Geringverdiener: wem und wie gelingt der Aufstieg?
Using representative linked employer-employee data of the German Federal Employment Agency, this paper analyzes to which extent full-time employees who earned low wages (less than two-thirds of the median wage) in 1998/99 were able to earn higher wages in the following years, and which factors played a role in this context. It is shown that just one out of eight of these low-wage earners was able to earn wages above the low wage threshold in 2005. While younger and better qualified low-wage earners record a higher probability of getting higher wages, women are less successful. In addition, this probability shows a significant relationship with the size and the employment structure of the establish-ment. Moving from one establishment to another is an important instrument for leaving low-wage employment.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.arbeitsmarkt.wiso.uni-erlangen.de/english-version/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cappellari, Lorenzo, 2002. " Do the 'Working Poor' Stay Poor? An Analysis of Low Pay Transitions in Italy," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(2), pages 87-110, May.
- Stewart, Mark B & Swaffield, Joanna K, 1999.
"Low Pay Dynamics and Transition Probabilities,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(261), pages 23-42, February.
- Stewart, M.B. & Swaffield, J.K., 1997. "Low Pay Dynamics and Transition Probabilities," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 495, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Karl Brenke, 2006. "Wachsender Niedriglohnsektor in Deutschland: sind Mindestlöhne sinnvoll?," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 73(15/16), pages 197-206.
- Bernd Görzig & Martin Gornig & Axel Werwatz, 2004. "Ostdeutschland: strukturelle Niedriglohnregion?," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 71(44), pages 685-691.
- Bartel, Ann P & Lichtenberg, Frank R, 1987. "The Comparative Advantage of Educated Workers in Implementing New Technology," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Achatz, Juliane & Gartner, Hermann & Glück, Timea, 2004. "Bonus oder Bias? Mechanismen geschlechtsspezifischer Entlohnung," IAB Discussion Paper 200402, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Wolfgang Meister & Wolfgang Ochel & Martin Werding, 2007. "Reformkonzepte zur Erhöhung der Beschäftigung im Niedriglohnbereich: Ein Überblick," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 60(04), pages 03-20, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:faulre:57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.