Regulation, investment and efficiency in the transition to next generation networks: Evidence from the European Union
This article explores the impact of public policy, technological change, and the development of Internet connectivity in EU members. The analysis illustrates that the results of previous empirical literature on the interplay between regulation, competition, and investment depend on the construction of indicators employed to evaluate this interaction. Furthermore, the article points out that the traditional policy model and related empirical literature treats fixed capital inputs in networks as a measure of digital infrastructure quality/outcomes. Using broadband speed measurements between 2007 and 2012, the article addresses this gap in the literature and evaluates the determinants of digital infrastructure quality in the EU. The analysis suggests the primary driver of network quality in the medium to long term is the willingness and/or ability of operators to reinvest more of their revenues in network capacity improvements.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/ |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo Cambini and Virginia Silvestri, 2012. "Technology Investment and Alternative Regulatory Regimes with Demand Uncertainty," RSCAS Working Papers 2012/15, European University Institute.
- Steffen HOERNIG & Stephan JAY & Werner NEU & Karl-Heinz NEUMANN & Thomas PLÜCKEBAUM & Ingo VOGELSANG, 2012. "Wholesale Pricing, NGA Take-Up and Competition," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(86), pages 153-174, 2nd quart.
- Montolio, Daniel & Trillas, Francesc, 2013.
"Regulatory federalism and industrial policy in broadband telecommunications,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 18-31.
- Daniel Montolio & Francesc Trillas, 2011. "Regulatory federalism and industrial policy in broadband telecommunications," Working Papers 2011/15, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- de Bijl, Paul W.J. & Peitz, Martin, 2005.
"Local Loop Unbundling in Europe: Experience, Prospects and Policy Challenges,"
2511, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Bijl, Paul W.J. & Peitz, Martin, 2005. "Local Loop Unbundling in Europe: Experience, Prospects and Policy Challenges," MPRA Paper 2441, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & Peitz, M., 2005. "Local Loop Unbundling in Europe : Experience, Prospects and Policy Challenges," Discussion Paper 2005-008, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Jeanne-Mey Sun & Jacques Pelkmans, 1995. "Why Liberalisation Needs Centralisation: Subsidiarity and EU Telecoms," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 635-664, 09.
- Arndt Christiansen and Wolfgang Kerber & Wolfgang Kerber, 2006. "Competition Policy with Optimally Differentiated Rules Instead of "Per se Rules vs. Rule of Reason"," Marburg Working Papers on Economics 200606, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Martimort, David, 1998. "Transaction costs, institutional design and the separation of powers," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 673-684, May.
- Cambini, Carlo & Silvestri, Virginia, 2012. "Technology investment and alternative regulatory regimes with demand uncertainty," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 212-230.
- Choi, Sujin, 2011. "Facilities to service based competition, not service to facilities based, for broadband penetration: A comparative study between the United States and South Korea," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 804-817.
- BOUCKAERT, Jan & VAN DIJK, Theon & VERBOVEN, Frank, 2010.
"Access regulation, competition, and broadband penetration: An international study,"
2010020, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Bouckaert, Jan & van Dijk, Theon & Verboven, Frank, 2010. "Access regulation, competition, and broadband penetration: An international study," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 661-671, December.
- Maya Bacache & Marc Bourreau & Germain Gaudin, 2014. "Dynamic Entry and Investment in New Infrastructures: Empirical Evidence from the Fixed Broadband Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 179-209, March.
- Waverman, Leonard & Koutroumpis, Pantelis, 2011. "Benchmarking telecoms regulation - The Telecommunications Regulatory Governance Index (TRGI)," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 450-468, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itse13:88536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.