Social Science & Medicine
2008, Volume 67, Issue 6
- 915-927 Individual factors explain neighbourhood variations in accidents to children under 5 years of age
by Reading, Richard & Jones, Andrew & Haynes, Robin & Daras, Konstantinos & Emond, Alan
- 928-937 Cancer survival in New Zealand: Ethnic, social and geographical inequalities
by Haynes, Robin & Pearce, Jamie & Barnett, Ross
- 938-946 Creating intoxigenic environments: Marketing alcohol to young people in Aotearoa New Zealand
by McCreanor, Tim & Barnes, Helen Moewaka & Kaiwai, Hector & Borell, Suaree & Gregory, Amanda
- 947-955 Is the duration of poverty and unemployment a risk factor for heavy drinking?
by Mossakowski, Krysia N.
- 956-964 Going ill to work - What personal circumstances, attitudes and work-related factors are associated with sickness presenteeism?
by Hansen, Claus D. & Andersen, Johan H.
- 965-970 The impact of systematic occupational health and safety management for occupational disorders and long-term work attendance
by Dellve, Lotta & Skagert, Katrin & Eklöf, Mats
- 971-981 Relationship of socioeconomic status to C-reactive protein and arterial stiffness in urban Japanese civil servants
by Saijo, Yasuaki & Yoshioka, Eiji & Fukui, Tomonori & Kawaharada, Mariko & Kishi, Reiko
- 982-987 Do social comparisons explain the association between income inequality and health?: Relative deprivation and perceived health among male and female Japanese individuals
by Kondo, Naoki & Kawachi, Ichiro & Subramanian, S.V. & Takeda, Yasuhisa & Yamagata, Zentaro
- 988-1001 Explaining gender differences in ill-health in South Korea: The roles of socio-structural, psychosocial, and behavioral factors
by Chun, Heeran & Khang, Young-Ho & Kim, Il-Ho & Cho, Sung-Il
- 1002-1008 Informal and formal care for elderly persons: How adult children's characteristics affect the use of formal care in Japan
by Hanaoka, Chie & Norton, Edward C.
- 1009-1017 How important are individual, household and commune characteristics in explaining utilization of maternal health services in Vietnam?
by Sepehri, Ardeshir & Sarma, Sisira & Simpson, Wayne & Moshiri, Saeed
- 1018-1027 Understanding a collaborative effort to reduce racial and ethnic disparities in health care: Contributions from social network analysis
by Gold, Marsha & Doreian, Patrick & Taylor, Erin Fries
- 1028-1037 Doing' public health and 'making' public health practitioners: Putting policy into practice in 'Starting Well
by Mackenzie, Mhairi
- 1038-1045 An exploration of food intolerance in the primary care setting: The general practitioner's experience
by Nelson, Mia & Ogden, Jane
2008, Volume 67, Issue 5
- 685-695 Ethics and the ethnography of medical research in Africa
by Molyneux, Sassy & Geissler, P. Wenzel
- 696-707 'He is now like a brother, I can even give him some blood' - Relational ethics and material exchanges in a malaria vaccine 'trial community' in The Gambia
by Geissler, P. Wenzel & Kelly, Ann & Imoukhuede, Babatunde & Pool, Robert
- 708-720 Taking social relationships seriously: Lessons learned from the informed consent practices of a vaccine trial on the Kenyan Coast
by Gikonyo, Caroline & Bejon, Philip & Marsh, Vicki & Molyneux, Sassy
- 721-733 Beginning community engagement at a busy biomedical research programme: Experiences from the KEMRI CGMRC-Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Kilifi, Kenya
by Marsh, Vicki & Kamuya, Dorcas & Rowa, Yvonne & Gikonyo, Caroline & Molyneux, Sassy
- 734-747 Promoting the social value of research in Kenya: Examining the practical aspects of collaborative partnerships using an ethical framework
by Lairumbi, Geoffrey Mbaabu & Molyneux, Sassy & Snow, Robert W. & Marsh, Kevin & Peshu, Norbert & English, Mike
- 748-759 The interface between research and policy: Experience from South Africa
by Gilson, Lucy & McIntyre, Di
- 760-770 The research, policy and practice interface: Reflections on using applied social research to promote equity in health in Malawi
by Theobald, Sally & Nhlema-Simwaka, Bertha
- 771-779 Ethical dilemmas of social science research on AIDS and orphanhood in Western Kenya
by Nyambedha, Erick Otieno
- 780-789 "I know he controls cancer": The meanings of religion among Black Caribbean and White British patients with advanced cancer
by Koffman, Jonathan & Morgan, Myfanwy & Edmonds, Polly & Speck, Peter & Higginson, Irene J.
- 790-798 HIV/AIDS-related stigma and discrimination: Accounts of HIV-positive Caribbean people in the United Kingdom
by Anderson, Moji & Elam, Gillian & Gerver, Sarah & Solarin, Ijeoma & Fenton, Kevin & Easterbrook, Philippa
- 799-807 Vulnerability, gender and "proxy negativity": Women in relationships with HIV-positive men in Australia
by Persson, Asha & Richards, Wendy
- 808-816 The weaker sex? Exploring lay understandings of gender differences in life expectancy: A qualitative study
by Emslie, Carol & Hunt, Kate
- 817-823 Seeking refuge from violence in street-based drug scenes: Women's experiences in North America's first supervised injection facility
by Fairbairn, Nadia & Small, Will & Shannon, Kate & Wood, Evan & Kerr, Thomas
- 824-833 Racial disparity in bacterial vaginosis: the role of socioeconomic status, psychosocial stress, and neighborhood characteristics, and possible implications for preterm birth
by Paul, Kathleen & Boutain, Doris & Manhart, Lisa & Hitti, Jane
- 834-843 Caring for independent lives: Geographies of caring for young adults with intellectual disabilities
by Power, Andrew
- 844-853 Coping with the Asian tsunami: Perspectives from Tamil Nadu, India on the determinants of resilience in the face of adversity
by Rajkumar, Anto P. & Premkumar, Titus S. & Tharyan, Prathap
- 854-862 The persistent problem of malaria: Addressing the fundamental causes of a global killer
by Stratton, Leeanne & O'Neill, Marie S. & Kruk, Margaret E. & Bell, Michelle L.
- 863-873 BCG vaccination and WHO's global strategy for tuberculosis control 1948-1983
by Brimnes, Niels
- 874-882 Valuing the ICECAP capability index for older people
by Coast, Joanna & Flynn, Terry N. & Natarajan, Lucy & Sproston, Kerry & Lewis, Jane & Louviere, Jordan J. & Peters, Tim J.
- 883-889 Comparison of two methods of eliciting time preference for future health states
by van der Pol, Marjon & Cairns, John
2008, Volume 67, Issue 4
- 487-496 Determinants of provider choice for malaria treatment: Experiences from The Gambia
by Wiseman, Virginia & Scott, Anthony & Conteh, Lesong & McElroy, Brendan & Stevens, Warren
- 497-504 Differences in influence patterns between groups predicting the adoption of a solar disinfection technology for drinking water in Bolivia
by Moser, Stephanie & Mosler, Hans-Joachim
- 505-510 Should we have confidence if a physician is accredited? A study of the relative impacts of accreditation and insurance payments on quality of care in the Philippines
by Quimbo, Stella A. & Peabody, John W. & Shimkhada, Riti & Woo, Kimberly & Solon, Orville
- 511-519 Health costs from short-term exposure to pesticides in Nepal
by Atreya, Kishor
- 520-528 Interaction of working conditions, job satisfaction, and sickness absences: Evidence from a representative sample of employees
by Böckerman, Petri & Ilmakunnas, Pekka
- 529-539 The association of major depressive episodes with income inequality and the human development index
by Cifuentes, Manuel & Sembajwe, Grace & Tak, SangWoo & Gore, Rebecca & Kriebel, David & Punnett, Laura
- 540-545 Predictors of female worker attitudes towards menstruation and the provision of help to institutionalized women with intellectual disabilities in Taiwan
by Chou, Yueh-Ching & Lu, Zxy-yann J. & Pu, Cheng-yun & Lan, Chung-Fu
- 546-556 Perceptions of medical interactions between healthcare providers and American Indian older adults
by Garroutte, Eva Marie & Sarkisian, Natalia & Goldberg, Jack & Buchwald, Dedra & Beals, Janette
- 557-567 The effects of harassment and victimization on self-rated health and mental health among Canadian adolescents
by Abada, Teresa & Hou, Feng & Ram, Bali
- 568-582 Actual or potential neighborhood resources and access to them: Testing hypotheses of social capital for the health of female caregivers
by Carpiano, Richard M.
- 583-589 Caregivers' experiences of caring for a husband with Parkinson's disease and psychotic symptoms
by Williamson, Caroline & Simpson, Jane & Murray, Craig D.
- 590-605 Health in China and India: A cross-country comparison in a context of rapid globalisation
by Dummer, Trevor J.B. & Cook, Ian G.
- 606-617 Social capital and self-rated health: Results from the US 2006 social capital survey of one community
by Schultz, Jennifer & O'Brien, A. Maureen & Tadesse, Bedassa
- 618-627 The impact of over-the-counter availability of "Plan B" on teens' contraceptive decision making
by Krishnamurti, Tamar & Eggers, Sara L. & Fischhoff, Baruch
- 628-637 Effectiveness of web-based education on Kenyan and Brazilian adolescents' knowledge about HIV/AIDS, abortion law, and emergency contraception: Findings from TeenWeb
by Halpern, Carolyn Tucker & Mitchell, Ellen M.H. & Farhat, Tilda & Bardsley, Phil
- 638-646 Religious treatments for drug addiction: An exploratory study in Brazil
by Sanchez, Zila van der Meer & Nappo, Solange A.
- 647-656 Dying cancer patients talk about euthanasia
by Eliott, Jaklin A. & Olver, Ian N.
- 657-665 Beliefs about common health problems and work: A qualitative study
by Barnes, Maria Carla & Buck, Rhiannon & Williams, Gareth & Webb, Katie & Aylward, Mansel
- 666-672 Longitudinal studies to detect geneÂ xÂ environment interactions in common disease - Bang for your buck? A commentary on Chaufan's "How much can a large population study on genes, environments, their interactions and common diseases contribute to the health of the American people?" (65:8, 1730-1741(2007))
by Robertson, Stephen & Poulton, Richie
- 673-674 A letter response to Chaufan's "How much can a large population study on genes, environments, their interactions and common diseases contribute to the health of the American people?" (65:8, 2007, 1730-1741)
by Tuckson, Reed V. & Willard, Huntington F.
- 675-683 In search of "genetic predispositions" to common diseases: Bang for your buck? Not really. A response to Robertson and Poulton, and Tuckson and Willard
by Chaufan, Claudia
2008, Volume 67, Issue 3
- 351-357 Stigma, prejudice, discrimination and health
by Stuber, Jennifer & Meyer, Ilan & Link, Bruce
- 358-367 Stigma and prejudice: One animal or two?
by Phelan, Jo C. & Link, Bruce G. & Dovidio, John F.
- 368-379 Social patterning of stress and coping: Does disadvantaged social statuses confer more stress and fewer coping resources?
by Meyer, Ilan H. & Schwartz, Sharon & Frost, David M.
- 380-388 Stigma, social inequality, and HIV risk disclosure among Dominican male sex workers
by Padilla, Mark & Castellanos, Daniel & Guilamo-Ramos, Vincent & Reyes, Armando Matiz & Sánchez Marte, Leonardo E. & Soriano, Martha Arredondo
- 389-397 Church ladies, good girls, and locas: Stigma and the intersection of gender, ethnicity, mental illness, and sexuality in relation to HIV risk
by Collins, Pamela Y. & von Unger, Hella & Armbrister, Adria
- 398-408 'Face' and the embodiment of stigma in China: The cases of schizophrenia and AIDS
by Yang, Lawrence Hsin & Kleinman, Arthur
- 409-419 Stigma and coercion in the context of outpatient treatment for people with mental illnesses
by Link, Bruce & Castille, Dorothy M. & Stuber, Jennifer
- 420-430 Smoking and the emergence of a stigmatized social status
by Stuber, Jennifer & Galea, Sandro & Link, Bruce G.
- 431-440 Rethinking theoretical approaches to stigma: A Framework Integrating Normative Influences on Stigma (FINIS)
by Pescosolido, Bernice A. & Martin, Jack K. & Lang, Annie & Olafsdottir, Sigrun
- 441-452 Perceived discrimination, race and health in South Africa
by Williams, David R. & Gonzalez, Hector M. & Williams, Stacey & Mohammed, Selina A. & Moomal, Hashim & Stein, Dan J.
- 453-462 Reasons for disclosing depression matter: The consequences of having egosystem and ecosystem goals
by Garcia, Julie A. & Crocker, Jennifer
- 463-472 Stigma and the ethics of public health: Not can we but should we
by Bayer, Ronald
- 473-475 Stigma, ethics and policy: A commentary on Bayer's "Stigma and the ethics of public health: Not can we but should we"
by Burris, Scott
- 476-477 What means this thing called stigma? A response to Burris
by Bayer, Ronald
- 478-486 Disparities and distrust: The implications of psychological processes for understanding racial disparities in health and health care
by Dovidio, John F. & Penner, Louis A. & Albrecht, Terrance L. & Norton, Wynne E. & Gaertner, Samuel L. & Shelton, J. Nicole
2008, Volume 67, Issue 2
- 205-217 The sequelae of political violence: Assessing trauma, suffering and dislocation in the Peruvian highlands
by Pedersen, Duncan & Tremblay, Jacques & Errázuriz, Consuelo & Gamarra, Jeffrey
- 218-227 Debating war-trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in an interdisciplinary arena
by Kienzler, Hanna
- 228-237 "Feeling blue" in Spanish: A qualitative inquiry of depression among Mexican immigrants
by Lackey, Gerald F.
- 238-252 Abortion and anxiety: What's the relationship?
by Steinberg, Julia Renee & Russo, Nancy F.
- 253-261 Conflict rationalisation: How family members cope with a diagnosis of brain stem death
by Long, Tracy & Sque, Magi & Addington-Hall, Julia
- 262-270 The elementary forms of care: An empirical approach to ethics in a South African Hospital
by Fassin, Didier
- 271-279 Consequences of a decentralized healthcare governance model: Measuring regional authority support for patient choice in Sweden
by Fredriksson, Mio & Winblad, Ulrika
- 280-291 Partnerships in primary care in Australia: Network structure, dynamics and sustainability
by Lewis, Jenny M. & Baeza, Juan I. & Alexander, Damon
- 292-300 District-based malaria epidemic early warning systems in East Africa: Perceptions of acceptability and usefulness among key staff at health facility, district and central levels
by Jones, Caroline & Abeku, Tarekegn A. & Rapuoda, Beth & Okia, Michael & Cox, Jonathan
- 301-310 The relationship of acceptance or denial of HIV-status to antiretroviral adherence among adult HIV patients in urban Botswana
by Nam, Sara L. & Fielding, Katherine & Avalos, Ava & Dickinson, Diana & Gaolathe, Tendani & Geissler, P. Wenzel
- 311-320 Mobilizing collective identity to reduce HIV risk among sex workers in Sonagachi, India: The boundaries, consciousness, negotiation framework
by Ghose, Toorjo & Swendeman, Dallas & George, Sheba & Chowdhury, Debasish
- 321-329 Social norms information enhances the efficacy of an appearance-based sun protection intervention
by Mahler, Heike I.M. & Kulik, James A. & Butler, Heather A. & Gerrard, Meg & Gibbons, Frederick X.
- 330-340 Socioeconomic status and health: The role of subjective social status
by Demakakos, Panayotes & Nazroo, James & Breeze, Elizabeth & Marmot, Michael
- 341-349 Measuring the school impact on child obesity
by Procter, Kimberley L. & Rudolf, Mary C. & Feltbower, Richard G. & Levine, Ronnie & Connor, Anne & Robinson, Michael & Clarke, Graham P.
2008, Volume 67, Issue 1
- 1-9 Framing disease: An underappreciated mechanism for the social patterning of health
by Aronowitz, Robert
- 10-13 A case of old wine in re-labeled bottles? A commentary on Aronowitz
by Kunitz, Stephen J.
- 14-17 Out from under the skin: Disease etiology, biology and society: A commentary on Aronowitz
by Fullwiley, Duana
- 18-19 Revisiting labeling theory and health: A commentary on Aronowitz
by Nathanson, Constance
- 20-22 Rejoinder to commentaries on "Framing disease: an underappreciated mechanism for the social patterning of health"
by Aronowitz, Robert
- 23-30 Pathways to depression: The impact of neighborhood violent crime on inner-city residents in Baltimore, Maryland, USA
by Curry, Aaron & Latkin, Carl & Davey-Rothwell, Melissa
- 31-37 Does neighborhood violence lead to depression among caregivers of children with asthma?
by Tonorezos, Emily S. & Breysse, Patrick N. & Matsui, Elizabeth C. & McCormack, Meredith C. & Curtin-Brosnan, Jean & Williams, D'Ann & Hansel, Nadia N. & Eggleston, Peyton A. & Diette, Gregory B.
- 38-46 An examination of processes linking perceived neighborhood disorder and obesity
by Burdette, Amy M. & Hill, Terrence D.
- 47-56 Shifting accountability: A longitudinal qualitative study of diabetes causation accounts
by Lawton, Julia & Peel, Elizabeth & Parry, Odette & Douglas, Margaret
- 57-67 Illness experience in fibromyalgia syndrome: A metasynthesis of qualitative studies
by Sim, Julius & Madden, Sue
- 68-78 Health, healing and recovery: Therapeutic landscapes and the everyday lives of breast cancer survivors
by English, Jennifer & Wilson, Kathi & Keller-Olaman, Sue
- 79-87 The meaning of the survivor identity for women with breast cancer
by Kaiser, Karen
- 88-100 The effects of household joblessness on mental health
by Scutella, Rosanna & Wooden, Mark
- 101-110 Export of health services from developing countries: The case of Tunisia
by Lautier, Marc
- 111-121 What do people value when they provide unpaid care for an older person? A meta-ethnography with interview follow-up
by Al-Janabi, Hareth & Coast, Joanna & Flynn, Terry N.
- 122-127 Transitions into informal caregiving and out of paid employment of women in their 50s
by Berecki-Gisolf, Janneke & Lucke, Jayne & Hockey, Richard & Dobson, Annette
- 128-136 The two facets of electronic care surveillance: An exploration of the views of older people who live with monitoring devices
by Essén, Anna
- 137-146 What influences referrals within community palliative care services? A qualitative case study
by Walshe, Catherine & Chew-Graham, Carolyn & Todd, Chris & Caress, Ann
- 147-151 Are 'anonymous' and 'non-directed' prerequisites for living altruistic donation? The views of transplant physicians from France and Québec
by Fortin, Marie-Chantal & Dion-Labrie, Marianne & Hébert, Marie-Josée & Achille, Marie & Doucet, Hubert
- 152-160 Contending visions in the evolution of genetic medicine: The case of cancer genetic services in Ontario, Canada
by Miller, Fiona Alice & Giacomini, Mita & Ahern, Catherine
- 161-164 Reducing child mortality in Nigeria: A case study of immunization and systemic factors
by Ngowu, Rufus & Larson, James S. & Kim, Min Su
- 165-176 Who's talking? Communication between health providers and HIV-infected adults related to herbal medicine for AIDS treatment in western Uganda
by Langlois-Klassen, Deanne & Kipp, Walter & Rubaale, Tom
- 177-182 Using 'complexity' for improving educational research in health care
by Cooper, Helen & Geyer, Robert
- 183-194 Tacit and encoded knowledge in the use of standardised outcome measures in multidisciplinary team decision making: A case study of in-patient neurorehabilitation
by Greenhalgh, Joanne & Flynn, Rob & Long, Andrew F. & Tyson, Sarah
- 195-203 Qualitative research and the politics of knowledge in an age of evidence: Developing a research-based practice of immanent critique
by Mykhalovskiy, Eric & Armstrong, Pat & Armstrong, Hugh & Bourgeault, Ivy & Choiniere, Jackie & Lexchin, Joel & Peters, Suzanne & White, Jerry
2008, Volume 66, Issue 12
- 2391-2400 Age and the balance of emotions
by Ross, Catherine E. & Mirowsky, John
- 2401-2412 Comparing sense of coherence, depressive symptoms and anxiety, and their relationships with health in a population-based study
by Konttinen, Hanna & Haukkala, Ari & Uutela, Antti
- 2413-2424 Azúcar y nervios: Explanatory models and treatment experiences of Hispanics with diabetes and depression
by Cabassa, Leopoldo J. & Hansen, Marissa C. & Palinkas, Lawrence A. & Ell, Kathleen
- 2425-2435 What affects the uptake of screening for bowel cancer using a faecal occult blood test (FOBt): A qualitative study
by Chapple, Alison & Ziebland, Sue & Hewitson, Paul & McPherson, Ann
- 2436-2447 How Japanese parents of deaf children arrive at decisions regarding pediatric cochlear implantation surgery: A qualitative study
by Okubo, Suguru & Takahashi, Miyako & Kai, Ichiro
- 2448-2459 Preferences and choices for care and health insurance
by van den Berg, Bernard & Van Dommelen, Paula & Stam, Piet & Laske-Aldershof, Trea & Buchmueller, Tom & Schut, Frederik T.
- 2460-2473 Community-based health insurance and access to maternal health services: Evidence from three West African countries
by Smith, Kimberly V. & Sulzbach, Sara
- 2474-2485 Social services utilization by adults with intellectual disabilities and their families
by Chou, Yueh-Ching & Lee, Yue-Chune & Lin, Li-Chan & Chang, Ai-Ning & Huang, Wei-Yi
- 2486-2494 When to seek health care: A duration analysis for malaria patients in Nepal
by Sharma, Vijaya Raj
- 2495-2505 Practicing research ethics: Private-sector physicians & pharmaceutical clinical trials
by Fisher, Jill A.
- 2506-2519 Best research - For what? Best health - For whom? A critical exploration of primary care research using discourse analysis
by Shaw, Sara E. & Greenhalgh, Trisha
- 2520-2531 Biomedical scientists' perception of the social sciences in health research
by Albert, Mathieu & Laberge, Suzanne & Hodges, Brian D. & Regehr, Glenn & Lingard, Lorelei
- 2532-2543 The expansion of abnormality and the biomedical norm: Neonatal screening, prenatal diagnosis and cystic fibrosis in France
by Vailly, Joëlle
- 2544-2554 What British women say matters to them about donating an aborted fetus to stem cell research: A focus group study
by Pfeffer, Naomi
- 2555-2561 A multilevel examination of exercise intention and behavior during pregnancy
by Hausenblas, Heather & Downs, Danielle Symons & Giacobbi, Peter & Tuccitto, Danny & Cook, Brian
- 2562-2572 Brittle bones, pain and fractures - Lay constructions of osteoporosis among Norwegian women attending the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study (HUNT)
by Skolbekken, John-Arne & Østerlie, Wenche & Forsmo, Siri
- 2573-2584 Factors that influence body image representations of black Muslim women
by Odoms-Young, Angela
- 2585-2595 You are what you eat? Vegetarianism, health and identity
by Fox, Nick & Ward, Katie J.
- 2596-2609 How socio-economic status contributes to participation in leisure-time physical activity
by Cerin, Ester & Leslie, Eva
2008, Volume 66, Issue 11
- 2185-2194 The Cedar Project: Historical trauma, sexual abuse and HIV risk among young Aboriginal people who use injection and non-injection drugs in two Canadian cities
by For the Cedar Project Partnership & Pearce, Margo E. & Christian, Wayne M. & Patterson, Katharina & Norris, Kat & Moniruzzaman, Akm & Craib, Kevin J.P. & Schechter, Martin T. & Spittal, Patricia M.
- 2195-2205 My peers, my friend, and I: Peer interactions and somatic complaints in boys and girls
by Jellesma, Francine C. & Rieffe, Carolien & Terwogt, Mark Meerum
- 2206-2217 Beefing up with the Chans: Evidence for the effects of relative income and income inequality on health from the China Health and Nutrition Survey
by Chen, Zhuo & Meltzer, David
- 2218-2229 The association of fast food, fruit and vegetable prices with dietary intakes among US adults: Is there modification by family income?
by Beydoun, May A. & Powell, Lisa M. & Wang, Youfa
- 2230-2239 Eating patterns may mediate the association between marital status, body mass index, and blood cholesterol levels in apparently healthy men and women from the ATTICA study
by Yannakoulia, Mary & Panagiotakos, Demosthenes & Pitsavos, Christos & Skoumas, Yannis & Stafanadis, Christodoulos
- 2240-2252 The contribution of job characteristics to socioeconomic inequalities in incidence of myocardial infarction
by Huisman, Martijn & Van Lenthe, Frank & Avendano, Mauricio & Mackenbach, Johan
- 2253-2267 Neighborhoods and disability in later life
by Freedman, Vicki A. & Grafova, Irina B. & Schoeni, Robert F. & Rogowski, Jeannette
- 2268-2280 Contextual social capital as a risk factor for poor self-rated health: A multilevel analysis
by Engström, Karin & Mattsson, Fredrik & Järleborg, Anders & Hallqvist, Johan
- 2281-2295 Welfare state regimes and differences in self-perceived health in Europe: A multilevel analysis
by Eikemo, Terje Andreas & Bambra, Clare & Judge, Ken & Ringdal, Kristen
- 2296-2307 The economic impact of chronic diseases: How do households respond to shocks? Evidence from Russia
by Abegunde, Dele Olawale & Stanciole, Anderson E.
- 2308-2320 Equity in health care financing in Palestine: The value-added of the disaggregate approach
by Abu-Zaineh, Mohammad & Mataria, Awad & Luchini, Stéphane & Moatti, Jean-Paul
- 2321-2334 Doing well by doing good. The relationship between formal volunteering and self-reported health and happiness
by Borgonovi, Francesca
- 2335-2345 Enhancing the conceptual clarity of the activity and participation components of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health
by Badley, Elizabeth M.
- 2346-2355 The creation of the concept of an antidepressant: An historical analysis
by Moncrieff, Joanna
- 2356-2365 Communicating a terminal prognosis in a palliative care setting: Deficiencies in current communication training protocols
by Wittenberg-Lyles, Elaine M. & Goldsmith, Joy & Sanchez-Reilly, Sandra & Ragan, Sandra L.
- 2366-2377 'I don't do like I used to do': A grounded theory approach to conceptualising awareness in people with moderate to severe dementia living in long-term care
by Clare, Linda & Rowlands, Julia & Bruce, Errollyn & Surr, Claire & Downs, Murna
- 2378-2389 Indigenous women and smoking during pregnancy: Knowledge, cultural contexts and barriers to cessation
by Wood, Lisa & France, Kathryn & Hunt, Kerry & Eades, Sandra & Slack-Smith, Linda
2008, Volume 66, Issue 10
- 2067-2075 Future health systems: Why future? Why now?
by Bloom, Gerald & Standing, Hilary
- 2076-2087 Markets, information asymmetry and health care: Towards new social contracts
by Bloom, Gerald & Standing, Hilary & Lloyd, Robert
- 2088-2095 The health professions and the performance of future health systems in low-income countries: Support or obstacle?
by Dussault, Gilles
- 2096-2107 Producing effective knowledge agents in a pluralistic environment: What future for community health workers?
by Standing, H. & Chowdhury, A. Mushtaque R.
- 2108-2121 Scaling-up antiretroviral treatment in Southern African countries with human resource shortage: How will health systems adapt?
by Van Damme, Wim & Kober, Katharina & Kegels, Guy
- 2122-2132 Information and communications technology for future health systems in developing countries
by Lucas, Henry
- 2133-2144 Regulating India's health services: To what end? What future?
by Peters, David H. & Muraleedharan, V.R.
- 2145-2156 Ownership, control, and contention: Challenges for the future of healthcare in Malaysia
by CHEE, Heng Leng
- 2157-2167 New therapeutic landscapes in Africa: Parental categories and practices in seeking infant health in the Republic of Guinea
by Leach, Melissa A. & Fairhead, James R. & Millimouno, Dominique & Diallo, Alpha Ahmadou
- 2168-2172 From life insurance to safer sex - Reflections of a marketing man
by Mackay, Bruce
- 2173-2184 Engaging citizens: Lessons from building Brazil's national health system
by Cornwall, Andrea & Shankland, Alex
2008, Volume 66, Issue 9
- 1871-1881 Neo-materialist theory and the temporal relationship between income inequality and longevity change
by Clarkwest, Andrew
- 1882-1894 A commentary on "Neo-materialist theory and the temporal relationship between income inequality and longevity change"
by Zimmerman, Frederick J.
- 1895-1902 Sensitive periods and first difference models: Integrating etiologic thinking into econometric techniques: A commentary on Clarkwest's "Neo-materialist theory and the temporal relationship between income inequality and longevity change"
by Glymour, M. Maria
- 1903-1908 Confounding and process-model fit in research on income inequality and population health: a rejoinder to Zimmerman and Glymour
by Clarkwest, Andrew
- 1909-1914 How pharmaceutical industry funding affects trial outcomes: Causal structures and responses
by Sismondo, Sergio
- 1915-1927 Exploring emerging technologies using metaphors - A study of orphan drugs and pharmacogenomics
by Boon, Wouter & Moors, Ellen
- 1928-1938 Civil society organisations and global health initiatives: Problems of legitimacy
by Doyle, Cathal & Patel, Preeti
- 1939-1950 Which aspects of non-clinical quality of care are most important? Results from WHO's general population surveys of "health systems responsiveness" in 41 countries
by Valentine, Nicole & Darby, Charles & Bonsel, Gouke J.
- 1951-1962 Influence of socioeconomic status, wealth and financial empowerment on gender differences in health and healthcare utilization in later life: evidence from India
by Roy, Kakoli & Chaudhuri, Anoshua
- 1963-1966 Overlooking undernutrition? Using a composite index of anthropometric failure to assess how underweight misses and misleads the assessment of undernutrition in young children
by Nandy, Shailen & Jaime Miranda, J.
- 1967-1978 The effect of income and occupation on body mass index among women in the Cebu Longitudinal Health and Nutrition Surveys (1983-2002)
by Colchero, M. Arantxa & Caballero, Benjamin & Bishai, David
- 1979-1989 The crowding-out effects of tobacco and alcohol where expenditure shares are low: Analyzing expenditure data for Taiwan
by Pu, Cheng-yun & Lan, Virginia & Chou, Yiing-Jenq & Lan, Chung-fu
- 1990-1998 Belief in ghost month can help prevent drowning deaths: A natural experiment on the effects of cultural beliefs on risky behaviours
by Yang, Chiang-Hsing & Huang, Yu-Tung & Janes, Craig & Lin, Kuan-Chia & Lu, Tsung-Hsueh
- 1999-2010 Is social capital associated with HIV risk in rural South Africa?
by Pronyk, Paul M. & Harpham, Trudy & Morison, Linda A. & Hargreaves, James R. & Kim, Julia C. & Phetla, Godfrey & Watts, Charlotte H. & Porter, John D.
- 2011-2022 The role of educational level and job characteristics on the health of young adults
by Karmakar, Sunita D. & Breslin, F. Curtis
- 2023-2034 Enduring consequences of parenting for risk behaviors from adolescence into early adulthood
by Roche, Kathleen M. & Ahmed, Saiffudin & Blum, Robert W.
- 2035-2047 Effects of spouses' socioeconomic characteristics on mortality among men and women in a Norwegian longitudinal study
by Skalická, Vera & Kunst, Anton E.
- 2048-2060 Neighborhood influences on the association between maternal age and birthweight: A multilevel investigation of age-related disparities in health
by Cerdá, Magdalena & Buka, Stephen L. & Rich-Edwards, Janet W.
- 2061-2063 Poverty and mental illness: Fact or fiction? A commentary on Das, Do, Friedman, McKenzie & Scott (65:3, 2007, 467-480)
by Corrigall, Joanne & Lund, Crick & Patel, Vikram & Plagerson, Sophie & Funk, Michelle K.
- 2064-2066 Revisiting the relationship between mental health and poverty in developing countries: a response to Corrigall
by Das, Jishnu & Do, Quy-Toan & Friedman, Jed & McKenzie, David & Scott, Kinnon
2008, Volume 66, Issue 8
- 1659-1669 Epidemiologic analysis of racial/ethnic disparities: Some fundamental issues and a cautionary example
by Kaufman, Jay S.
- 1670-1674 Functional or futile?: The (in)utility of methodological critiques of genetic research on racial disparities in health. A commentary on Kaufman's "Epidemiologic analysis of racial/ethnic disparities: Some fundamental issues and a cautionary example"
by Frank, Reanne
- 1675-1677 Arguments prove nothing unless verified. A commentary on Kaufman's "Epidemiologic analysis of racial/ethnic disparities: Some fundamental issues and a cautionary example"
by Exner, Derek V. & Cohn, Jay N.
- 1678-1680 Epidemiologic analysis of racial/ethnic disparities: A rejoinder to Frank and Exner
by Kaufman, Jay S.
- 1681-1698 Associations of job strain and working overtime with adverse health behaviors and obesity: Evidence from the Whitehall II Study, Helsinki Health Study, and the Japanese Civil Servants Study
by Lallukka, Tea & Lahelma, Eero & Rahkonen, Ossi & Roos, Eva & Laaksonen, Elina & Martikainen, Pekka & Head, Jenny & Brunner, Eric & Mosdol, Annhild & Marmot, Michael & Sekine, Michikazu & Nasermoaddeli, Ali & Kagamimori, Sadanobu
- 1699-1708 Economic development as a determinant of injury mortality - A longitudinal approach
by Moniruzzaman, Syed & Andersson, Ragnar
- 1709-1718 Achieving better measles immunization in developing countries: does higher coverage imply lower inequality?
by Meheus, Filip & Van Doorslaer, Eddy
- 1719-1732 Is inequality at the heart of it? Cross-country associations of income inequality with cardiovascular diseases and risk factors
by Kim, Daniel & Kawachi, Ichiro & Hoorn, Stephen Vander & Ezzati, Majid
- 1733-1749 Is well-being U-shaped over the life cycle?
by Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J.
- 1750-1759 Healthy and happy in Europe? On the association between happiness and life expectancy over time
by Bjørnskov, Christian
- 1760-1771 Health-related quality of life among Mexican Americans living in colonias at the Texas-Mexico border
by Mier, Nelda & Ory, Marcia G. & Zhan, Dongling & Conkling, Martha & Sharkey, Joseph R. & Burdine, James N.
- 1772-1783 Tobacco use in sub-Sahara Africa: Estimates from the demographic health surveys
by Pampel, Fred
- 1784-1796 A grim contradiction: The practice and consequences of corporate social responsibility by British American Tobacco in Malaysia
by Barraclough, Simon & Morrow, Martha
- 1797-1808 Potential impacts of iron biofortification in India
by Stein, Alexander J. & Meenakshi, J.V. & Qaim, Matin & Nestel, Penelope & Sachdev, H.P.S. & Bhutta, Zulfiqar A.
- 1809-1816 Effects of health literacy on health status and health service utilization amongst the elderly
by Cho, Young Ik & Lee, Shoou-Yih D. & Arozullah, Ahsan M. & Crittenden, Kathleen S.
- 1817-1827 Collective self-esteem and the onset of chronic conditions and reduced activity in a longitudinal study of aging
by Bailis, Daniel S. & Chipperfield, Judith G. & Helgason, Tiffany R.
- 1828-1840 Social determinants of psychological distress in a nationally-representative sample of South African adults
by Myer, Landon & Stein, Dan J. & Grimsrud, Anna & Seedat, Soraya & Williams, David R.
- 1841-1847 Mental health of female survivors of human trafficking in Nepal
by Tsutsumi, Atsuro & Izutsu, Takashi & Poudyal, Amod K. & Kato, Seika & Marui, Eiji
- 1848-1862 Health work, female sex workers and HIV/AIDS: Global and local dimensions of stigma and deviance as barriers to effective interventions
by Scambler, Graham & Paoli, Frederique
- 1863-1869 Chemotherapy as language: Sound symbolism in cancer medication names
by Abel, Gregory A. & Glinert, Lewis H.
2008, Volume 66, Issue 7
- 1451-1456 Promoting research participation: Why not advertise altruism?
by Williams, Brian & Entwistle, Vikki & Haddow, Gill & Wells, Mary
- 1457-1460 A comprehensive evidence-based approach is needed for promoting participation in health research: A commentary on Williams
by Fry, Craig L.
- 1461-1462 Placing evidence in context: A response to Fry's commentary
by Williams, Brian & Entwistle, Vikki A. & Haddow, Gill & Wells, Mary
- 1463-1473 Impact of methamphetamine precursor chemical legislation, a suppression policy, on the demand for drug treatment
by Cunningham, James K. & Liu, Lon-Mu