Regulation of new markets in telecommunications? Market dynamics and shrinking monopolistic bottlenecks
This paper aims at localizing network-specific market power in new markets. Three kinds of transmission qualities on service markets can be differentiated according to the products provided: narrowband services like PSTN/ISDN or GSM, semi high-speed broadband services like broadband internet access up to 6 Mbps download and VDSL services up to 50 Mbps. As long as, due to the absence of alternative network infrastructures, a monopolistic bottleneck in local infrastructure networks exists the question arises what the remaining bottleneck components are for these different markets. In this paper the shrinking-bottleneck hypothesis will be demonstrated.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kollegiengebäde II, Platz der Alten Synagoge, 79085 Freiburg|
Phone: +49 +761 / 203 2301
Fax: +49 +761 / 203 2303
Web page: http://portal.uni-freiburg.de/vw/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knieps, Günter, 2005. "Telecommunications markets in the stranglehold of EU regulation: on the need for a disaggregated regulatory contract," Discussion Papers 109 [rev.], University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
- Knieps, Günter, 2006. "The different role of mandatory access in German regulation of railroads and telecommunications," Discussion Papers 104 [rev.], University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
- G. Knieps, 2005. "Telecommunications Markets in the Stranglehold of EU Regulation: On the need for a disaggregated regulatory contract," Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Intersentia, vol. 6(2), pages 75-94, June.
- Knieps, Günter, 2006. "Die LKW-Maut und die drei Grundprobleme der Verkehrsinfrastrukturpolitik," Discussion Papers 111, University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Devereux, Michael P. & Guiso, Luigi & Hassler, John & Saint-Paul, Gilles & Sinn, Hans-Werner & Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Vives, Xavier, 2010. "The European economy," Munich Reprints in Economics 20104, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Aberle, Gerd, 2005. "Zukünftige Entwicklung des Güterverkehrs : Sind Sättigungsgrenzen erkennbar?," Discussion Papers 106, University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
- Weiß, Hans-Jörg, 2005. "Die Potenziale des Deprival Value-Konzepts zur entscheidungsorientierten Bewertung von Kapital in liberalisierten Netzindustrien," Discussion Papers 108, University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:aluivr:112r. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.