handling processes
by Kessels-Habraken, Marieke & Van der Schaaf, Tjerk & De Jonge, Jan & Rutte, Christel
- 1309-1316 Prospective risk analysis prior to retrospective incident reporting and analysis as a means to enhance incident reporting behaviour: A quasi-experimental field study
by Kessels-Habraken, Marieke & De Jonge, Jan & Van der Schaaf, Tjerk & Rutte, Christel
- 1317-1325 Preferences for long-term care services: Willingness to pay estimates derived from a discrete choice experiment
by Nieboer, Anna P. & Koolman, Xander & Stolk, Elly A.
- 1326-1334 Spanning the know-do gap: Understanding knowledge application and capacity in long-term care homes
by Berta, Whitney & Teare, Gary F. & Gilbart, Erin & Ginsburg, Liane S. & Lemieux-Charles, Louise & Davis, Dave & Rappolt, Susan
- 1335-1341 In search of 'low health literacy': Threshold vs. gradient effect of literacy on health status and mortality
by Wolf, Michael S. & Feinglass, Joseph & Thompson, Jason & Baker, David W.
- 1342-1349 Development of a Deprivation Index and its relation to premature mortality due to diseases of the circulatory system in Hungary, 1998-2004
by Juhász, Attila & Nagy, Csilla & Páldy, Anna & Beale, Linda
- 1350-1357 National independence, women's political participation, and life expectancy in Norway
by Nobles, Jenna & Brown, Ryan & Catalano, Ralph
- 1358-1366 Income inequality, perceived happiness, and self-rated health: Evidence from nationwide surveys in Japan
by Oshio, Takashi & Kobayashi, Miki
- 1367-1372 Does low workplace social capital have detrimental effect on workers' health?
by Suzuki, Etsuji & Takao, Soshi & Subramanian, S.V. & Komatsu, Hirokazu & Doi, Hiroyuki & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 1373-1380 Racial and social class gradients in life expectancy in contemporary California
by Clarke, Christina A. & Miller, Tim & Chang, Ellen T. & Yin, Daixin & Cockburn, Myles & Gomez, Scarlett L.
- 1381-1390 Sense of community and its relationship with walking and neighborhood design
by Wood, Lisa & Frank, Lawrence D. & Giles-Corti, Billie
- 1391-1395 Deprivation amplification and health promoting resources in the context of a poor country
by Nogueira, Helena Guilhermina
- 1396-1403 Cancer-related health behaviours and health service use among Inuit and other residents of Canada's north
by McDonald, James Ted & Trenholm, Ryan
- 1404-1415 Partner abuse or violence, parenting and neighborhood influences on children's behavioral problems
by O'Campo, Patricia & Caughy, Margaret O. & Nettles, Saundra M.
- 1416-1422 Violence victimization among Finnish university students: Prevalence, symptoms and healthcare usage
by Björklund, Katja & Häkkänen-Nyholm, Helinä & Huttunen, Teppo & Kunttu, Kristina
- 1423-1440 Can preschool improve child health outcomes? A systematic review
by D'Onise, Katina & Lynch, John W. & Sawyer, Michael G. & McDermott, Robyn A.
- 1441-1449 Using stories to battle unintentional injuries: Narratives in safety and health communication
by Ricketts, Mitch & Shanteau, James & McSpadden, Breeanna & Fernandez-Medina, Kristen M.
- 1450-1457 Food insecurity and mental health: Surprising trends among community health volunteers in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia during the 2008 food crisis
by Maes, Kenneth C. & Hadley, Craig & Tesfaye, Fikru & Shifferaw, Selamawit
- 1458-1465 Credit where credit is due? Regulation, research integrity and the attribution of authorship in the health sciences
by Street, Jackie M. & Rogers, Wendy A. & Israel, Mark & Braunack-Mayer, Annette J.
2010, Volume 70, Issue 8
- 1111-1118 Mental health disparities research: The impact of within and between group analyses on tests of social stress hypotheses
by Schwartz, Sharon & Meyer, Ilan H.
- 1119-1120 Health disparities and the stress hypothesis: A commentary on Schwartz and Meyer
by Turner, R. Jay
- 1121-1122 Reflections on the stress model: A response to Turner
by Schwartz, Sharon & Meyer, Ilan H.
- 1123-1130 Beer is the cattle of women: Sorghum beer commercialization and dietary intake of agropastoral families in Karamoja, Uganda
by Dancause, Kelsey Needham & Akol, Helen A. & Gray, Sandra J.
- 1131-1140 The numbers, educational status and health of enrolled and non-enrolled school-age children in the Allai Valley, Northwest Frontier Province, Pakistan
by Hall, Andrew & Kirby, Helen
- 1141-1147 Understanding factors influencing substance use in people with recent onset psychosis: A qualitative study
by Lobbana, Fiona & Barrowclough, Christine & Jeffery, Sophie & Bucci, Sandra & Taylor, Katherine & Mallinson, Sara & Fitzsimmons, Mike & Marshall, Max
- 1148-1154 Some unintended effects of teamwork in healthcare
by Finn, Rachael & Learmonth, Mark & Reedy, Patrick
- 1155-1158 Differential patient-caregiver opinions of treatment and care for advanced lung cancer patients
by Zhang, Amy Y. & Zyzanski, Stephen J. & Siminoff, Laura A.
- 1159-1165 Success in health information exchange projects: Solving the implementation puzzle
by Sicotte, Claude & Paré, Guy
- 1166-1170 End of life care policies: Do they make a difference in practice?
by Goodridge, Donna
- 1171-1175 Co-operation between patient organisations and the drug industry in Finland
by Hemminki, Elina & Toiviainen, Hanna K. & Vuorenkoski, Lauri
- 1176-1184 Is the "practice style" hypothesis relevant for general practitioners? An analysis of antibiotics prescription for acute rhinopharyngitis
by Mousquès, Julien & Renaud, Thomas & Scemama, Olivier
- 1185-1193 Decomposing cross-country differences in levels of obesity and overweight: Does the social environment matter?
by Font, Joan Costa & Fabbri, Daniele & Gil, Joan
- 1194-1202 Individual, family, and area predictors of BMI and BMI change in an adult Norwegian population: Findings from the HUNT study
by Sund, Erik Reidar & Jones, Andy & Midthjell, Kristian
- 1203-1210 Green space as a buffer between stressful life events and health
by van den Berg, Agnes E. & Maas, Jolanda & Verheij, Robert A. & Groenewegen, Peter P.
- 1211-1218 The association between heart disease mortality and geographic access to hospitals: County level comparisons in Ohio, USA
by Yamashita, Takashi & Kunkel, Suzanne R.
- 1219-1228 "My health has improved because I always have everything I need here...": A qualitative exploration of health improvement and decline among immigrants
by Dean, Jennifer Asanin & Wilson, Kathi
- 1229-1236 Lifecourse socioeconomic trajectories and C-reactive protein levels in young adults: Findings from a Brazilian birth cohort
by Nazmi, Aydin & Oliveira, Isabel O. & Horta, Bernardo L. & Gigante, Denise P. & Victora, Cesar G.
- 1237-1245 Conflict between the work and family domains and exhaustion among vocationally active men and women
by Canivet, Catarina & Östergren, Per-Olof & Lindeberg, Sara I. & Choi, BongKyoo & Karasek, Robert & Moghaddassi, Mahnaz & Isacsson, Sven-Olof
- 1246-1253 The relative importance of family socioeconomic status and school-based peer hierarchies for morning cortisol in youth: An exporatory study
by West, Patrick & Sweeting, Helen & Young, Robert & Kelly, Shona
- 1254-1261 Socioeconomic inequalities in suicidal ideation, parasuicides, and completed suicides in South Korea
by Kim, Myoung-Hee & Jung-Choi, Kyunghee & Jun, Hee-Jin & Kawachi, Ichiro
2010, Volume 70, Issue 7
- 961-968 Methuselah's medicine: Pharmaceutical innovation and mortality in the United States, 1960-2000
by Schnittker, Jason & Karandinos, George
- 969-971 Pharmaceutical innovation and mortality in the United States, 1960-2000. A commentary on Schnittker and Karandinos
by Lichtenberg, Frank
- 972-973 Pharmaceutical innovation: Can we live forever? A commentary on Schnittker and Karandinos
by Lexchin, Joel
- 974-975 Between two extremes: A response to Lichtenberg and Lexchin
by Schnittker, Jason
- 976-984 Parents, teachers and peer relations as predictors of risk behaviors and mental well-being among immigrant and Israeli born adolescents
by Walsh, Sophie D. & Harel-Fisch, Yossi & Fogel-Grinvald, Haya
- 985-993 Being treated differently: Stigma experiences with family, peers, and school staff among adolescents with mental health disorders
by Moses, Tally
- 994-1001 "Are we moving again this week?" Children's experiences of homelessness in Victoria, Australia
by Kirkman, Maggie & Keys, Deborah & Bodzak, Daria & Turner, Alina
- 1002-1010 The psychological effect of orphanhood in a matured HIV epidemic: An analysis of young people in Mukono, Uganda
by Kaggwa, Esther B. & Hindin, Michelle J.
- 1011-1018 Formal and informal help-seeking associated with women's and men's experiences of intimate partner violence in Canada
by Ansara, Donna L. & Hindin, Michelle J.
- 1019-1025 Who proficts from visual aids: Overcoming challenges in people's understanding of risks
by Garcia-Retamero, Rocio & Galesic, Mirta
- 1026-1034 What policies and policy processes are needed to ensure that people with psychiatric disabilities have access to appropriate housing?
by Battams, Samantha & Baum, Fran
- 1035-1041 Which carers of family members at the end of life need more support from health services and why?
by McNamara, Beverley & Rosenwax, Lorna
- 1042-1049 More of the same? Conflicting perspectives of obesity causation and intervention amongst overweight people, health professionals and policy makers
by Greener, Joe & Douglas, Flora & van Teijlingen, Edwin
- 1050-1058 Functional declines, social support, and mental health in the elderly: Does living in a state supportive of home and community-based services make a difference?
by Muramatsu, Naoko & Yin, Hongjun & Hedeker, Donald
- 1059-1069 Community attachment, neighborhood context, and sex worker use among Hispanic migrants in Durham, North Carolina, USA
by Parrado, Emilio A. & Flippen, Chenoa
- 1070-1076 Perceived and objective neighborhood environment attributes and health related quality of life among the elderly in Bogotá, Colombia
by Parra, Diana C. & Gomez, Luis F. & Sarmiento, Olga L. & Buchner, David & Brownson, Ross & Schimd, Thomas & Gomez, Viviola & Lobelo, Felipe
- 1077-1083 "If he gives in, he will be gone...": The influence of work and place on experiences, reactions and self-care of heart failure in rural Canada
by Freydberg, Nicole & Strain, Laurel & Tsuyuki, Ross T. & McAlister, Finlay A. & Clark, Alexander M.
- 1084-1090 Framing disease: The example of female hypoactive sexual desire disorder
by Jutel, Annemarie
- 1091-1099 Racial discrimination and health: A systematic review of scales with a focus on their psychometric properties
by Bastos, Joao Luiz & Celeste, Roger Keller & Faerstein, Eduardo & Barros, Aluisio J.D.
- 1100-1108 What is a cohort effect? Comparison of three statistical methods for modeling cohort effects in obesity prevalence in the United States, 1971-2006
by Keyes, Katherine M. & Utz, Rebecca L. & Robinson, Whitney & Li, Guohua
2010, Volume 70, Issue 6
- 795-799 Smoking, stigma and tobacco 'denormalization': Further reflections on the use of stigma as a public health tool. A commentary on Social Science & Medicine's Stigma, Prejudice, Discrimination and Health Special Issue (67: 3)
by Bell, Kirsten & Salmon, Amy & Bowers, Michele & Bell, Jennifer & McCullough, Lucy
- 800-801 Stigma and the ethics of public health redux: A response to Bell et al
by Bayer, Ronald
- 802-812 Can patient self-management explain the health gradient? Goldman and Smith's "Can patient self-management help explain the SES health gradient?" (2002) revisited
by Maitra, Sudeshna
- 813-815 Can patient self-management explain the health gradient? revisited: A response to Maitra
by Smith, James Patrick & Goldman, Dana
- 816-822 The relationship of physical activity and overweight to objectively measured green space accessibility and use
by Coombes, Emma & Jones, Andrew P. & Hillsdon, Melvyn
- 823-833 Socio-spatial patterns of neighborhood effects on adult obesity in Taiwan: A multi-level model
by Chen, Duan-Rung & Wen, Tzai-Hung
- 834-843 Intergenerational 'mismatch' and adiposity in a developing population: The Guangzhou biobank cohort study
by Kavikondala, Sushma & Jiang, Chao Qiang & Zhang, Wei Sen & Cheng, Kar Keung & Lam, Tai Hing & Leung, Gabriel M. & Schooling, C. Mary
- 844-849 Self-reported hypertension prevalence and income among older adults in Canada and the United States
by Kaplan, Mark S. & Huguet, Nathalie & Feeny, David H. & McFarland, Bentson H.
- 850-858 School differences in adolescent health and wellbeing: Findings from the Canadian Health Behaviour in School-aged Children Study
by Saab, Hana & Klinger, Don
- 859-866 Socio-spatial stigmatization and the contested space of addiction treatment: Remapping strategies of opposition to the disorder of drugs
by Smith, Christopher B.R.
- 867-874 Job insecurity and health: A study of 16 European countries
by László, Krisztina D. & Pikhart, Hynek & Kopp, Mária S. & Bobak, Martin & Pajak, Andrzej & Malyutina, Sofia & Salavecz, Gyöngyvér & Marmot, Michael
- 875-885 Income inequality and health: Importance of a cross-country perspective
by Karlsson, Martin & Nilsson, Therese & Lyttkens, Carl Hampus & Leeson, George
- 886-895 Gender and health outcomes: The impact of healthcare systems and their financing on life expectancies of women and men
by Asiskovitch, Sharon
- 896-903 An innovative participatory method for newly democratic societies: The "civic groups forum" on national health insurance reform in Taiwan
by Deng, Chung-Yeh & Wu, Chia-Ling
- 904-911 The contribution of primary care to health and health systems in low- and middle-income countries: A critical review of major primary care initiatives
by Kruk, Margaret Elizabeth & Porignon, Denis & Rockers, Peter C. & Van Lerberghe, Wim
- 912-920 Health inequalities between lone and couple mothers and policy under different welfare regimes - The example of Italy, Sweden and Britain
by Burstrom, Bo & Whitehead, Margaret & Clayton, Stephen & Fritzell, Sara & Vannoni, Francesca & Costa, Giuseppe
- 921-925 Disability pension as predictor of later use of benzodiazepines among benzodiazepine users
by Hartz, Ingeborg & Tverdal, Aage & Skille, Eivind & Skurtveit, Svetlana
- 926-933 Public accountability of newborn screening: Collective knowing and deciding
by Wieser, Bernhard
- 934-941 'A pill for every ill': Explaining the expansion in medicine use
by Busfield, Joan
- 942-950 Newsprint media representations of the introduction of the HPV vaccination programme for cervical cancer prevention in the UK (2005-2008)
by Hilton, Shona & Hunt, Kate & Langan, Mairi & Bedford, Helen & Petticrew, Mark
- 951-958 Moral work in women's narratives of breastfeeding
by Ryan, Kath & Bissell, Paul & Alexander, Jo
2010, Volume 70, Issue 5
- 643-647 Prohibiting or 'managing' conflict of interest? A review of policies and procedures in three European drug regulation agencies
by Lexchin, Joel & O'Donovan, Orla
- 648-651 On the prohibition of conflicts of interest in pharmaceutical regulation: Precautionary limits and permissive challenges. A commentary on Sismondo (66:9, 2008, 1909-14) and O'Donovan and Lexchin
by Abraham, John
- 652-654 A commentary on Marja Jylhä's "What is self-rated health and why does it predict mortality? Towards a unified conceptual model"(69:3, 2009, 307-316)
by Huisman, Martijn & Deeg, Dorly J.H.
- 655-657 Self-rated health between psychology and biology. A response to Huisman and Deeg
by Jylhä, Marja
- 658-667 Kids in the atrium: Comparing architectural intentions and children's experiences in a pediatric hospital lobby
by Adams, Annmarie & Theodore, David & Goldenberg, Ellie & McLaren, Coralee & McKeever, Patricia
- 668-676 Conceptualizing the healthscape: Contributions of time geography, location technologies and spatial ecology to place and health research
by Rainham, Daniel & McDowell, Ian & Krewski, Daniel & Sawada, Mike
- 677-683 Acculturative and neighborhood influences on subjective social status among Spanish-speaking Latino immigrant smokers
by Reitzel, Lorraine R. & Mazas, Carlos A. & Cofta-Woerpel, Ludmila & Vidrine, Jennifer I. & Businelle, Michael S. & Kendzor, Darla E. & Li, Yisheng & Cao, Yumei & Wetter, David W.
- 684-691 Race disparities in low birth weight in the U.S. south and the rest of the nation
by Nepomnyaschy, Lenna
- 692-699 Perceived social position and health: Is there a reciprocal relationship?
by Garbarski, Dana
- 700-710 The impact of changes in different aspects of social capital and material conditions on self-rated health over time: A longitudinal cohort study
by Giordano, Giuseppe N. & Lindstrom, Martin
- 711-719 The sports and exercise life-course: A survival analysis of recall data from Ireland
by Lunn, Peter D.
- 720-728 Relative deprivation and mortality in South Africa
by Salti, Nisreen
- 729-735 'Secrets' that kill: Crisis, custodianship and responsibility in ritual male circumcision in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa
by Kepe, Thembela
- 736-743 'Experts', 'partners' and 'fools': Exploring agency in HIV treatment seeking among African migrants in London
by Thomas, Felicity & Aggleton, Peter & Anderson, Jane
- 744-753 Negotiating the boundary between medicine and consumer culture: Online marketing of nutrigenetic tests
by Saukko, Paula M. & Reed, Matthew & Britten, Nicky & Hogarth, Stuart
- 754-762 Patients' narrative accounts of open-heart surgery and recovery: Authorial voice of technology
by Lapum, Jennifer & Angus, Jan E. & Peter, Elizabeth & Watt-Watson, Judy
- 763-768 Interpersonal perception in the context of doctor-patient relationships: A dyadic analysis of doctor-patient communication
by Kenny, David A. & Veldhuijzen, Wemke & Weijden, Trudy van der & LeBlanc, Annie & Lockyer, Jocelyn & Légaré, France & Campbell, Craig
- 769-778 Why do interventions work in some places and not others: A breastfeeding support group trial
by Hoddinott, Pat & Britten, Jane & Pill, Roisin
- 779-786 Network resilience in the face of health system reform
by Sheaff, Rod & Benson, Lawrence & Farbus, Lou & Schofield, Jill & Mannion, Russell & Reeves, David
- 787-793 Perceived justice and popular support for public health laws: A case study around comprehensive smoke-free legislation in Mexico City
by Thrasher, James F. & Besley, John C. & González, Wendy
2010, Volume 70, Issue 4
- 493-495 Relative deprivation theory does not imply a contextual effect of country-level inequality on poor health. A commentary on Jen, Jones, and Johnston (68:4, 2009)
by Bernburg, Jon Gunnar
- 496-497 Re-evaluating self-evaluation. A commentary on Jen, Jones, and Johnston (68:4, 2009)
by Barford, Anna & Dorling, Danny & Pickett, Kate
- 498-500 On inequality and health, again: A response to Bernburg, and Barford, Dorling and Pickett
by Johnston, Ron & Jen, Min-Hua & Jones, Kelvyn
- 501-508 Long-stay inpatients in short-term emergency units in France: A case study
by Gansel, Yannis & Danet, François & Rauscher, Catherine
- 509-510 Long-stay inpatients in short-term emergency units in France. A commentary on Gansel, Danet, and Rauscher
by Zussman, Robert
- 511-517 The dynamic interaction of quality and efficiency in the emergency department: Squaring the circle?
by Nugus, Peter & Braithwaite, Jeffrey
- 518-525 The consequence of encouraging girls to be active for weight loss
by Davison, Kirsten Krahnstoever & Deane, Glenn D.
- 526-533 How does violence exposure affect the psychological health and parenting of young African-American mothers?
by Mitchell, Stephanie J. & Lewin, Amy & Horn, Ivor B. & Valentine, Dawn & Sanders-Phillips, Kathy & Joseph, Jill G.
- 534-542 Predictors of risk of alcohol-exposed pregnancies among women in an urban and a rural area of South Africa
by Morojele, Neo K. & London, Leslie & Olorunju, Steve A. & Matjila, Maila J. & Davids, Adlai S. & Rendall-Mkosi, Kirstie M.
- 543-549 Contribution of interaction with family, friends and neighbours, and sense of neighbourhood attachment to survival in senior citizens: 5-year follow-up study
by Morita, Ayako & Takano, Takehito & Nakamura, Keiko & Kizuki, Masashi & Seino, Kaoruko
- 550-560 Another Mexican birthweight paradox? The role of residential enclaves and neighborhood poverty in the birthweight of Mexican-origin infants
by Osypuk, Theresa L. & Bates, Lisa M. & Acevedo-Garcia, Dolores
- 561-569 Education and self-rated health: An individual and neighborhood level analysis ofÂ Asian Americans, Hawaiians, and Caucasians in Hawaii
by Zhang, Wei & McCubbin, Hamilton & McCubbin, Laurie & Chen, Qi & Foley, Shirley & Strom, Ida & Kehl, Lisa
- 570-574 Self-rated health and sickness-related absence: The modifying role of civic participation
by Lancee, Bram & ter Hoeven, Claartje L.
- 575-581 Associations between IQ and cigarette smoking among Swedish male twins
by Wennerstad, Karin Modig & Silventoinen, Karri & Tynelius, Per & Bergman, Lars & Kaprio, Jaakko & Rasmussen, Finn
- 582-587 Lifecourse influences on women's smoking before, during and after pregnancy
by Graham, Hilary & Hawkins, Summer Sherburne & Law, Catherine
- 588-596 Social capital and health in Australia: An overview from the household, income and labour dynamics in Australia survey
by Berry, Helen Louise & Welsh, Jennifer A.
- 597-604 'Rules' for boys, 'guidelines' for girls: Gender differences in symptom reporting during childhood and adolescence
by MacLean, Alice & Sweeting, Helen & Hunt, Kate
- 605-608 Encounters with unemployment in occupational health care: Nurses' constructions of clients without work
by Romppainen, Katri & Jähi, Rita & Saloniemi, Antti & Virtanen, Pekka
- 609-615 Perceptions of the gift relationship in organ and tissue donation: Views of intensivists and donor and recipient coordinators
by Shaw, Rhonda
- 616-622 Physicians' psychosocial barriers to different modes of withdrawal of life support in critical care: A qualitative study in Japan
by Aita, Kaoruko & Kai, Ichiro
- 623-630 A changing landscape for advance directives in dementia research
by Pierce, Robin
- 631-641 Employment change and the role of the medical home for married and single-mother families with children with special health care needs
by DeRigne, LeaAnne & Porterfield, Shirley
2010, Volume 70, Issue 3
- 337-341 Factors influencing the effectiveness of interventions to reduce racial and ethnic disparities in health care
by Jones, Rhys G. & Trivedi, Amal N. & Ayanian, John Z.
- 342-350 A systematic grounded approach to the development of complex interventions: The Australian WorkHealth Program - Arthritis as a case study
by Reavley, Nicola & Livingston, Jenni & Buchbinder, Rachelle & Bennell, Kim & Stecki, Chris & Osborne, Richard Harry
- 351-359 Resources and obstacles to developing and implementing a structural intervention to prevent HIV in San Salvador, El Salvador
by Dickson-Gomez, Julia & Corbett, A. Michelle & Bodnar, Gloria & Rodriguez, Karla & Guevara, Carmen E.
- 360-367 An assessment of community readiness for HIV/AIDS preventive interventions in rural Bangladesh
by Aboud, Frances & Huq, Nafisa Lira & Larson, Charles P. & Ottisova, Livia
- 368-374 Stigma rises despite antiretroviral roll-out: A longitudinal analysis in South Africa
by Maughan-Brown, Brendan
- 375-382 The transition to living with HIV as a chronic condition in rural Uganda: Working to create order and control when on antiretroviral therapy
by Russell, Steven & Seeley, Janet
- 383-391 Three kinds of psychological determinants for hand-washing behaviour in Kenya
by Aunger, Robert & Schmidt, Wolf-Peter & Ranpura, Ashish & Coombes, Yolande & Maina, Peninnah Mukiri & Matiko, Carol Nkatha & Curtis, Valerie
- 392-400 A cross cultural study of vaginal practices and sexuality: Implications for sexual health
by Martin Hilber, Adriane & Hull, Terence H. & Preston-Whyte, Eleanor & Bagnol, Brigitte & Smit, Jenni & Wacharasin, Chintana & Widyantoro, Ninuk
- 401-411 Morbidity and mortality disparities among colonist and indigenous populations in the Ecuadorian Amazon
by Kuang-Yao Pan, William & Erlien, Christine & Bilsborrow, Richard E.
- 412-419 Rural-urban migration and health: Evidence from longitudinal data in Indonesia
by Lu, Yao
- 420-427 Early life circumstances and male suicide - A 30-year follow-up of a Stockholm cohort born in 1953
by Rojas, Yerko & Stenberg, Sten-Åke
- 428-438 Socioeconomic differences in health over the life cycle in an Egalitarian country
by van Kippersluis, Hans & O'Donnell, Owen & van Doorslaer, Eddy & Van Ourti, Tom
- 439-446 Productivity growth in outpatient child and adolescent mental health services: The impact of case-mix adjustment
by Halsteinli, Vidar & Kittelsen, Sverre A. & Magnussen, Jon
- 447-454 Using economic levers to change behaviour: The case of Thailand's universal coverage health care reforms
by Hughes, David & Leethongdee, Songkramchai & Osiri, Sunantha
- 455-464 Informative inducement: Study payment as a signal of risk
by Cryder, Cynthia E. & John London, Alex & Volpp, Kevin G. & Loewenstein, George
- 465-472 Subjective unmet need and utilization of health care services in Canada: What are the equity implications?
by Allin, Sara & Grignon, Michel & Le Grand, Julian
- 473-478 Developing a longitudinal database of routinely recorded primary care consultations linked to service use and outcome data
by Williams, Brian & Dowell, Jon & Humphris, Gerry & Themessl-Huber, Markus & Rushmer, Rosemary & Ricketts, Ian & Boyle, Paul & Sullivan, Frank
- 479-484 Which patients improve: Characteristics increasing sensitivity to a supportive patient-practitioner relationship
by Conboy, Lisa Ann & Macklin, Eric & Kelley, John & Kokkotou, Efi & Lembo, Anthony & Kaptchuk, Ted
- 485-492 Internet-based trials and the creation of health consumers
by Advocat, Jenny & Lindsay, Jo
2010, Volume 70, Issue 2
- 169-174 From a different angle: A novel approach to health valuation
by Craig, Benjamin M. & Oppe, Mark
- 175-182 On health insurance and household decisions: A treatment effect analysis
by Koch, Steven & Alaba, Olufunke
- 183-190 Effects of simplifying choice tasks on estimates of taste heterogeneity in stated-choice surveys
by Johnson, F. Reed & Ozdemir, Semra & Phillips, Kathryn A.
- 191-198 Managed care and measuring medical outcomes: Did the rise of HMOs contribute to the fall in the autopsy rate?
by Harrington, David E. & Sayre, Edward A.
- 199-208 Prioritization and patients' rights: Analysing the effect of a reform in the Norwegian hospital sector
by Askildsen, Jan Erik & Holmås, Tor Helge & Kaarboe, Oddvar
- 209-216 Do guidelines create uniformity in medical practice?
by de Jong, Judith D. & Groenewegen, Peter P. & Spreeuwenberg, Peter & Schellevis, François & Westert, Gert P.
- 217-220 "Broad" consent, exceptions to consent and the question of using biological samples for research purposes different from the initial collection purpose
by Petrini, Carlo
- 221-231 More equal but heavier: A longitudinal analysis of income-related obesity inequalities in an adult Swedish cohort
by Ljungvall, Åsa & Gerdtham, Ulf-G.
- 232-239 Inequality in mortality in Vietnam during a period of rapid transition
by Granlund, David & Chuc, Nguyen T. & Phuc, Ho D. & Lindholm, Lars
- 240-250 Life course determinants of racial and ethnic disparities in functional health trajectories
by Haas, Steven & Rohlfsen, Leah