The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance
2000, Volume 40, Issue 2
- 229-245 Stock prices and domestic and international macroeconomic activity: a cointegration approach
by Nasseh, Alireza & Strauss, Jack
- 247-262 Cannibalization risk and limited liability: implications for firm valuation and capital budgeting
by Joaquin, Domingo Castelo & Khanna, Naveen
- 263-277 On the differential market reaction to dividend initiations
by Jin, Zhenhu
- 279-293 The effects of tax and regulatory changes on commercial bank dividend policy
by Casey, K. Michael & Dickens, Ross N.
2000, Volume 40, Issue 1
- 1-2 Introduction
by Baer, Werner & Miles, William
- 3-24 Privatization and restructuring of banks in Brazil
by Baer, Werner & Nazmi, Nader
- 25-44 Financial opening and deregulation in Brazil in the 1990s Moving towards a new pattern of development financing?
by Studart, Rogerio
- 45-69 Bank transformation and privatization in Brazil Financial federalism and some lessons about bank privatization
by Makler, Harry M.
- 71-84 Reducing government bank presence in the Brazilian financial system Why and how
by NessJr., Walter L.
- 85-106 Exploring the economic rationale of extremes in GARCH generated betas The case of U.S. banks
by McKenzie, Michael D. & Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W. & Ho, Yew Kee
- 107-120 The impact of the early withdrawal option on time deposit pricing
by Gilkeson, James H. & Porter, Gary E. & Smith, Stanley D.
- 121-137 Exploring the interaction between efficiency wages and labor market frictions
by Cahill, Miles B.
- 139-153 Inflation and debt maturity
by Aarstol, Michael P.
1999, Volume 39, Issue 5
- 579-595 Introduction
by Ferber, Marianne A.
- 597-610 Labor force participation
by Jacobsen, Joyce P.
- 611-624 Occupational gender segregation Trends and explanations
by Preston, Jo Anne
- 625-646 Analyzing the gender pay gap
by Blau, Francine D. & Kahn, Lawrence M.
- 647-661 Women's position in the household
by Spitze, Glenna & Loscocco, Karyn
- 663-678 Women of color in the labor market
by Malveaux, Julianne
- 679-698 The status of academic women in the 1990s No longer outsiders, but not yet equals
by Toutkoushian, Robert K.
- 699-722 Women in blue collar and related occupations at the end of the millennium
by O'Farrell, Brigid
- 723-742 Women and poverty: Beyond earnings and welfare
by Albelda, Randy
- 743-755 The case for comparable worth
by England, Paula
- 757-768 The continuing need for affirmative action
by Bergmann, Barbara R.
- 769-779 Gender, self-employment and microcredit programs An Indonesian case study
by Panjaitan-Drioadisuryo, R.D.M. & Cloud, Kathleen
- 781-783 Where do we go from here?
by Ferber, Marianne A. & Nelson, Julie A.
1999, Volume 39, Issue 4
- 439-444 Physicians and the changing health care marketplace
by White, William D.
- 445-464 Risk-bearing arrangements and capital financing strategies for integrated health systems: Conceptual framework and case examples
by Conrad, Douglas A.
- 465-490 Acquisition of physician group practices by for-profit and not-for-profit organizations
by Burns, Lawton R. & DeGraaff, Robert A. & Singh, Harbir
- 491-511 Effects of managed care market penetration on physicians' labor supply decisions
by Mitchell, Jean M. & Hadley, Jack
- 513-527 On the design and efficiency of a participating growth bill
by Ebrahim, M. Shahid & Bashir, Abdel-Hameed M.
- 529-545 Learning and mean reversion in asset returns
by Cassano, Mark A.
- 547-563 Characteristics of firms that issue convertible debt versus convertible preferred stock
by Lee, Hei Wai & Figlewicz, Raymond E.
- 565-571 Comment: further sufficient conditions for an inverse relationship between productivity and employment
by Chow, Kong Wing & Wong, Kit Pong
- 573-574 A note on "further sufficient conditions for an inverse relationship between productivity and employment"
by Firoozi, Fathali
1999, Volume 39, Issue 3
- 317-328 Ordering utility functions based on mean-seeking behavior
by Gelles, Gregory M. & Mitchell, Douglas W.
- 329-340 Fluctuating uncertainty and flexibility value
by Shin, Kwanho
- 341-361 The visibility effects of Amex listing
by Bakera, H. Kent & Powell, Gary E. & Weaver, Daniel G.
- 363-377 Does the market perceive a difference in rating agencies?
by Kish, Richard J. & Hogan, Karen M. & Olson, Gerard
- 379-389 Stock price reactions to recommendations in the Wall Street Journal "Small Stock Focus" column
by Ferreira, Eurico J. & Smith, Stanley D.
- 391-407 The maturity structure of term premia with time-varying expected returns
by Hooker, Mark A.
- 409-418 Agency costs and dividend payments: The case of bank holding companies
by Filbeck, Greg & Mullineaux, Donald J.
1999, Volume 39, Issue 2
- 169-191 Formal sector job growth and women's labor sector participation: The case of Mexico
by Anderson, Joan B. & Dimon, Denise
- 193-211 Econometric tests of alternative scale variables in money demand in open economies: International evidence from selected OECD countries
by Elyasiani, Elyas & Zadeh, Ali H. M.
- 213-231 Cointegration and joint efficiency of international commodity markets
by Hassapis, Christis & Kalyvitis, Sarantis & Pittis, Nikitas
- 233-247 Consumer durable goods in an international real business cycle framework
by Nadenichek, Jon
- 249-265 Price discrimination and bargaining power in the U.S. vaccine market: Implications for childhood immunization policy
by Kauf, Teresa L.
- 267-289 Physicians and the risk of medical malpractice: The role of prior litigation in predicting the future
by Jensen, Gail A. & Spurr, Stephen J. & Weycker, Derek A. & Bulycheva, Maria
- 291-301 Selling accounts receivable and the underinvestment problem
by Sopranzetti, Ben J.
- 303-316 Large price movements and short-lived changes in spreads, volume, and selling pressure
by Brooks, Raymond M. & Park, JinWoo & Su, Tie
1999, Volume 39, Issue 1
- 1-19 Explaining movements in UK stock prices
by Cuthbertson, Keith & Hayes, Simon & Nitzsche, Dirk
- 21-36 Evidence of nonlinear speculative bubbles in pacific-rim stock markets
by Ahmed, Ehsan & Barkley Rosser, J. Jr. & Uppal, Jamshed Y.
- 37-58 Thin trading and mispricing profit opportunities in the Canadian commodity futures
by Elfakhani, Said & Visiting Professor & Wionzek, Ritchie J. & Chaudhury, Mohammed
- 59-76 Testing for linear and nonlinear granger causality in the stock price-volume relation: Korean evidence
by Silvapulle, Param & Choi, Jong-Seo
- 77-100 Low and high frequency macroeconomic forces in asset pricing
by Bjornson, Bruce & Hong Shik Kim & Lee, Kiseok
- 101-112 Cross-sectional variation in the stock market reaction to bond rating changes
by Goh, Jeremy C. & Ederington, Louis H.
- 113-128 Calibration of a model of declining prices in cattle auctions
by Engelbrecht-Wiggans, Richard & Kahn, Charles M.
- 129-146 A profitable trading rule for net borrowers on settlement Wednesday
by Brown, Craig R. & Griffiths, Mark D. & Hansen, Wayne E. & Winters, Drew B.
- 147-168 Hedging and pricing with tax law uncertainty: Managing under an Arkansas Best doctrine
by Milevsky, Moshe Arye & Prisman, Eliezer Z.
1998, Volume 38, Issue 4
- 771-798 Seniority, external labor markets, and faculty pay
by Brown, Byron W. & Woodbury, Stephen A.
- 799-824 Market power among physicians in the U.S., 1983-1991
by Seldon, Barry J. & Jung, Chulho & Cavazos, Roberto J.
- 825-841 The determinants of monetary target credibility
by Peter Ferderer, J.
- 843-861 Pricing-to-market in U.S. imports and exports: A time series and cross-sessional study
by Yang, Jiawen
- 863-873 Tests of the money-output relation using disaggregated data
by Shelley, Gary L. & Wallace, Frederick H.
- 875-897 Household demand for financial assets: A life-cycle analysis
by Tin, Jan
- 899-906 A possible adverse effect of needing to issue new equity in the future
by Murphy, Austin
- 907-925 A model of selective tendering: Does bidding competition deter opportunism by contractors?
by Kim, In-Gyu
1998, Volume 38, Issue 3, Part 2
- 533-535 Real Options: Developments and Applications
by Pinches, George E.
- 537-567 Challenges to the Practical Implementation of Modeling and Valuing Real Options
by Lander, Diane M. & Pinches, George E.
- 569-577 Options in Mutually Exclusive Projects of Unequal Lives
by Brown, Christine & Davis, Kevin
- 579-598 Comparing Mean Reverting Versus Pure Diffusion Interest Rate Processes in Valuing Postponement Options
by Spahr, Ronald W. & Schwebach, Robert G.
- 599-613 Interest Rates, Inflation and the Value of Growth Options
by Hevert, Kathleen T. & McLaughlin, Robyn M. & Taggart, Robert A.
- 615-633 Valuation of Internal Growth Opportunities: The Case of a Biotechnology Company
by Ottoo, Richard E.
- 635-650 Investment in Innovations and Competition: An Option Pricing Approach
by Reiss, Ariane
- 651-674 Valuing Flexible Manufacturing Facilities as Options
by Chen, Andrew H. & Kensinger, John W. & Conover, James A.
- 675-692 Multi-stage Real Options: The Cases of Information Technology Infrastructure and International Bank Expansion
by Panayi, Sylvia & Trigeorgis, Lenos
- 693-709 A Binomial Lattice Approach for Valuing a Mining Property IPO
by Kelly, Simone
- 711-723 Valuation of Interacting Real Options in a Tollroad Infrastructure Project
by Rose, Simon
- 725-754 Estimating Volatility and Dividend Yield When Valuing Real Options to Invest or Abandon
by Davis, Graham A.
- 755-769 Optimal Timing of a Mine Expansion: Implementing a Real Options Model
by Cortazar, Gonzalo & Casassus, Jaime
1998, Volume 38, Issue 2
- 149-166 The valuation of a firm advertising optimally
by Epstein, D. & Mayor, N. & Schonbucher, P. & Whalley, A. E. & Wilmott, P.
- 167-180 Estimating EGARCH-M models: Science or art?
by St. Pierre, Eileen F.
- 181-192 Hysteresis in unemployment: Evidence from OECD countries
by Song, Frank M. & Wu, Yangru
- 193-215 Regional differences in chronic long-term unemployment
by Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S.
- 217-225 Income uncertainty, substitution effect and relative yield spreads
by Xu, Kuan
- 227-237 Sales tax equity: Who bears the burden?
by Derrick, Frederick W. & Scott, Charles E.
- 239-249 The effect of military participation on women's wages with double correction for selectivity bias
by Stranahan, Harriet
1998, Volume 38, Issue 1
- 1-24 On the welfare effects of mergers: Short run vs. long run
by Polasky, Stephen & Mason, Charles F.
- 25-45 Cross-border mergers and acquisitions: The undervaluation hypothesis
by Gonzalez, Pedro & Vasconcellos, Geraldo M. & Kish, Richard J.
- 47-59 Direct foreign investment and expropriation incentives: A mitigating role for match-specific capital
by Choi, Yongjae & Esfahani, Hadi Salehi
- 61-72 Determinants of allocative efficiency losses from oligopoly power
by Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Bhuyan, Sanjib
- 73-91 An agency analysis of the effect of long-term performance plans on managerial decision making
by Ferris, Stephen P. & Kumar, Raman & Sant, Rajiv & Sopariwala, Parvez R.
- 93-109 Institutional portfolio composition: An examination of the prudent investment hypothesis
by Eakins, Stanley G. & Stansell, Stanley R. & Wertheim, Paul E.
- 111-128 Fragmentation, competition, and limit orders: New evidence from interday spreads
by Porter, David C. & Thatcher, John G.
- 129-148 The bid-ask bias and the size effect: A test of the Blume-Stambaugh bid-ask bias effect hypothesis
by Branch, Ben & Echevarria, David P.
1997, Volume 37, Issue Supplement 1
- 183-188 Special issue: The economics of immigrant skill and adjustment
by Chiswick, Barry R.
- 189-208 The decline in immigrant entry earnings: Less transferable skills or lower ability?
by Duleep, Harriet Orcutt & Regets, Mark C.
- 209-228 The increase in idleness of immigrant arrivals: The role of age at arrival, refugees and country of origin
by Fry, Richard
- 229-243 The educational attainment of immigrants: Changes over time
by Cohen, Yinon & Zach, Tzippi & Chiswick, Barry
- 245-262 The effects of education, parental background and ethnic concentration on language
by Dustmann, Christian
- 263-284 The internal migration of immigrants: Israel 1969-1972
by Beenstock, Michael
- 285-313 Post-migration investment in education by immigrants in the United States
by Khan, Aliya Hashmi
- 315-343 The progress of Mexican and white non-Hispanic immigrants in California and Texas, 1980 to 1990
by Reimers, Cordelia W.
- 345-360 What difference does a country make? Earnings by Soviets in the Soviet Union and in the United States
by Gang, Ira N. & Stuart, Robert C.
- 361-377 Unemployment and wages of ethnic Germans
by Bauer, Thomas & Zimmermann, Klaus F.
- 379-397 Immigrant performance in Germany: Labor earnings of ethnic German migrants and foreign guest-workers
by Schmidt, Christoph M.
1997, Volume 37, Issue 4
- 745-746 Special section: Native Americans: Then and now
by Chiswick, Barry R.
- 747-767 Population equilibrium in primitive societies
by Locay, Luis
- 769-785 Conservation-Native American style
by Anderson, Terry L.
- 787-807 The determinants of earnings differentials for indigenous Americans: Human capital, location, or discrimination?
by Hurst, Michael
- 809-821 Differences in education and earnings across ethnic groups in Guatemala
by Patrinos, Harry Anthony
- 823-841 Temporary layoffs in the U.S. unemployment insurance system: A comparison of two experience rating methods
by Cook, Zena
- 843-857 Consumer expectations and cyclical durations
by Abderrezak, Ali
- 859-885 Dynamic linkages and the propagation mechanism driving major international stock markets: An analysis of the pre- and post-crash eras
by Masih, Abul M. M. & Masih, Rumi
- 887-903 An analysis of stock market transactions data
by McCullough, B. D.
- 905-921 The impact of the WARN Act on firm value
by Alexander, John Jr. & Spivey, Michael F.
1997, Volume 37, Issue 3
- 579-603 Medicare, access, and physicians' willingness to accept new Medicare patients
by Gillis, Kurt D. & Lee, David W.
- 605-631 Adoption of innovations in higher education
by Getz, Malcolm & Siegfried, John J. & Anderson, Kathryn H.
- 633-645 City size and geographic segmentation in the municipal bond market
by Rivers, Mary Jean & Yates, Barbara M.
- 647-665 An analysis of the role of firm reputation in the market's reaction to corporate dividends
by Brucato, Peter Jr. & Smith, David M.
- 667-682 An alternative specification for intraday simultaneity in spot and futures markets
by Mercer, Jeffrey M.
- 683-696 Mean reversion in asset returns with varying debt and equity components: Evidence and implications from preferred stock
by Chen, Carl R. & Sauer, David A.
- 697-707 Jensen, Myers-Majluf, free cash flow and the returns to bidders
by McCabe, George M. & Yook, Ken C.
- 709-724 Further evidence on corporate bonds with event-risk covenants: Inferences from Standard and Poor's and Moody's bond ratings
by Bae, Sung C. & Klein, Daniel P.
- 725-737 The individual investor and the weekend effect: A reexamination with intraday data
by Brooks, Raymond M. & Kim, Hongshik
- 739-743 Accrued interest and bond prices
by Gosnell, Thomas F. & Harikumar, T. & Huson, Andrea J.
1997, Volume 37, Issue 2
- 399-403 Introduction
by Kauffman, Kyle D.
- 405-417 Explaining the rise in antebellum pauperism, 1850-1860: New evidence
by Kiesling, L. Lynne & Margo, Robert A.
- 419-438 Shutting down welfare: Two cases from America's past
by Hannon, Joan Underhill
- 439-448 Was there a nineteenth century welfare magnet in the United States?: Preliminary results from New York City and Brooklyn
by Kauffman, Kyle D. & Kiesling, L. Lynne
- 449-468 Kicking the Malthusian vice: Lessons from the abolition of "welfare" in the late nineteenth century
by Ziliak, Stephen T.
- 469-489 The evolution of suburban and radial rail passenger transportation in the United States
by Due, John F.
- 491-510 Covariance risk, consumption risk, and international stock market returns
by Lee, Wai
- 511-522 Price effects of stock market liberalization in Taiwan
by Kwan, Felix B. & Reyes, Mario G.
- 523-545 Using nonlinear dynamics to test for market efficiency among the major U.S. stock exchanges
by Kohers, Theodor & Pandey, Vivek & Kohers, Gerald
- 547-562 Bankrupt stocks, reorganization plans and market efficiency: Are bankrupt stocks overpriced?
by Hubbard, Jefe & Stephenson, Kevin
- 563-578 A tax motivation for smoothing dividends
by Rozycki, John J.
1997, Volume 37, Issue 1
- 1-21 The viability of minority-owned banks
by Lawrence, Edward C.
- 23-37 Discrimination in mortgage lending: The impact on minority defaults in the Stafford Loan program
by Boyd, Laura A.
- 39-57 Thrift cost inefficiencies: Did deregulation help?
by Pantalone, Coleen C. & Platt, Marjorie B.
- 59-77 The capital structure of hospitals and reimbursement policy
by Ligon, James A.
- 79-95 Capital depreciation and investment demand
by Terregrossa, Ralph A.
- 97-114 Post offering earnings performance of firms that issue seasoned equity: The role of growth opportunities
by Lee, Hei Wai
- 115-137 The German reunification, changing capital market conditions, and the performance of German initial public offerings
by Steib, Stefan & Mohan, Nancy
- 139-150 The U.S. dollar in global money markets: A multivariate cointegration analysis
by Lin, Antsong & Swanson, Peggy E.
- 151-183 Functional form of stock return model: Some international evidence
by Chaudhury, M. M. & Lee, C. F.
1996, Volume 36, Issue Supplement 1
- 1-4 Introduction
by Baer, Werner & Williamson, H. Jr.
- 5-8 Economics at Illinois: The first hundred years
by Leuthold, Jane H.
- 9-16 Keynote address: Financial markets at the end of the 20th century
by Corzine, Jon
- 17-35 Bounded rationality and game theory
by Samuelson, Larry
- 37-60 On time series econometrics
by Cribari-Neto, Francisco
- 61-72 The past and future of economic history in economics
by White, Eugene N.
- 73-84 The use of economics in the public policy debate in telecommunications
by Cornell, Nina W.
- 85-100 Emerging policy issues in development finance
by Gooptu, Sudarshan
- 101-114 Capital flows and economic growth: Reflections on Latin America in the 1990s
by Welch, John H.
- 115-151 Economic policy making in sub-Saharan Africa and IMF involvement
by Fasano-Filho, Ugo
- 153-160 The role of the economist in business
by Carlson, George N.
- 161-168 Economics and the media
by Boltz, Paul W.
1996, Volume 36, Issue 4
- 417-429 Pensions, non-discrimination policies, and the employment of older workers
by Garen, John & Berger, Mark & Scott, Frank
- 451-473 International linkages between short-term real interest rates
by Fujihara, Roger A. & Mougoue, Mbodja
- 475-484 Time series estimation of the bond default risk premium
by Clinebell, John M. & Kahl, Douglas K. & Stevens, Jerry L.
- 485-494 The relationship between budget deficits and capital inflows: Further econometric evidence
by Murthy, N. R. Vasudeva & Phillips, Joseph M.
- 507-527 The Stock market impact of social pressure: The South African divestment case
by Lytle, Laurian Casson & Joy, O. Maurice
- 529-538 Conditional heteroskedasticity adjusted market model and an event study
by Corhay, A. & Rad, A. Tourani
1996, Volume 36, Issue 3
- 269-270 Preface to minisymposium on drawing the right lessons from the S&L mess
by Kane, Edward J.
- 271-290 Opportunity cost of capital forbearance during the final years of the FSLIC mess
by Kane, Edward J. & Yu, Min-Teh
- 291-310 Opportunity costs incurred by the RTC in cleaning up S&L insolvencies
by Ely, David P. & Varaiya, Nikhil P.
- 311-325 Response of uninsured depositors to impending S&L failures: Evidence of depositor discipline
by Goldberg, Lawrence G. & Hudgins, Sylvia C.
- 327-346 Equilibrium term structure relations of risky assets in incomplete markets
by Eckwert, Bernhard
- 347-363 Mutual fund investment performance
by Droms, William G. & Walker, David A.
- 365-375 The cross-section of stock returns and survivorship bias: Evidence from delisted stocks
by Davis, James L.
- 377-394 Interpreting mean reversion in stock returns
by Gangopadhyay, Partha & Reinganum, Marc R.
- 395-409 Do cash flow variables improve the predictive accuracy of a Cox proportional hazards model for bank failure?
by Henebry, Kathleen L.
- 411-415 A brief note on the macroeconomic consequences of random production failures
by Matthews, Peter Hans
1996, Volume 36, Issue 2
- 129-130 Introductory remarks
by Sorensen, Peter Birch
- 131-152 The changing role of the public sector: An ex-post view of the privatization process in Argentina
by Galiani, Sebastian & Petrecolla, Diego
- 153-165 The changing role of the state in Brazil
by Werneck, Rogerio L. F.
- 167-181 The changing role of the public sector: The Colombian case
by Carrasquilla, Alberto
- 183-195 Is one of the 'peace dividends' negative? Military expenditure and economic growth in the wealthy OECD countries
by Landau, Daniel
- 197-218 Simple vs. generalized interest rate and purchasing power parity models of exchange rates
by Zhou, Su & Mahdavi, Saeid
- 219-231 Risk and return in trading closed-end country funds: Can trading beat holding foreign stocks?
by Arak, Marcelle & Taylor, Dean
- 233-248 Cash flow instability and the demand for liquid assets by firms in Brazilian Manufacturing
by Falls, Gregory A. & Natke, Paul A.
- 249-268 The social costs of monopoly and regulation: Posner reconsidered again
by Mantell, Edmund H.
1996, Volume 36, Issue 1
- 1-16 Inflation and welfare in a stochastic production economy
by Mukherji, Nivedita
- 17-37 Trends in U.S. income inequality: Evidence from a panel of states
by Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S. & Levernier, William
- 39-54 Economics of scale and scope in small depository institutions: Evidence from U.S. cooperative banks
by Rezvanian, Rasoul & Mahdian, Seyed & Elyasiani, Elyas
- 55-64 Seigniorage and the Mexican financial crisis
by Loviscek, Anthony L.
- 65-87 Modelling money demand in the United Arab Emirates
by Darrat, Ali F. & Al-Mutawa, Ahmed
- 89-115 Overreaction to takeover speculation
by Zivney, Terry L. & Bertin, William J. & Torabzadeh, Khalil M.
- 117-126 Investor sentiment and the closed-end fund evidence: Impact of the January effect
by Leonard, David C. & Shull, David M.
1995, Volume 35, Issue 35
- 483-496 The impact of the Federal Reserve's source of strength policy on bank holding companies
by Schinski, Michael & Mullineaux, Donald
- 497-514 Market discipline by depositors: Evidence from reduced-form equations
by Park, Sangkyun
- 515-532 Employer search and worker-firm match quality
by Sicilian, Paul
- 533-550 The effects of ownership form on profit maximization and cost minimization behavior within municipal and cooperative electrical distribution utilities
by Claggett, E. Jr. & Hollas, Daniel R. & Stansell, Stanley R.
- 551-577 Economic growth in the American states: The end of convergence?
by Crihfield, John B. & Giertz, J. Fred & Mehta, Shekhar
- 579-593 Intertemporal stability in international stock market relationships: A revisit
by Tang, Gordon Y. N.
- 595-602 Adding mystery to the case of the missing currency
by Haughton, Jonathan
1995, Volume 35, Issue 4
- 339-363 Risk dominance and coordination failures in static games
by Straub, Paul G.
- 365-386 Smoking, self-selection and absenteeism
by Leigh, J. Paul
- 387-395 Earnings inequality narrows for young workers despite a widening wage structure
by Ragan, James Jr. & Bratsberg, Bernt