Stochastic modeling of private equity: an equilibrium based approach to fund valuation
In this paper, we present a new approach to measure the returns of private equity investments based on a stochastic model of the dynamics of a private equity fund. Our stochastic model of a private equity fund consists of two independent stages: the stochastic model of the capital drawdowns and the stochastic model of the capital distributions over a fund's lifetime. Capital distributions are assumed to follow lognormal distributions in our approach. A mean-reverting square-root process is applied to model the rate at which capital is drawn over time. Applying equilibrium intertemporal asset pricing consideration, we are able to derive closed-form solutions for the market value and time-weighted model returns of a private equity fund.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arcisstr. 21, 80333 München|
Fax: 089 289 25070
Web page: http://www.cefs.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diller, Christian & Kaserer, Christoph, 2004. "European private equity funds: A cash flow based performance analysis," CEFS Working Paper Series 2004-01, Technische Universität München (TUM), Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS).
- Inderst, Roman & Muller, Holger M., 2004. "The effect of capital market characteristics on the value of start-up firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 319-356, May.
- Kaserer, Christoph & Wagner, Niklas & Achleitner, Ann-Kristin, 2003. "Managing investment risks of institutional private equity investors: The challenge of illiquidity," CEFS Working Paper Series 2003-01, Technische Universität München (TUM), Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS).
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- Alexander Ljungqvist & Matthew Richardson, 2003. "The cash flow, return and risk characteristics of private equity," NBER Working Papers 9454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cefswp:200602. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.