The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance
1998, Volume 38, Issue 1
- 61-72 Determinants of allocative efficiency losses from oligopoly power
by Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Bhuyan, Sanjib
- 73-91 An agency analysis of the effect of long-term performance plans on managerial decision making
by Ferris, Stephen P. & Kumar, Raman & Sant, Rajiv & Sopariwala, Parvez R.
- 93-109 Institutional portfolio composition: An examination of the prudent investment hypothesis
by Eakins, Stanley G. & Stansell, Stanley R. & Wertheim, Paul E.
- 111-128 Fragmentation, competition, and limit orders: New evidence from interday spreads
by Porter, David C. & Thatcher, John G.
- 129-148 The bid-ask bias and the size effect: A test of the Blume-Stambaugh bid-ask bias effect hypothesis
by Branch, Ben & Echevarria, David P.
1997, Volume 37, Issue Supplement 1
- 183-188 Special issue: The economics of immigrant skill and adjustment
by Chiswick, Barry R.
- 189-208 The decline in immigrant entry earnings: Less transferable skills or lower ability?
by Duleep, Harriet Orcutt & Regets, Mark C.
- 209-228 The increase in idleness of immigrant arrivals: The role of age at arrival, refugees and country of origin
by Fry, Richard
- 229-243 The educational attainment of immigrants: Changes over time
by Cohen, Yinon & Zach, Tzippi & Chiswick, Barry
- 245-262 The effects of education, parental background and ethnic concentration on language
by Dustmann, Christian
- 263-284 The internal migration of immigrants: Israel 1969-1972
by Beenstock, Michael
- 285-313 Post-migration investment in education by immigrants in the United States
by Khan, Aliya Hashmi
- 315-343 The progress of Mexican and white non-Hispanic immigrants in California and Texas, 1980 to 1990
by Reimers, Cordelia W.
- 345-360 What difference does a country make? Earnings by Soviets in the Soviet Union and in the United States
by Gang, Ira N. & Stuart, Robert C.
- 361-377 Unemployment and wages of ethnic Germans
by Bauer, Thomas & Zimmermann, Klaus F.
- 379-397 Immigrant performance in Germany: Labor earnings of ethnic German migrants and foreign guest-workers
by Schmidt, Christoph M.
1997, Volume 37, Issue 4
- 745-746 Special section: Native Americans: Then and now
by Chiswick, Barry R.
- 747-767 Population equilibrium in primitive societies
by Locay, Luis
- 769-785 Conservation-Native American style
by Anderson, Terry L.
- 787-807 The determinants of earnings differentials for indigenous Americans: Human capital, location, or discrimination?
by Hurst, Michael
- 809-821 Differences in education and earnings across ethnic groups in Guatemala
by Patrinos, Harry Anthony
- 823-841 Temporary layoffs in the U.S. unemployment insurance system: A comparison of two experience rating methods
by Cook, Zena
- 843-857 Consumer expectations and cyclical durations
by Abderrezak, Ali
- 859-885 Dynamic linkages and the propagation mechanism driving major international stock markets: An analysis of the pre- and post-crash eras
by Masih, Abul M. M. & Masih, Rumi
- 887-903 An analysis of stock market transactions data
by McCullough, B. D.
- 905-921 The impact of the WARN Act on firm value
by Alexander, John Jr. & Spivey, Michael F.
1997, Volume 37, Issue 3
- 579-603 Medicare, access, and physicians' willingness to accept new Medicare patients
by Gillis, Kurt D. & Lee, David W.
- 605-631 Adoption of innovations in higher education
by Getz, Malcolm & Siegfried, John J. & Anderson, Kathryn H.
- 633-645 City size and geographic segmentation in the municipal bond market
by Rivers, Mary Jean & Yates, Barbara M.
- 647-665 An analysis of the role of firm reputation in the market's reaction to corporate dividends
by Brucato, Peter Jr. & Smith, David M.
- 667-682 An alternative specification for intraday simultaneity in spot and futures markets
by Mercer, Jeffrey M.
- 683-696 Mean reversion in asset returns with varying debt and equity components: Evidence and implications from preferred stock
by Chen, Carl R. & Sauer, David A.
- 697-707 Jensen, Myers-Majluf, free cash flow and the returns to bidders
by McCabe, George M. & Yook, Ken C.
- 709-724 Further evidence on corporate bonds with event-risk covenants: Inferences from Standard and Poor's and Moody's bond ratings
by Bae, Sung C. & Klein, Daniel P.
- 725-737 The individual investor and the weekend effect: A reexamination with intraday data
by Brooks, Raymond M. & Kim, Hongshik
- 739-743 Accrued interest and bond prices
by Gosnell, Thomas F. & Harikumar, T. & Huson, Andrea J.
1997, Volume 37, Issue 2
- 399-403 Introduction
by Kauffman, Kyle D.
- 405-417 Explaining the rise in antebellum pauperism, 1850-1860: New evidence
by Kiesling, L. Lynne & Margo, Robert A.
- 419-438 Shutting down welfare: Two cases from America's past
by Hannon, Joan Underhill
- 439-448 Was there a nineteenth century welfare magnet in the United States?: Preliminary results from New York City and Brooklyn
by Kauffman, Kyle D. & Kiesling, L. Lynne
- 449-468 Kicking the Malthusian vice: Lessons from the abolition of "welfare" in the late nineteenth century
by Ziliak, Stephen T.
- 469-489 The evolution of suburban and radial rail passenger transportation in the United States
by Due, John F.
- 491-510 Covariance risk, consumption risk, and international stock market returns
by Lee, Wai
- 511-522 Price effects of stock market liberalization in Taiwan
by Kwan, Felix B. & Reyes, Mario G.
- 523-545 Using nonlinear dynamics to test for market efficiency among the major U.S. stock exchanges
by Kohers, Theodor & Pandey, Vivek & Kohers, Gerald
- 547-562 Bankrupt stocks, reorganization plans and market efficiency: Are bankrupt stocks overpriced?
by Hubbard, Jefe & Stephenson, Kevin
- 563-578 A tax motivation for smoothing dividends
by Rozycki, John J.
1997, Volume 37, Issue 1
- 1-21 The viability of minority-owned banks
by Lawrence, Edward C.
- 23-37 Discrimination in mortgage lending: The impact on minority defaults in the Stafford Loan program
by Boyd, Laura A.
- 39-57 Thrift cost inefficiencies: Did deregulation help?
by Pantalone, Coleen C. & Platt, Marjorie B.
- 59-77 The capital structure of hospitals and reimbursement policy
by Ligon, James A.
- 79-95 Capital depreciation and investment demand
by Terregrossa, Ralph A.
- 97-114 Post offering earnings performance of firms that issue seasoned equity: The role of growth opportunities
by Lee, Hei Wai
- 115-137 The German reunification, changing capital market conditions, and the performance of German initial public offerings
by Steib, Stefan & Mohan, Nancy
- 139-150 The U.S. dollar in global money markets: A multivariate cointegration analysis
by Lin, Antsong & Swanson, Peggy E.
- 151-183 Functional form of stock return model: Some international evidence
by Chaudhury, M. M. & Lee, C. F.
1996, Volume 36, Issue Supplement 1
- 1-4 Introduction
by Baer, Werner & Williamson, H. Jr.
- 5-8 Economics at Illinois: The first hundred years
by Leuthold, Jane H.
- 9-16 Keynote address: Financial markets at the end of the 20th century
by Corzine, Jon
- 17-35 Bounded rationality and game theory
by Samuelson, Larry
- 37-60 On time series econometrics
by Cribari-Neto, Francisco
- 61-72 The past and future of economic history in economics
by White, Eugene N.
- 73-84 The use of economics in the public policy debate in telecommunications
by Cornell, Nina W.
- 85-100 Emerging policy issues in development finance
by Gooptu, Sudarshan
- 101-114 Capital flows and economic growth: Reflections on Latin America in the 1990s
by Welch, John H.
- 115-151 Economic policy making in sub-Saharan Africa and IMF involvement
by Fasano-Filho, Ugo
- 153-160 The role of the economist in business
by Carlson, George N.
- 161-168 Economics and the media
by Boltz, Paul W.
1996, Volume 36, Issue 4
- 417-429 Pensions, non-discrimination policies, and the employment of older workers
by Garen, John & Berger, Mark & Scott, Frank
- 451-473 International linkages between short-term real interest rates
by Fujihara, Roger A. & Mougoue, Mbodja
- 475-484 Time series estimation of the bond default risk premium
by Clinebell, John M. & Kahl, Douglas K. & Stevens, Jerry L.
- 485-494 The relationship between budget deficits and capital inflows: Further econometric evidence
by Murthy, N. R. Vasudeva & Phillips, Joseph M.
- 507-527 The Stock market impact of social pressure: The South African divestment case
by Lytle, Laurian Casson & Joy, O. Maurice
- 529-538 Conditional heteroskedasticity adjusted market model and an event study
by Corhay, A. & Rad, A. Tourani
1996, Volume 36, Issue 3
- 269-270 Preface to minisymposium on drawing the right lessons from the S&L mess
by Kane, Edward J.
- 271-290 Opportunity cost of capital forbearance during the final years of the FSLIC mess
by Kane, Edward J. & Yu, Min-Teh
- 291-310 Opportunity costs incurred by the RTC in cleaning up S&L insolvencies
by Ely, David P. & Varaiya, Nikhil P.
- 311-325 Response of uninsured depositors to impending S&L failures: Evidence of depositor discipline
by Goldberg, Lawrence G. & Hudgins, Sylvia C.
- 327-346 Equilibrium term structure relations of risky assets in incomplete markets
by Eckwert, Bernhard
- 347-363 Mutual fund investment performance
by Droms, William G. & Walker, David A.
- 365-375 The cross-section of stock returns and survivorship bias: Evidence from delisted stocks
by Davis, James L.
- 377-394 Interpreting mean reversion in stock returns
by Gangopadhyay, Partha & Reinganum, Marc R.
- 395-409 Do cash flow variables improve the predictive accuracy of a Cox proportional hazards model for bank failure?
by Henebry, Kathleen L.
- 411-415 A brief note on the macroeconomic consequences of random production failures
by Matthews, Peter Hans
1996, Volume 36, Issue 2
- 129-130 Introductory remarks
by Sorensen, Peter Birch
- 131-152 The changing role of the public sector: An ex-post view of the privatization process in Argentina
by Galiani, Sebastian & Petrecolla, Diego
- 153-165 The changing role of the state in Brazil
by Werneck, Rogerio L. F.
- 167-181 The changing role of the public sector: The Colombian case
by Carrasquilla, Alberto
- 183-195 Is one of the 'peace dividends' negative? Military expenditure and economic growth in the wealthy OECD countries
by Landau, Daniel
- 197-218 Simple vs. generalized interest rate and purchasing power parity models of exchange rates
by Zhou, Su & Mahdavi, Saeid
- 219-231 Risk and return in trading closed-end country funds: Can trading beat holding foreign stocks?
by Arak, Marcelle & Taylor, Dean
- 233-248 Cash flow instability and the demand for liquid assets by firms in Brazilian Manufacturing
by Falls, Gregory A. & Natke, Paul A.
- 249-268 The social costs of monopoly and regulation: Posner reconsidered again
by Mantell, Edmund H.
1996, Volume 36, Issue 1
- 1-16 Inflation and welfare in a stochastic production economy
by Mukherji, Nivedita
- 17-37 Trends in U.S. income inequality: Evidence from a panel of states
by Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S. & Levernier, William
- 39-54 Economics of scale and scope in small depository institutions: Evidence from U.S. cooperative banks
by Rezvanian, Rasoul & Mahdian, Seyed & Elyasiani, Elyas
- 55-64 Seigniorage and the Mexican financial crisis
by Loviscek, Anthony L.
- 65-87 Modelling money demand in the United Arab Emirates
by Darrat, Ali F. & Al-Mutawa, Ahmed
- 89-115 Overreaction to takeover speculation
by Zivney, Terry L. & Bertin, William J. & Torabzadeh, Khalil M.
- 117-126 Investor sentiment and the closed-end fund evidence: Impact of the January effect
by Leonard, David C. & Shull, David M.
1995, Volume 35, Issue 35
- 483-496 The impact of the Federal Reserve's source of strength policy on bank holding companies
by Schinski, Michael & Mullineaux, Donald
- 497-514 Market discipline by depositors: Evidence from reduced-form equations
by Park, Sangkyun
- 515-532 Employer search and worker-firm match quality
by Sicilian, Paul
- 533-550 The effects of ownership form on profit maximization and cost minimization behavior within municipal and cooperative electrical distribution utilities
by Claggett, E. Jr. & Hollas, Daniel R. & Stansell, Stanley R.
- 551-577 Economic growth in the American states: The end of convergence?
by Crihfield, John B. & Giertz, J. Fred & Mehta, Shekhar
- 579-593 Intertemporal stability in international stock market relationships: A revisit
by Tang, Gordon Y. N.
- 595-602 Adding mystery to the case of the missing currency
by Haughton, Jonathan
1995, Volume 35, Issue 4
- 339-363 Risk dominance and coordination failures in static games
by Straub, Paul G.
- 365-386 Smoking, self-selection and absenteeism
by Leigh, J. Paul
- 387-395 Earnings inequality narrows for young workers despite a widening wage structure
by Ragan, James Jr. & Bratsberg, Bernt
- 397-419 An empirical study of the corporate choice among common stock, convertible bonds and straight debt: A cash flow interpretation
by Lee, Hei-Wai & Gentry, James A.
- 421-449 Insider trading: Regulation, securities markets, and welfare under risk aversion
by Estrada, Javier
- 451-466 Business cycle asymmetry and the stock market
by Domian, Dale L. & Louton, David A.
- 467-480 Implications of multiple structural changes in event studies
by Burnett, John E. & Carroll, Carolyn & Thistle, Paul
1995, Volume 35, Issue 3
- 233-243 The stability of the demand for money and M1 velocity: Evidence from the sectoral data
by Butkiewicz, James L. & McConnell, Margaret Mary
- 245-256 Horizontal mergers of price-setting firms with sunk capacity costs
by Baik, Kyung Hwan
- 257-269 To pay or not to pay: Positive incentives as a calibrating device in the white indenture system
by Kauffman, Kyle D. & Cribari-Neto, Francisco
- 271-287 Local characteristics, contestability, and the dynamic structure of rural banking: A market study
by Devaney, Mike & Weber, Bill
- 289-303 The determinants of entry for black-owned commercial banks
by Price, Gregory N.
- 305-314 Racetrack wagering and the "uninformed" bettor: A study of market efficiency
by Swidler, Steve & Shaw, Ron
- 315-325 Compounding/discounting in continuous time
by Horvath, Philip A.
- 327-332 Point: "Competition and value-of-service pricing in the residential real estate brokerage market"
by O'Donnell, Shraon I. & Geurts, Tom G.
- 333-338 Counterpoint: "Competition and value-of-service pricing in the residential real estate brokerage market"
by Schroeter, John R.
1995, Volume 35, Issue 2
- 117-117 Futures markets in the 21st century
by Leuthold, Raymond M.
- 119-152 Aggregate income risks and hedging mechanisms
by Shiller, Robert J.
- 153-162 Optimal futures contract design
by Tashjian, Elizabeth
- 163-175 Electronic derivatives exchanges: Implicit mergers, network externalities, and standardization
by Domowitz, Ian
- 177-185 The role of economists in public policy
by Kaufman, George G.
- 187-206 The sensitivity in tests of the efficiency of a portfolio and portfolio performance measurement
by Choi, Yoon K.
- 207-223 Monetary policy indicators after deregulation
by Rossiter, R. D.
- 225-231 Conglomerate mergers and under-performance risk: A note
by Shih, Michael S. H.
1995, Volume 35, Issue 1
- 1-14 Predictable components in exchange rates
by Cochran, Steven J. & DeFina, Robert H.
- 15-39 Vouchers in a community choice model with zoning
by Rangazas, Peter
- 41-52 Evidence on the relationship between uncertainty and irreversible investment
by Episcopos, Athanasios
- 53-72 A cross-industry time-series analysis of quits
by Campbell, Carl III
- 73-87 Bridging the theory-practice gap in corporate finance: A survey of chief financial officers
by Trahan, Emery A. & Gitman, Lawrence J.
- 89-96 The pricing of risky corporate debt to be issued at par value
by Owenthal, Frankline & Langsen, Arnold & Benson, Clark
- 97-116 The volatility effect of option listing: Some Canadian evidence
by Elfakhani, Said & Chaudhury, Mohammed
1994, Volume 34, Issue Supplement 1
- 1-7 Exploration of critical issues in privatization, deregulation, and changing property rights: An introduction
by Baer, Werner & Conroy, Michael
- 9-42 The fiscal impact of privatization in Latin America
by Pinheiro, Armando Castelear & Schneider, Ben Ross
- 43-76 The politics of privatization and deregulation in Latin America
by Manzetti, Luigi
- 77-99 Transnational corporations, the neo-liberal agenda and regional integration: Establishing a policy framework
by Bannister, Geoffrey & Braga, C. A. Primo & Petry, Joe
- 101-116 Judicial systems and economic performance
by Sherwood, Robert M. & Shepherd, Geoffrey & De Souza, Celso Marcos
- 117-149 Authors' rights in Latin America
by Steinhardt, Jeffrey D. & Neff, Richard E.
- 151-177 Deregulation in Argentina: A policymaker's view
by Rojo, Pablo & Hoberman, Jeffrey
- 179-197 Regulatory issues in the privatization of public utilities: The chilean experience
by Bitran, E. & Serra, Pablo
- 199-216 Antitrust in post-privatization Latin America: An analysis of the Mexican airlines industry
by Hanson, Gordon H.
- 217-235 Privatization and performance in the Mexican financial services industry
by McComb, Robert P. & Gruben, William C. & Welch, John H.
- 237-259 Labor issues in Colombia's privatization: A comparative perspective
by Cardenas, Mauricio & Juarez, Carlos E.
- 261-280 Land, property rights and privatization in Brazil
by Mueller, Bernardo & Alston, Lee & Libecap, Gary D. & Schneider, Robert
- 281-299 The heavy burden of a divestiture strategy of privatization: Lessons from Germany's experiences for Latin American privatization?
by Krusselberg, Hans-Gunter
- 301-331 Lessons from the political economy of privatization and public sector reform in the Middle East and Southeast Asia
by Esfahani, Hadi Salehi
1994, Volume 34, Issue 4
- 305-316 Price and volume effects associated with changes in the Dow Jones Averages
by Polonchek, John & Krehbiel, Tim
- 317-331 Predictability of stock returns and real output
by Marathe, Achla & Shawky, Hany A.
- 333-345 The Phillips Curve: Evidence of a "lady or tiger dilemma"
by Samavati, Hedayeh & Dilts, David A. & Deitsch, Clarence R.
- 347-361 Deposit insurance and banking system risk: Some empirical evidence
by Shiers, Alden F.
- 363-373 Exploring the real interest rate puzzle
by Brewer, Elijah III & Kaufman, George G.
- 375-386 Trends in institutional affiliation of authors who publish in the three leading general interest economics journals
by Siegfried, John J.
- 387-402 Institutional investors, antitakeover defenses and success of hostile takeover bids
by Duggal, Rakesh & Millar, James A.
- 403-412 Do investor relations make a difference?
by Farraghe, Edward J. & Kleiman, Robert & Bazaz, Mohammed S.
1994, Volume 34, Issue 3
- 227-239 An empirical examination of racial and gender differences in wage distributions
by Schmitz, Susanne & Williams, Donald R. & Gabriel, Paul E.
- 241-259 Common stochastic trends in pacific rim stock markets
by Chung, Pin J. & Liu, Donald J.
- 261-282 Vertical integration efficiencies and electric utilities: A cost complementarity perspective
by Gilsdorf, Keith
- 283-299 A methodological investigation of risk exposure of bank off-balance sheet loan commitment activities
by Hassan, M. Kabir & Sackley, William H.
- 301-307 Sufficient conditions for an inverse relationship between productivity and employment
by Firoozi, Fathali
- 309-325 The underpricing of 'unit' initial public offerings
by Jain, Bharat A.
- 327-334 A re-examination of the operating leverage-financial leverage tradeoff hypothesis
by Dugan, Michael T. & Minyard, Donald H. & Shriver, Keith A.
1994, Volume 34, Issue 2
- 121-130 A natural experiment in styles of capitalism: Professional sports
by Gramlich, Edward M.
- 131-143 Below-minimum-wage workers: Implications for minimum-wage models
by Schiller, Bradley R.
- 145-157 Coalition dynamics, social norms, and the persistence of inflation
by Daniel G. Arge M.
- 159-172 The relative efficiency of inflation indicators: A vector autoregressive study
by Deravi, Keivan & Hegji, Charles E.
- 173-182 Plant-level scale economies and industrial concentration
by Eckard, E. Jr.
- 183-193 On the stationarity of savings in the United States
by Brodsky, Noel
- 195-211 The impact of exchange rate changes on investment in research and development
by Zietz, Joachim & Fayissa, Bichaka
- 213-225 Factor substitution among real and financial assets in Brazilian manufacturing firms
by Falls, Gregory A. & Natke, Pauls A.
1994, Volume 34, Issue 1
- 1-11 Finance, investment, and their macroeconomic implications
by Gordon, M. J.
- 13-24 Relative mean-variance efficiency of a given portfolio: An application to mutual fund performance
by Rahman, Shafiqur
- 25-40 Are consumers Ricardian? Evidence for Canada
by Evans, Paul & Hasan, Iftekhar
- 41-62 Financial commodities: Catalysts in the evolution of capital markets
by Fischer, K. P. & Palasvirta, A. P.
- 63-74 Do budget deficits cause capital inflows? Evidence from the United States
by Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Payesteh, Sayeed
- 95-112 Determinants of the inflation rate in the United States: A VAR investigation
by Dhakal, Dharmendra & Kandil, Magda & Sharma, Subhash C. & Trescott, Paul B.
- 113-116 An empirical note on deficits, interest rates, and international flows
by Brazelton, W. Robert
- 117-120 Federal budget deficits, interest rates, and international capital flows: A further note
by Cebula, Richard J. & Koch, James V.
1993, Volume 33, Issue Supplement 1
- 1-8 Preface and interpretative summary
by Cleaves, Peter & Conroy, Michael & Baer, Werner
- 9-19 The state and the private sector in Latin America: Reflections on the past, the present and the future
by Edwards, Jack K. & Baer, Werner
- 21-44 Privatization and regulation in Brazil: The 1990-1992 policies and the challenges ahead
by De P. Abreu, Marcelo & Werneck, Rogerio L. F.
- 45-66 Privatization: The Mexican case
by Bazdresch P., Carlos & Elizondo, Carlos
- 67-93 Privatization in Argentina
by Petrecolla, Alberto & Porto, Alberto & Gerchunoff, Pablo
- 95-112 A review of Chilean privatization experience
by Meller, Patricio
- 113-114 Comments on Patrico Meller's paper at LA 2000
by Maloney, W. F.
- 115-118 Privatization in Mexico and Chile: Comments on Bazdresch and Elizondo and Meller
by Welch, John H.
- 119-133 Regulation in Latin America: Prospects for the 1990s
by Birch, Melissa & Braga, C. A. Primo
- 135-155 The role of trust and the law in privatization
by Orr, Daniel & Ulen, Thomas S.
- 157-160 Comments
by Sherwood, Robert M.
- 161-163 Some neglected issues
by Schuh, G. Edward
1993, Volume 33, Issue 4
- 305-323 Yale and the monetary interpretation of the Great Depression
by Steindl, Frank G.
- 325-342 Credit rationing and macroeconomic adjustment in Latin America
by Rockerbie, Duane W.
- 343-358 The exchange value of the dollar and the U.S. trade balance: An empirical investigation based on cointegradon and Granger causality tests
by Mahdavi, Saeid & Sohrabian, Ahmad
- 359-381 The theory and practice of finance in the 1990s
by Petry, Glenn H. & Sprow, James
- 383-408 Measuring technical and scale inefficiencies in the beer industry: Nonparametric and parametric evidence
by Elyasiani, Elyas & Mehdian, Seyed