Understanding barriers and opportunities for adaptation planning in cities
This paper analyzes barriers and opportunities for effective adaptation planning in cities. In particular, we focus on the preparation and adoption of adaptation strategies and action plans by urban planners. To guide the discussion, we develop a two-tier framework of variables influencing decision-making, which is based on bounded rationality. We argue that whether or not urban planners take action to foster adaptation to climate change depends on three first-tier variables: information, incentives and resources. In addition, we point out that each of these variables may itself be a function of a set of underlying second-tier variables, including the natural and socio-economic environment, actor-specific characteristics of the decision-maker, and the institutional environment. Within this framework, we specify barriers and opportunities for effective adaptation planning as hampering or promoting characteristics of these first- and second-tier variables. We apply and test the framework within the context of four case studies carried out in Lima (Peru), Santiago (Chile), Berlin and Sangerhausen (both Germany).
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Permoserstraße 15, 04318 Leipzig|
Phone: ++49 - 0341 - 235-2771
Fax: ++49 - 0341 - 235-2825
Web page: http://www.ufz.de/index.php?en=1445
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helene Amundsen & Frode Berglund & Hege Westskog, 2010. "Overcoming barriers to climate change adaptation—a question of multilevel governance?," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(2), pages 276-289, April.
- Thomas G Measham & Benjamin L Preston & Cassandra Brooke & Tim F Smith & Craig Morrison & Geoff Withycombe & Russell Gorddard, 2010. "Adapting to Climate Change Through Local Municipal Planning: Barriers and Opportunities," Socio-Economics and the Environment in Discussion (SEED) Working Paper Series 2010-05, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems.
- Heuson, Clemens & Gawel, Erik & Gebhardt, Oliver & Hansjürgens, Bernd & Lehmann, Paul & Meyer, Volker & Schwarze, Reimund, 2012. "Ökonomische Grundfragen der Klimaanpassung: Umrisse eines neuen Forschungsprogramms," UFZ Reports 02/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ).
- Jan Corfee-Morlot & Ian Cochran & Stéphane Hallegatte & Pierre-Jonathan Teasdale, 2011.
"Multilevel risk governance and urban adaptation policy,"
Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 169-197, January.
- Jan Corfee-Morlot & Ian Cochran & Stéphane Hallegatte & Pierre-Jonathan Teasdale, 2011. "Multilevel risk governance and urban adaptation policy," Post-Print hal-00659280, HAL.
- Klaus Eisenack & Rebecca Stecker, 2012. "A framework for analyzing climate change adaptations as actions," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 243-260, March.
- Stéphane Hallegatte & Fanny Henriet & Jan Corfee-Morlot, 2011.
"The economics of climate change impacts and policy benefits at city scale: a conceptual framework,"
Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 51-87, January.
- Stéphane Hallegatte & Fanny Henriet & Jan Corfee-Morlot, 2011. "The economics of climate change impacts and policy benefits at city scale: a conceptual framework," Post-Print hal-00716735, HAL.
- Stéphane Hallegatte & Fanny Henriet & Jan Corfee-Morlot, 2008. "The Economics of Climate Change Impacts and Policy Benefits at City Scale: A Conceptual Framework," OECD Environment Working Papers 4, OECD Publishing.
- Daniel Osberghaus & Astrid Dannenberg & Tim Mennel & Bodo Sturm, 2010. "The role of the government in adaptation to climate change," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(5), pages 834-850, October.
- Alistair Hunt & Paul Watkiss, 2011. "Climate change impacts and adaptation in cities: a review of the literature," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 13-49, January.
- Burch, Sarah, 2010. "In pursuit of resilient, low carbon communities: An examination of barriers to action in three Canadian cities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 7575-7585, December.
- Thomas Measham & Benjamin Preston & Timothy Smith & Cassandra Brooke & Russell Gorddard & Geoff Withycombe & Craig Morrison, 2011. "Adapting to climate change through local municipal planning: barriers and challenges," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 16(8), pages 889-909, December.
- Erik Gawel & Clemens Heuson, 2012. "Ökonomische Grundfragen der Klimaanpassung," Wirtschaftsdienst, Springer;German National Library of Economics, vol. 92(7), pages 480-487, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ufzdps:192012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.