Optimal Cover Prices and the Effects of Website Provision on Advertising and Magazine Demand
I derive and estimate a model for cover price setting in print media markets where actors are faced by two interrelated demand curves: the demand for the print medium and the demand for advertising space. Publicly available data on German women?s magazines observed between 1998 and 2001 are used in the GMM estimation. Main findings are that my estimated marginals cost coincide well with those of industry sources, magazines with a high circulation elasticity of advertising demand price markedly below marginal cost and website provision neither has a significant effect on magazine nor on advertising demand. Keywords: magazines, cost estimation, GMM estimation, website provision
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosse, James N, 1970. "Estimating Cost Function Parameters without Using Cost Data: Illustrated Methodology," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 256-75, March.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 2001.
"The effects of website provision on the demand for German women's magazines,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
01-69, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ulrich Kaiser, 2002. "The Effects of Website Provision on the Demand for German Women's Magazines," NBER Working Papers 8806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Johan Stennek & Frank Verboven, 2000.
"Efficiency Gains from Mergers,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 00-09, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Merrilees, William J, 1983. "Anatomy of a Price Leadership Challenge: An Evaluation of Pricing Strategies in the Australian Newspaper Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 291-311, March.
- Marc Rysman, 2004. "Competition Between Networks: A Study of the Market for Yellow Pages," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(2), pages 483-512.
- Thompson, R Stephen, 1989. "Circulation versus Advertiser Appeal in the Newspaper Industry: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 259-71, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:568. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.