The influence of local loop unbundling on investment by incumbent telecommunications operators in the OECD member countries
This paper examines the influence of local loop unbundling (LLU) on incumbent telecommunications operators' investment in their respective telecommunications networks in OECD countries. In addition, the background of the influence is analyzed from both qualitatie and quantitative aspects. The study uses panel data (1995-2011) of capital expenditure(capex) and revenues to derive an investment function. The results indicate that LLU had a positive impact on investment by incumbent telecommunications operators in the United States, but a negative impact in Japan. These results echo those of previous empirical studies, which indicate that LLU can impact investment in various ways.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bouckaert, Jan & van Dijk, Theon & Verboven, Frank, 2010.
"Access regulation, competition, and broadband penetration: An international study,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 661-671, December.
- BOUCKAERT, Jan & VAN DIJK, Theon & VERBOVEN, Frank, 2010. "Access regulation, competition, and broadband penetration: An international study," Working Papers 2010020, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- de Bijl, Paul W.J. & Peitz, Martin, 2005.
"Local Loop Unbundling in Europe: Experience, Prospects and Policy Challenges,"
2511, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Bijl, Paul W.J. & Peitz, Martin, 2005. "Local Loop Unbundling in Europe: Experience, Prospects and Policy Challenges," MPRA Paper 2441, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & Peitz, M., 2005. "Local Loop Unbundling in Europe : Experience, Prospects and Policy Challenges," Discussion Paper 2005-008, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Michał Grajek & Lars-Hendrik R�ller, 2012.
"Regulation and Investment in Network Industries: Evidence from European Telecoms,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(1), pages 189 - 216.
- Michal Grajek & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2009. "Regulation and investment in network industries: Evidence from European telecoms," ESMT Research Working Papers ESMT-09-004, ESMT European School of Management and Technology.
- MichaÅ‚ Grajek & Lars-Hendrik RÃ¶ller, 2009. "Regulation and Investment in Network Industries: Evidence from European Telecoms," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-039, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Kotakorpi, Kaisa, 2006. "Access price regulation, investment and entry in telecommunications," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 1013-1020, September.
- Fazzari, Steven M. & Ferri, Piero & Greenberg, Edward, 2010. "Investment and the Taylor rule in a dynamic Keynesian model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2010-2022, October.
- Vareda, João, 2007.
"Unbundling and Incumbent Investment in Quality Upgrades and Cost Reduction,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp526, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- João Vareda, 2007. "Unbundling and Incumbent Investment in Quality Upgrades and Cost Reduction," Working Papers 31, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Tommaso M. Valletti & Carlo Cambini, 2005.
"Investments and Network Competition,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(2), pages 446-468, Summer.
- Garcia-Murillo, Martha, 2005. "International Broadband Deployment: The Impact of Unbundling," MPRA Paper 2442, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itse13:88499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.