The impact of locating production abroad on activities at home
We analyze whether firms that establish their first affiliate in a foreign country have a different pattern of growth in output, employment, capital and productivity than firms that remain national. We use firm-level data on German multinational activities and appropriate matching techniques to compare the performance of German multinational firms with their national counterparts. We do not find a negative effect of firm's decision to establish a foreign affiliate on growth in its employment at home. There is also no significant effect of the internationalization decision of German firms on other measures of activities at home.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/en/faculties/wirtschafts-und-sozialwissenschaftliche-fakultaet/faecher/wirtschaftswissenschaft.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Davide Castellani & Anne-Célia Disdier, 2006.
"How Does Investing in Cheap Labour Countries Affect Performance at Home? France and Italy,"
Development Working Papers
215, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Castellani, Davide & Disdier, Anne-Célia, 2006. "How Does Investing in Cheap Labour Countries Affect Performance at Home? France and Italy," CEPR Discussion Papers 5765, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alexander Hijzen & Sébastien Jean & Thierry Mayer, 2009.
"The Effects at Home of Initiating Production Abroad: Evidence from Matched French Firms,"
2009-39, CEPII research center.
- Alexander Hijzen & Sébastien Jean & Thierry Mayer, 2011. "The effects at home of initiating production abroad: evidence from matched French firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 147(3), pages 457-483, September.
- Alexander Hijzen & Sébastien Jean & Thierry Mayer, . "The Effects at Home of Initiating Production Abroad: Evidence from Matched French Firms," Discussion Papers 09/24, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Castellani, Davide, 2004.
"Investments Abroad and Performance at Home: Evidence from Italian Multinationals,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4284, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Davide Castellani, 2003. "Investments Abroad and Performance at Home Evidence from Italian Multinationals," Development Working Papers 180, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuedps:314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.